If I could torture whatever causes my social ineptitude, life wouldn't suck as much

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Ldub20, Oct 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ldub20

Ldub20 Well-Known Member

Why do people think life offers ANYTHING positive? If life offered positive things, I wouldn't think of killing myself. The only people who deserve to suffer are conceited, hypocritical, inconsiderate, self-entitled, self-absorbed, condescending, stuck-up egotists!

2. Samara

Samara Account Closed

Re: If I could torture whatever causes my social ineptitude, life wouldn't suck as mu

LOl Ldub your description of people that deserve to suffer sounds like basically every human on the planet, and one point or another in their life...

But, one of the reasons why people think life offers something positive, I believe, is what I have felt with my bestie: comfort, acceptance, like I can be the REAL me (and not have to pretend to be someone else, or fake like I am ok for the benefit of others but not myself etc...), and genuine laughter. The laughter one is the area that really got me, because I too have had your opinion about nothing positive really being there, or at least nothing concrete; but the laughing made it seem like none of the bullshit even existed. It made it feel like I could actually just "BE" for a change.

I suspect you have not been able to feel that way yet. :hug: :heart: :cuddle2:

3. Ldub20

Ldub20 Well-Known Member

Re: If I could torture whatever causes my social ineptitude, life wouldn't suck as mu

Maybe everyone possesses one of those traits, but if you possess ALL of them, you deserve to suffer.

4. Ldub20

Ldub20 Well-Known Member

If I could viciously eliminate whatever causes me to struggle with girls, life wouldn't suck as much!

5. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Here we are again. You spend too much time envying and focusing on others successes and becoming bitter towards these people rather than focusing on your own life. Yes, there are complete assholes in the world, but you just seem to be envyous towards anybody that has any kind of success that you don't. The more time you spend being jealous and envyous, the more bitter you are going to become. Focus on your life, what is is about you that causes these problems in social situations and girls? The answer lies within you, not some other "force" that causes you to be less than adequate in these situations.

6. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

For me, positive in life comes when ever I finish doing something that helps others. That may be returning from a day of helping at the Special Olympics, or it may come after spending an afternoon helping at the local animal shelter. Positive comes when I see my children achieve something that makes them pleased, or which contributes to their future well being. Positive comes when someone says "Thank You" for something that has been done for them. Positive comes from doing something that I enjoy - a task or hobby or something that shows good results.

Nobody deserves to suffer and even those who may be self absorbed or otherwise displeasing to some others do not deserve suffering either. The very notion that pain or suffering should be wished upon others is in itself a form of creating one's own pain. Positive results from thinking positively, and often times a positive thought can result in a positive action, reaction, activity, or solution. Once a person finds peace within themselves, positive is not a difficult thing to achieve. There will always be negative, mind you, because life is a fight to survive. We have cushioned that fight somewhat from the days of old where we had to hunt to survive, forge through the elements without heating or cooling, create our clothes from skins and leaves, and carve out caves to live in... but today's modern comforts do not mean that we don't still have to battle to always keep on floating.

So why do people think life offers anything positive? I don't think life offers anything specifically at all. I believe that we must create the positive within ourselves and then apply it in such a way that it spreads and nourishes us and others.

7. Ldub20

Ldub20 Well-Known Member

This post didn't help and made me want to viciously destroy whatever causes my social ineptitude. Why? Because it deserves to die. Don't know if there is anything within my control that I can point to that causes this crap. Only egotists deserve to be socially inept and lonely! But because life is bullshit (and nothing more), that'll never happen, will it?

8. Butterfly

Well just look at your attitude in this post. It is so aggressive and bitter. You use vicious words like "die", "suffer", "destroy" when speaking about other people and think that people that have what you don't possess deserve to suffer! In the end, YOU control your own actions and if this is how you come across to people then some work needs to be done with a therapist to change your attitudes towards life and people in general. I know your illness doesn't help matters and it must be difficult, but there are plenty of other people with the same illness who have worked on their issues and have a successful life, so why can't you have the same? Until you accept you have a problem and act on it and work on your issues, you will continue to go round in this vicious circle. Posts like this make you sound bitter and sometimes it makes you sound like one of those people you describe.

9. Calvin_xc1

Calvin_xc1 Member

I read a post online that helped clarify things for me a little. The key thesis is that the cosmos isn't designed for fairness, it's designed for effectiveness. The evidence is in how all things, life especially, migrate towards replicating the most effective method/routine/action, and minimizing the least effective. Natural selection is the most evident of these processes.

I come from a highly analytical and academic background, so this perspective was appealing to me.

So then where does that leave things like justice and fairness? Well, partially that depends on belief. I spent some time studying Judasim, along with some of the other Judeo-Christian religions, and found some insight in how God, as judicator of fairness, was stayed by Man in his compassion. In my perspective, this dynamic rests within each of us. The cosmos is about efficiency, I have no doubt of this. We as humans have the capacity to see injustice and inequity and correct it (Ironically, this is one of the central themes of political science and policy studies, efficiency vs. equity). Compassion we also possess, and can manifest it in our world too.

Getting back to your point about, basically, the wicked should be the only ones to suffer. I'd like to offer an alternative perspective: Those who do right, who act with justice and compassion, deserve the most of kindness and support we can offer them. Since it's in our power to be just, and to be compassionate, then doesn't it make sense to reward those who are with our own justice and compassion? The 'punishment' for those who aren't just or compassionate is in not having the support of those who are.

The real world may not work out quite this way, again, because the cosmos is concerned with efficiency, not justice or compassion, but we as humans have a chance to make our lives about these things, and to impact those around us with those values. It seems a good way to move forward to me.

I can say that when I help someone I know to be a good person, I feel better about myself and my world.

Just some food for thought.

10. Ldub20

Ldub20 Well-Known Member

I wonder if the people you mention who've got my disease are having good or decent social lives. If not, I wouldn't call their lives successful.

11. Butterfly

Yes, these people do have good social lives and no doubt it was difficult to obtain them but that's what they have achieved.

12. jxdama

jxdama Staff Member Safety & Support

everyone loves you here dubby

13. lycoris

lycoris Well-Known Member

Yep, i know someone. He's really come far in his life, he had no real support system and he still supported me when i was at my lowest. And by the way, he only found out he had it a year ago. He now has a little boy and whilst he's financially in a bad place, he's still going and he took a lot of crap believe me. From everyone around him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.