If you need a distraction...

Status
Not open for further replies.

morfea

Antiquities Friend
I'm with the same problem, I don't have asthma, but allergy, and cigarettes are not very good for me either, but they are my best friend in new situations and among new people especially. We have a law now that forbids smoking in closed areas, coffe shops and bars as well, but we're lucky to live in such nice climate that we can sit in the outside terraces through the whole winter. Have you ever tried quitting cigarettes?

Hi Ana! Hey Josh!

Quitting smoking is sooo difficult, but there are lots of bits and bobs to help with it nowadays. I'm not sure how good they are though. I even heard about an electronic cigarette. How does THAT work??

Quitting alcohol has been HELL for me. Pure hell and I still haven't managed to 100% quit. Every now and again I fall off the wagon and not just like a regular fall (a couple of quiet drinks), last time I fell off the wagon I got so drunk I couldn't find my way home. I was a mess. I'm surprised I didn't end up in a cell for the night.

:hug: Thanks. :) I'm getting there with it, I mean I don't wanna end up like my alcoholic father. And it only really happens when I'm at the end of my tether and having a bad time of it. Otherwise I stay at home and watch the X Factor - smarter move than going out to meet people for a drink, because I know I can never have one. Seems to be 12 or nothing with me.

No I don't have a sponsor, I haven't been gutsy enough to go to AA yet.

Yeah, my brother is 29 and has never even been drunk, that's how much seeing our father drunk has affected him.
I only wish I'd followed suit. Now that I've already started it's been so hard to stop because I need that release. There was a time when I started taking drugs, but I stopped before it got out of hand because I knew that was an even worse road to be going down.

morfea

Antiquities Friend
I hope you do go to AA, although I didn't have that problem, two of my friends did, and they both had so much benefit from AA. And one of them put it off for years, 'coz of shame and fear, he's been ok now for almost 10 years, the other one too. I hope you do it one way or the other.

Aw thanks hun.

I think you're right also Ana, I keep wanting to go but everytime it comes down to it I chicken out and think "I can get this under control myself", strange thing is I know that's what they teach in AA - there's no shame in admitting you need help and it's when times get rough you'll need them the most. Which is the time I usually fall off the wagon.
I'll try and google a local meeting.

morfea

Antiquities Friend
I'm glad you think that way, whatever you choose don't be hard on yourself. Here's a big :hug: to you. When you do it, be proud and reward yourself!

morfea

Antiquities Friend
Aw thanks hun.

I think you're right also Ana, I keep wanting to go but everytime it comes down to it I chicken out and think "I can get this under control myself", strange thing is I know that's what they teach in AA - there's no shame in admitting you need help and it's when times get rough you'll need them the most. Which is the time I usually fall off the wagon.
I'll try and google a local meeting.
I think this is most important, for any kind of addiction, mental problem, condition, whatever, when you understand that and accept it, it will be easier for you to join them. I'll keep my fingers crossed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00