I'm having my 1st counselling session tomorrow, advice/experiences pls, im nervous?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Blackness, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackness

Blackness Guest

Now I know all of the people on this forum have told people before and are getting help but I havent..

I dont know what to say to her. It was hard enough talking to someone on a helpline, let alone face to face :unsure:

What do I say?
    "hi, im.... and i think i have depression, i am suicidal, oh and I cut my wrist, wanna see?" hah:sad::rolleyes:

I find it so hard to find the words!!!:dry:

Should I tell her everything or what?:huh:

Do they ask questions about your life?

Please any replies are welcomed, I need it. :smile:

2. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Re: I'm having my 1st counselling session tomorrow, advice/experiences pls, im nervou

Be as honest as possible. Otherwise, you are only paying money to make yourself FEEL like you are doing something good for yourself. I think that honesty is the key to effective therapy.

3. Blackness

Blackness Guest

Re: I'm having my 1st counselling session tomorrow, advice/experiences pls, im nervou

it's free, hah. This is the only time in my life where ive had this opportunity. free is good, no one knows...

4. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Since it's free, take advantage of it an spill your guts! It is uncomfortable at first, but it is SO liberating! Just say the most shocking thing that comes to mind and the rest is gravy!!! It works :)

5. Will

Will Staff Alumni

I envy you. :(

I hope all goes wall Blackness. Let us know how it goes. It must be strange opening up feelings through something other than a keyboard.

6. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

Relax, they are trained to ask you questions that make you feel more at ease. You might find they won't ask about everthing straight away but just have a normal chat with you about what you do or have done in the past. My therapist is great, I thought it was going to be demanding and scary but she made me feel really calm. Maybe not everyones therapist does that but i've seen a few in action so i'm guessing you will get a normal one. Good luck!

7. Feared.Desire

Feared.Desire Well-Known Member

I hope all goes well :) Just relax, they are there to help you. Don't be worried about what you tell them, you can trust them. Open up to them ...

And, uh...how did you get them to talk to you free and without anyone knowing? Im kind of wondering if I could do something similar for myself..

8. Blackness

Blackness Guest

It's a free service through my uni. I think we only get a certain amount of sessions though, but yeh....

Well I had it today. It went terrible, the whole time I was holding back tears :cry:

I just wanted to let it all out and say "I want to die!!!!!" :mad:

But no instead I just said I have no friends:rolleyes:. God I wish I could find the right words to just tell her how I really feel. She's reckons I have an anxiety disorder, well I can tell you now, I have ALOT more than that!

She recommend me try to make friends and go back in 2 weeks. I'm not going to try. :( god no one can help, it's just a vicious cycle :(

9. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

Talk to her as if you are talking to someone else. Don't look at her and just say what it is you feel as if to your own head, that's how I got some of my deepest things out. I'm going tomoro to tell her i'm feeling utterly crap again. And we were doing so well. Such is the game of life :(

10. LiverpoolFTW

LiverpoolFTW Guest

Why can't you make friends? You seem friendly on here.

Perhaps you should have cried...but it was wise not to mention suicide that can get you sectioned. I've often wondered what a stay in a mental hospital would be like, perhaps i'd love it, but probly not! :)

11. Blackness

Blackness Guest

Because the people where i go to uni, are all in their little friend groups..no room for me, they are rude and only think about getting drunk.
    I'm not from here and i just dont like city people much.

Or they hate me? I never thought i was ugly though :( i dunno.

And i dont think we have mental institutes here much anymore, i think id be safe to say im suicidal...its just finding the words to say thats the hardest part..

12. LiverpoolFTW

LiverpoolFTW Guest

This could be Paranoia, i get a lot of that. I can see it in others but not in myself ,or do anything about it myself. I have the additional problem in that i'm dreamy and crappy at connecting with people. So i get a double whammy.

I have told shrinks and therapists that i feel suicidal, the criterion they use to have you sectioned is if you are 'actively' suicidal. So if i'd said i'm gonna kill myself next Saturday and i've bought the rope i would get sectioned. Of course i didn't say anything like that. Perhaps i ought to get sectioned, it might be a holiday for me, can't be any more boring than my life anyway...;)

13. expressive_child

expressive_child Well-Known Member

Sorry that it didn't work out fine. I guess I understand. Used to go for counseling too back in high school but no good at all. She didn't believe me on some things and avoid giving me more sessions after that. Cheer up! I hope you can find relief elsewhere. But I know its still not easy. I am here for you! :hug:

14. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

Blackness, you should give counseling one more shot but this time write your feelings and stuff down on paper and give it to them at the beginning of the session. That's what I did w/ my Dr.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.