I'm just so confused

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by TR93, Mar 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TR93

TR93 Member

I've been told that when you're in your 20s, life becomes harder to deal with. I've also been told that when you're in your 20s, you have the most fun. So far, I've only dealt with the first half. I just turned 20 in December. I have no idea what i want to do with my life and everyone i know is on my ass. I just wish I knew what direction to go. As of now, i feel really lonely, lost, and confused. *sighs*

2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

It can certainly be a confusing time. I have one big recommendation - stop trying to figure out what to do with your life (even though that is the phrase I am sure you are hearing - that it is time for you to do something with your life) and instead figure what you want to do with your 20's or even what you want to do with the next year. Basically, until 18 or 19 most people have very little control over many aspects of your life- and now that often extends a year or 2 longer even - so with so little practice at being an adult it is really hard to decide how you want your adult life for the next 60 years to go.

Instead of looking at them as life long decisions (they are not most people work in several different career fields and multiple places in their life- the days of finishing school and working until retirement in the same company are long gone) look at deciding what you want ot do based on what meets the two needs of supporting yourself and giving you some satisfaction in life for the next few years. That can be work, further education, service- many different options- but just try to get a sense of what you like doing that will support you enough so you are not miserable from lack of physical needs being met. While it is old enough to start trying to figure out the difference between goals, dreams, and pure fantasy - it is not a case of deciding your entire future in the next year or two. You said you have only dealt with the first half (harder to deal with) so far - are your 20's more than half over yet? If not you are right on schedule ;)

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

AS said hun most young adults your age are going through the same thing It is hard to know what direction to go in but just find something that brings you joy that you are interested in and try it NO saying that you have to stay at it hell you won't know what to do with you until you try several directions and then it will come together Try not to listen to the pressure ok just find something that perks your interest and try it hugs

4. fam6236

fam6236 Member

It is better being at the age you are at and figuring it all out then being 40 years old and having to decide. Try to find something you like is the most important thing. Do not procrastinate.

5. scaryforest

scaryforest Banned Member

errone likes telling errone how things supposedly are
    life is what you make it, not what they tell you
    advice just above sums it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.