I'm sad that I'm tall

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by MHD, Sep 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MHD

MHD Member

If i explain in short way. There are tall people and there are old people, but I've never seen old tall people, so this means I'll die much faster than others. I saw many articles on internet that is proven that short people live longer than tall one. I guess I need to accept that I will die in few years :/

2. HereToHelp

HereToHelp Member

Less than 30 years ago people where shorter and lived a lot less, now we are all taller and will live a lot longer.
    Don't be sad, if you need help please tell us your story we want to help you :)

3. spacecowboy

spacecowboy Well-Known Member

My grandfather made it into his early 90's and he stood 6'4". If it goes by height, I'll live forever, I'm 5'7". [​IMG]

4. MHD

MHD Member

Story? I should mention that I'm 15 years old, I'm from Slovenia (europe) so my english isn't perfetc. All my life i've been tall, when i was born i was bigger than other babies. My arms were always weak and I have sunken chest (a little bit not very deep). I also had some problems with my back. I'm also skinny. I never had many friends and I don't have any friends right now either. This year I moved to high school, some schoolmates are tall as well, but they are more attractive than me. I don't have any problems being tall, except mentally when I walk in the street some people look at me, mostly little kids and some ask me How come that I'm so tall or 'Why are you so tall', well i can't change that.. Anyways I don't think there is anything else important to tell, as I said I feel ok with my body, I started going to gym, I could say I'm a good person, but I don't look good from outside. I will have surgery "soon" they will cut out 2 small lumps/bumps, doctors said they are not dangerous but needs to be removed, but in Slovenia you can wait more than one year to get surgery i should get it months ago already.
    Some other facts about me:
    -I'm about 187cm tall
    -I have no siblings, friends, girlfriend... (loneliness problem :/ )
    -I don't eat much fruits and vegetables, I like desserts
    -I'm not good at sports (except chess, if you count it as sport)
    -I'm not religious
    -I'm interested in computer science
    -I rarely speak, even with family members, I'm quiet person

5. spacecowboy

15, Gads! For me that was 40 years ago. LOL
    I was never good at sports, don't even like sports.
    Never been religious.
    While I do talk to family, I'm pretty shy around strangers until I get to know them.
    I was diagnosed about a year ago with diabetes, so the days of endless desserts are long gone.
    You're only 15. Your body is still growing, as is your mind.

6. BarryW

BarryW Well-Known Member

You have to be careful with what you read on the internet. Even if the articles about life expentancy based on height had some truth in them, what was true 5 years ago or whenever their data was gathered may not be true tomorrow. Humans as a species are changing as is our environment (ozone layer etc), meaning that the scientific definition of 'best' human body is constantly in flux. I am 180cm tall and have wished sometimes that I were shorter. But when I play tennis my height allows me to jump high and reach the ball that other players can't. It helps build my self esteem especially when others look surprised or impressed that I could make the shot. I know you said you are not good at sports -- at your age I definitely would have said the same thing. But after several years of practice I became more confident in my abilities. If you find a sport you like and practice a lot I 'm sure you can become good at it. Being tall could help you be a hero at basketball, volleyball, or plenty of others. I worked in computer science for about 15 years before quitting my last job so I can talk to you about that interest of yours if you like.

Flying Fox and Inanimate like this.
  7. spacecowboy

I am roughly 170cm. I'm not short, I'm vertically challenged.

8. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Hi MHD:

The only thing I can say is let time take its course. Some people grow earlier vs their peers. Many times I am amazed on how fast my family or kids ive known since they were tiny versions of their parents just seem to shoot up in a season.

If you are not feeling good about your body what about working out? Going to the gym and seeing much more similar heighted people might put you in ease. People shoot height first then bulk up. Give your muscles time to gain more mass as its really called "growing pains"

Take Care!

9. MHD

MHD Member

I'm already in gym for like 2 months, but i go there 1-3 times a week, i don't have much time because of school. Many people there are shorter and older.

10. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Personally know of somone who is 6'4 and another 6'3 I see them daily so I'm too used to it

They get asked if they play basketball often but that's on the short side for the NBA. 187cm is what? 6'1 nearly common where I am at.