Inability to cry at all? Is it because of depression?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Stephanieangrybirds, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am unable to cry at all. I feel the urge, but nothing coming out at all. Is it because of depression or something else?
    :( Am i the only here who is going through the samething?

2. Theodora

Theodora Well-Known Member

I am sure that other people on this site will be the same. For many years I never cried at first because my parents ignored or shouted at me when I did so I tried not to. The beauty of this site is that whilst we're all at different places emotionally we've been to many others at different times. We can all feel "that's me" to other members who in other ways we have little in common with. A huge cuddle from me.

3. Glad i am not the only one.

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Yes hun i was not able to cry until i go therapy and therapist was able to tap into that pain and gave me safe place to let emotions out. If you are on medication sometimes if dose is too high then your emotions can be hindered

5. I am not on any medication nor therapy at all :( I have tears in my eyes, just not crying at all.

6. scarlettdrknss

scarlettdrknss Well-Known Member

I have had that for a while too. I was desperate to cry so I could let the feelings out. My eyes just burned but there were no tears, just a pain in my chest. After that them came a period where I would cry myself to sleep every single night. That period was after I had really attempted suicide though. It just came to me. I don't know why...

7. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I am unable to cry also. And alot of the time my eyes burn, and tears well up, but nothing comes. I was taught from very young, that it's not a manly thing. So, eventually it was so ingrained in me, that I never cry. I didn't cry when I heard one of my son's had died. I am just so lopsided, that I can turn emotion on and off. Which is not good at all.

8. silent_chaos

silent_chaos Well-Known Member

i havnt been able to cry, i finaly did a couple days ago, i have detached feelings. i get that urge or feel like i should be crying in a situation.

9. RumoursOfMyDemise

RumoursOfMyDemise Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear you're going through this right now. No, you're definitely not the only one. I'm also completely unable to cry when my depression is at its worst, despite feeling like I need to all the time. It's the emotion numbing/ blocking effect that depression has.

10. Noonetwothree

Noonetwothree New Member

I held all my pain in for years and when I felt I had to cry it took days of me actively trying to cry in order for it to happen.. I guess because I had been so used to holding it in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.