Insomnia because I'm afraid to throw up.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Mama_Pills, Jan 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mama_Pills

Mama_Pills Well-Known Member

Maybe someone can help me out.

Often, when I close my eyes at night, I feel as though my throat is closing, or like I'm going to gag or throw up, and I lose lots of sleep because of it. Or, as soon as I'm about to fall asleep, I get that same feeling in my throat. Like instead of a falling dream to wake me up it's like I'm about to throw up so I'm jolted awake. I am an emetophobic, so even the idea of throwing up to me is like being inside a suitcase to a claustrophobic person.

The most frustrating part of all this is that I never actually get sick.

I've also been struggling with feeling like I'm going to throw up in the car, which has been happening to me for about 12 years, but just recently it started getting unbearable, and it throws me into a panic, which just makes the feeling worse. Again, I've never actually thrown up.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about or has experienced this before, is there a way to get over it? I try telling myself that nothing bad is going to happen but it doesn't seem to help. I have taken Xanax during these situations before and it helps a lot, so obviously it's just anxiety. However, I don't want to rely on Xanax every time, because it can happen as often as three times a day, and I have a tendency to like things that relax me a little too much.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Have you tried just listening to quiet music while you drive or while you are drifting off to sleep that can decrease your anxiety thus decreasing the nausea
    I would get also a doctor to check your inner ear for any abnormalities just to rule out a medical problem

3. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

To be honest I don't think the answer lies with Xanax. Although it can help relieve the anxiety, you are not getting to the root cause of the problem. Therapy tailored towards dealing with anxiety, and the reasons why you get anxious over the thought of being sick will help. I also find using distraction helps me from feeling less anxious.

4. Mama_Pills

Mama_Pills Well-Known Member

Yeah, sometimes if it happens during the day I will wash dishes or do laundry or organize. It's just frustrating because at night I've already done all the dishes and all the laundry. But at night it's harder to get rid of. Often I'm up until 3 or 4 in the morning sitting next to the toilet, even though I know I'll never actually throw up. My skin is so dry all the time because I wash my face so much to try and calm myself down. There's always a thought in the back of my head, "What if I throw up this time? I know I never have before, but what if this time I really am sick? What did I eat today? Did I have anything weird?" Even though I have limited myself to eating the same exact thing most days because I'm afraid of what other things will do to my stomach.

I've talked about it in therapy before but we never really came to a solid conclusion about what the problem is, and there are more pressing things I want to address in therapy. I just wasn't sure if anyone else had experienced this.

5. Milkyway

Milkyway Well-Known Member

I wrote name of a herb but edited because not sure if I can suggest that. Cannot find the delete button.

6. smwhorses

smwhorses Well-Known Member

Have you had your sinuses checked for an infection? Your ears and sinuses are connected, an infection can bother both. It may be that you have problems that are made worst when you lie down or are in a moving vehicle. Your sinuses draining can cause you to feel like you are going to throw up.
    Have you tried sleeping in a recliner or with a lot of pillows?

If I just lay down and try to go to sleep everything that is wrong starts going through my head and I cannot sleep. I take my phone to bed and play some easy game on it and often fall asleep that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.