Invasive medical procedure

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Petal, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I was told by my consultant urologist that I need a bladder examination (cystoscopy ), when I found out the price I nearly died!! 1600 euros and there is no guarantee that something will show up. Although I believe something will show up as he gave me a 2 week course of the anti biotic macrodantin and it is helping already. Drinking barley water and cystopurin for chronic cystitis.

The other day I cried, cried and cried 'cos I can't afford the procedure, when mom saw the state I was in she rang her accountant, the accountant told her to pay upwards of 4,000 for any other procedures I may need too.

The appointment for the procedure is the 28th of this month (It would be next January if I were a public patient-I know it's a disgrace.) I am so lucky to have my mom there for me.

I spoke to a member the other day about my fears about the cystoscopy but she calmed me but I am still finding myself worried that PTSD thoughts/memories will come back. It's to do with female private parts. I am scared as hell. But of course I will go! I know I am being silly but would appreciate some advice/tips? :)

Anyone have any suggestions on how to calm my fears?

And thanks to butterfly for calming me mostly about it :)

2. stapleremover

stapleremover Chat Buddy

You're not being silly, Lynn, you feel what you feel and you shouldn't be hard on yourself about it. I know that if it were me, I'd likely feel somewhat better just by writing this post...getting it out in the open and allowing your friends to help share the burden is always an important step.

Hang in there, girl...we're here for you.

Hugs,

Stephanie

3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Just keep telling yourself "I need this" and keep in mind the horror of cystitis.
    As you know, I'm a fellow sufferer and nothing is worse than a chronic condition.
    Hopefully they will find something and it's an easy fix.

4. Petal

Thank you both so much for the supprt. I know I will get through it :) Just nervous about it. As hard as it may be I will just keep telling myself that everything will be okay :) I hope they will find something.

This is totally seperate from my stomach condition which explains why I've been in such pain for so long.

5. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

:hug: Lynn - I really hope that this doctor can help you to find some relief to the pain. I have only had cystitis once and it was horrid so I have huge sympathy for anyone experiencing it as a chronic condition - it must be awful. You have done harder things and you can absolutely do this - it is natural to be nervous but just keep your eyes on the prize so to speak; feeling well again! :hug:

6. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Hi Lynn,

I know we have already spoken about this and I am glad that you are going to go ahead with the procedure because it will hopefully give you some answers. I suffer with chronic thrush and was on long term antibiotics, pessarys and creams and had to have more vaginal swabs than I care to remember. I still suffer with it every now and again but it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be. Because of this I am prone to UTI's and I can say how truly horrible they are. You just have to remember that they are doing this to try and find out what's wrong so they can treat it and hopefully make you feel better. Big hugs hun :hug:

7. Petal

@Freya- Thanks you for your input.Yes cystitis is very painful and uncomfortable, it stings, I constantly have to drink barley water( doctor said that helps) and cystopurin. Thanks for the encouragement, I cannot wait to have it over and done with, if nothing shows up then another procedure will follow.

@Lexi- Sorry to hear you suffer with thrush, very uncomfortable. I too get a lot of UTI'S. I had more than 10 last year alone, I just hope they can find the problem, I dread going for a pee 'cos it hurts so much afterwards. Thaks for the support hun :)

8. smwhorses

smwhorses Well-Known Member

:pinkheart:
    Sending good thoughts your way.

9. Petal

Thank you hun. I appreciate it :)

10. catecholamine

catecholamine Well-Known Member

I had one a few months back because I had blood in my urine and my right kidney wasn't working well so they wanted to see if something was blocking its output to the bladder. They put me to sleep for it, of course. It's no big deal. I needed antibiotics afterwards because I had a mild kidney infection. Let us know how it goes!

11. Petal

The hospital has been in touch with me this morning and they are giving me a general anesthetic, I said i'm written up for a local but she said its definitely a general anesthetic, so I am happy about that and feel so much more relaxed, even looking forward to it as opposed to dreading it now. The procedure is on wednesday, wish me luck :) and even more luck that something will come back as I need to find whats wrong. Thanks for all the support.

12. smwhorses

smwhorses Well-Known Member

So glad! locals do not work for me, I would have been in terror.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.