is comfort eating an eating disorder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
comfort eating is a coping skill that is what you do to make you feel better.
Talking to someone about what it is you are trying to cover up with food will help you more in the end You can get new ways to deal with whatever it is
that is hurting you inside hugs

Caster

It depends on to what extent you are comfort eating. Hence, how it affects your weight. Some people comfort eat and aren't all that overweight if so at all. Others tend to develop weight problems from it. Either way, I don't think it's an actual "disorder".

Like total eclipse said, it's more of a coping mechanism such as drinking or smoking. It's different for everyone I guess...I tend to choose alcohol versus food when I'm upset. Hope this helps.

ZombiePringle

Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend
As was already said its your way to cope. Me... I play videogames or watch stuff. If it hasn't become an overeating issue then you should be okay.

Datura

This is by no means a coping skill. There is nothing 'skillful' about turning to food as a source of comfort.

Caster said:
It depends on to what extent you are comfort eating. Hence, how it affects your weight. Some people comfort eat and aren't all that overweight if so at all. Others tend to develop weight problems from it. Either way, I don't think it's an actual "disorder".
The "extent" doesn't matter, because even if it's 'mild,' there is psychologically something wrong, and it could easily spiral out of control. Better to address a 'mild' problem before it can do more damage.

roscho

Perhaps a form of self medication. I have done it, but have also used numerous other distractions. I wonder what drives what we use.

Medusa.

There is a disorder called binge eating disorder and complusive over eating disorder. I think it depends on how it's affecting you on whether you need help or not, from this post I can't tell if it's bad or not.
I also wanna say aren't all eating disorders coping mechanisms I mean I know mine is.

A disorder, and its severity, is defined by how much it interferes in one's life and whether it promotes behaviors that are not in our best interest...if you are concerned, then it is a problem for you, and speaking to someone might help...J

blondeellen

hey thanks for all your responces. last summer at my heaviest i was 14 stone and i have dieted all year but when bad things happen or im in a bad mood i feel like i need food and i revert back

Yes it might be the problem and usually it happens with many people and i believe it and thanks for telling new things about eating disorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00