• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Is it possible to treat your own emotional pain and depression?

puffymilk

making the bed
SF Supporter
#1
Because sometimes therapy can be extremely pricey and we cannot always make it the #1 priority. Like me, I have never been to an in-person therapist because I cannot afford to make it a routine (like going to therapy every week or every month, or even when I need it immediately). So what I do is I share my experiences in a forum like this (thank you) or there's this health care application in my country that has their own psychologists and psychiatrists. I have tried it a few times (cost money, but it's pretty affordable) and honestly it didn't really help me, also I cannot keep spending money on them. Not kissing ass but... SF is more helpful than that, and it's free! :D I'm just thinking that would it be more helpful for me to go to an actual therapist and make it a routine?
 

1Lefty

SF Supporter
#2
I see a psychologist (therapist) monthly.
I think it's helpful for me, as I have a hard time seeing my problems/feelings/thoughts objectively
Being a solitary person, I generally don't have others around to listen to thoughts, etc
I haven't been able to completely treat myself, though it has gotten better
Having a diagnosis (somewhat) and medication from a psychiatrist has helped also
Wishing the best for you

peace
:)
 

Aurelia

πŸ”₯ A Fire Inside πŸ”₯
SF Supporter
#3
Not necessarily. There are no guarantees. I know that some people have found therapy beneficial and others haven't, it's as simple as that. For me, it hasn't worked. The only things that have helped me are prayer, reading the Bible, real life experiences, and time (it does heal some things, I've found). I admit, however, I've found psychiatric medication to be beneficial for my voices/hallucinations and clonazepam for anxiety. Antidepressants and mood stabilizers haven't helped solve my problems, however. I've found that they provide some more motivation to do things, but they don't prevent feelings of sadness and loneliness. At least, in my experience. It's not ideal to spend money on something that you don't know whether it's going to work or not. I agree with that much. Still, if you feel like it's something you want to try and you have the extra money to spend on it, you can try it. But people's results have always varied.

With that said, there are numerous ways you can engage yourself in your own recovery. There are multiple self-help tools out there aside from this forum.
 

MisterBGone

~\_βœ…`,')
SF Supporter
#4
H'mm... Might you be able to try one out (an in-person one that is) just if even on a temporary, or "trial," sort of way?
I "think," it can make a big difference for both parties, given all of the cues that are 'lost in the mix,' so to speak w/online.
However, that said; it can also be quite beneficial too. One of my best friends who has multiple graduate degrees, and so maybe
this speaks more to her level of perfectionism, I don't know (how rare it is); but she went through something like 10 therapists,
before finally settling on one she was comfortable with. She saw them weekly throughout graduate school. And said she would not
have made it w/o them: because, or as "Therapy was a place for me (her) to go & express all of my thoughts & troubles, and to not
have to be judged (as she would no doubt be - by anybody else whom she'd shared such thoughts w/in her life; of which, I doubt there
were many. . .) / So while that may be one extreme, and isolated case. I have heard many others say that it took them a few tries, or people
as in therapists, to "get-it-right." It's all about finding the right pairing, or match; & to see if you have that 'chemistry,' which can admittedly,
be a little elusive to find. So what I might try to seek, were I ever in a position to attain one again, is to find one in which I did not share the
opposite, or bad kind of chemistry with. If that makes sense? Here's where they can help you out, provided that they are good, and you are
willing to give them a fair shot or shake, and so on. They can help to assess your situation, and to address your problems not only from an
outsider's perspective (which is very important, and very good) but they can also help you to develop ways in which may counter some of your
faults, or flaws, in either your behavior patterns, or just in your thinking process, and thoughts themselves. They have skills and training to help
facilitate & achieve this. The best ones will do so with a surgical degree. The experienced ones will look at you like a walk in the park, and I mean
that in a good way. The way your heart surgeon will look you in the eye and remove all doubts before going under the knife, because they are
so abundantly, almost "over-confidant," in a way - in their skills & that they're not going to lose you or have an unsuccessful procedure. No, not
on their watch. Which is what you want. Someone who can listen to you. Offer feedback. Ask the right questions, prompting further investigation
on both ends. All of this is minimized, or more difficult to do, in my opinion, when put through the filter of an online communication. Where the
two of you are not in the same room together, breathing the same air that is circulation around, and et cetera/et cetera. But that is just one person's
POV. Now, another thing that I seem to have now forgotten from just a moment before. It was on the psychologist (not psychiatrist). Shat, I can't
remember. If I do, I'll chime back in. They're there to help translate your problems and your issues through you. To give you the tools necessary to
achieve breaking through the walls, or over the sometimes many hurdles & obstacles that sometimes our life has presented us, or others that have
been put or placed there at our own doing. Either way it is a shared relationship that is based upon mutual respect. It is one that grows. Maybe you've
got this great hairstylist. And you go to see her every month, or whatever it is. And as much as you're looking forward to the new do. It is as much about
updating her on your new happenings & whatnot in your life, and to see & engage with her--again, maintain and nurture (just sort of automatically here, if you like her), that relationship--so that it can foster only promising things in the future and going ahead will therefore be hopefully, a bit more prosperous
than it is now. Which is why you're seeking help in therapy in the first place. It is just like physical therapy. In that, it should hurt. If you get in there and deal
with any significant sort of dilemmas or traumas - such as that or those which you may have faced which then led to you being in here. If those topics come up, and you know, things can get pretty heavy then - if you trust them. And think that they are doing a good job. So afterwards, it should only stand to reason that, you will most likely feel like crap for a little while afterwards. Hopefully, eventually over time this will even out & lessen. And then you can begin to feel the benefits of having some of this weight relieved or from having it been lifted if it has been indeed burdening your soul. Or something to such effect~ / The good ones will do this. At times, so too, will the bad ones (because they don't know what they're doing, how to control you, or the situation from getting/or going out of control, or over-board/as in knowing when to say when, or when it is about to go over the cliff & therefore become dangerous...) so the good ones will know how to navigate this landscape fairly well. And to hopefully, therefore, then: to be able to keep you safe. I'd recommend stating and being up front, in so far as you can, and you are capable, what kinds of concerns you have in advance of a session. Sort of like giving them some guidelines or boundaries on where you are and how things stand in terms of what you're comfortable with sharing and discussing and how you can handle certain stressful areas or what ever the case may be. Hopefully, I haven't rambled on for so long, that I have talked you ear off. Maybe come back & read this in small, or smaller 'chunks?' Or no, don't even bother reading it at all! that would be just fine for me, and whatever helps you best, is what's most important to me. If it does not work for you, then that is ok too. Some people, it clicks with, others it does not. But you just don't know until you've tried. And put a heartfelt/or genuine honest effort into it. If you go in there & say, I bet this won't work. Well, as they say, "Whether you think I can - or I can't... either way, you're probably right!" ;D
 
#5
I have tried it a few times (cost money, but it's pretty affordable) and honestly it didn't really help me, also I cannot keep spending money on them
Therapy doesn't always work well for everyone. If you have something you feel the need to express to a therapist, or there's something that you're going to learn from the therapist that's going to change your life, then it could certainly help. If your life is unstructured and you're isolated, just getting out of your home and having some social contact could be valuable too. Whether therapy or doesn't work, it still costs money. If you haven't gotten good results, there are some other approaches to try.

You might find something helpful in these two links:

Chinese Herbal Medicine and Acupuncture, World's Second Largest Medical System

Self-Treatment and Miscellaneous

Alternative treatment methods still cost money, but often times are cheaper than conventional treatment methods.

CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) may be one of the best approaches to countering negative self-talk. This book is one of the most highly recommended CBT books for depression:

Mind Over Mood, Second Edition: Change How You Feel by Changing the Way You Think
Dennis Greenberger, Christine A. Padesky

If negative self-talk isn't a factor in how you feel, then CBT would probably not be as effective.
 

Survivorist

Black sheep of my family....
#7
Yes, it is possible. Because sometimes you have no other choice. Depression, self harm, multiple substance disorder - how the heck do you want to treat this in Afghanistan or Chad? I had no other choice than to do it myself - and with the help of a very close person (now -> my partner). You come to the point to decide - of course you can always go back for treatment (what I did two or three times during vacation), but ended up in institutions I had nothing to do with the other patients. They just sit around, smoke and talk about what they do when they get out - repeat what they had done before. Not a real help, I met once in the hospital the only person I could relate to - a doctor, working in Afghanistan (we even had common buddies).

So I had to learn in the greatest need, to cry, fight, spend sleepless nights - while reducing everything. I made withdrawals most of the time myself.

Now, after all this time I can say, that it depends a lot on the country you are living in and the stress level.

I got rid now of nearly everything by myself - do not smoke, do not drink (the worst of all), do sports, do not eat (regular fasting I do every year for 90 days), I walk a lot. It is good, that I am alone - so nobody bothers me. The last thing is reducing the diazepam. I did this so often now - am not afraid. I have time. I feel ok - and again, I did it myself. I just have a doctor who prescribes me what I say or wish for. That's all.

The biggest help and power of it all is: religious belief. It moves mountains, this I know.
 

puffymilk

making the bed
SF Supporter
#8
Yes, it is possible. Because sometimes you have no other choice. Depression, self harm, multiple substance disorder - how the heck do you want to treat this in Afghanistan or Chad? I had no other choice than to do it myself - and with the help of a very close person (now -> my partner). You come to the point to decide - of course you can always go back for treatment (what I did two or three times during vacation), but ended up in institutions I had nothing to do with the other patients. They just sit around, smoke and talk about what they do when they get out - repeat what they had done before. Not a real help, I met once in the hospital the only person I could relate to - a doctor, working in Afghanistan (we even had common buddies).

So I had to learn in the greatest need, to cry, fight, spend sleepless nights - while reducing everything. I made withdrawals most of the time myself.

Now, after all this time I can say, that it depends a lot on the country you are living in and the stress level.

I got rid now of nearly everything by myself - do not smoke, do not drink (the worst of all), do sports, do not eat (regular fasting I do every year for 90 days), I walk a lot. It is good, that I am alone - so nobody bothers me. The last thing is reducing the diazepam. I did this so often now - am not afraid. I have time. I feel ok - and again, I did it myself. I just have a doctor who prescribes me what I say or wish for. That's all.

The biggest help and power of it all is: religious belief. It moves mountains, this I know.
I like this. I think what you did is something that makes the most sense to me, the most realistic that I could do. Maybe I just need to take my time to get it all together. Thank you.
 

Lekatt

Love Cats Love All
SF Supporter
#9
I believe anyone can help themselves to recover from depression and emotional problems. There are a number of self-help books available that helped me greatly. Then affirmations can help and reading about Near Death Experiences is good also. A website like http://aleroy.com has affirmations and plenty of NDEs to read and there are many other websites that can help. I think it is easier to help yourself than rely on others. These self-help books and sites are easy available. If one of them doesn't seem right to you just try another until you find one that speaks to you and your problems.
 
#11
I think it depends on how one defines "treat" and also the severity of the illness. Most (if not all) mental illnesses can't be cured, but they can certainly be controlled, and their inimical effects reduced (or in some rare cases, suppressed completely). There are myriad ways a person can help themselves find relief from depression and/or anxiety, for instance. But severe schizophrenia, for example, is something that should be treated by a medical professional. Additional coping skills can certainly be used to augment the doctor's/pharmacist's care, but I wouldn't try to treat something like that without a doctor's guidance.
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top