Is it time to change jobs?

I’ve worked at the same place for the last 6 years. I used to love my job but now it’s getting harder and harder to make myself go to work.

My job Pros: 1 my puppy can come with me. 2 I set my own schedule. 3 flexible hours. 4 my job worked around my unpredictable health. 5 okay money great bonuses 6 work with animals.

My job Cons: 1 strenuous work. 2 long hours 6 days a week. 3 dealing with toxic coworker. 4 emotionally toxic environment. 5 work on all holidays. 6 I feel like I can’t leave

The last several months ive thought about leaving but I just don’t know what else I would do. Maybe it’s because I’ve done this for so long I don’t know. I enjoy working with animals. I don’t always enjoy working with people. I like to be outside. I like painting. I like music. I love my dog and wish he could always go to work with me but I also understand that very few jobs allow dogs to come with. I have chronic Lyme disease which affects me more than I admit. Stress makes my disease flare up and only makes me more sick.

I have a high school diploma no college education. I’ve thought about going to college but I really don’t handle stress well and I still don’t know what I would even like to do and I don’t have that much money.

I just feel stuck and unhappy and I want to change but I also don’t want to change. Sigh

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
Jobs are very hard to come by and if you are in a job that you are good at i would say stay until you do find another position that will have decrease stress level. Can you talk to your boss about getting some holidays off does not seem fair you work all holidays. Going back to school may be easier as most courses can be done on line and not having to go into school much maybe only a few times. Find a course you enjoy and try to do it online that also may take some of stress away from you.

I know where you're coming from feeling unhappy and wanting a job change. I'm right there too, but, I know if I find another job I might be even less happy than where I was before and might regret the decision I've made. Most times I do regret it because of depression clouding my judgement. Be careful with the decisions you make, I think :).

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00