• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Practical Advice Is this normal after a first session?

IRE1992

SF Supporter
#1
I finally went to a therapy session this afternoon.
I found it very difficult to explain my problems and really took a toll on me - I looked down
at the floor for the whole fifty minutes.
Unloading in the session has forced me to go back over all my
current problems and this focus is causing me to feel worse.
Have others experienced this?
 

BarryW

SF Supporter
#2
One of my family members has had similar experiences. They said the first session with a new therapist is always very hard, and they spend most of the time crying.
I've seen SF members post about writing something before going to the session and using it as a guide or just handing it to the therapist, since explaining yourself real-time can be hard as you say.
 

AvidFan

Retired Cat Staff
SF Supporter
#3
Perfectly normal. Like the first time anyone uses the gym or goes running, the first time can be awful and you think that hurt so what's the point. But the 5th or 6th time you start to get into it. Therapy can make you feel worse before you feel better because you're bringing everything up and facing it instead of trying to distract and avoid. I hope you can get into it and find it helps soon.
 

LumberJack

Huggy Bear 🐻 u r warned!
SF Supporter
#5
In my experience, yes it is something I have come to expect.

Usually the first session with a new provider is called an ā€œintakeā€, where they get information about your whole situation including health, family history, social relationships and so on.

I have been through several intakes, and it is always something that leaves me exhausted afterwards. Last intake I had was over at 3:00 pm (15:00), and I felt so stirred up that I couldn’t work. I didn’t settle back to baseline until the next morning.

Therapy is supposed to be uncomfortable at times. Change is uncomfortable for humans, and change is presumably why you’re there; if everything was fine, then you wouldn’t need to be there in the first place. The intake meeting, though, is about the hardest part. Going forward you should be able to stay within emotional tolerance and not feel stretched that far.
 
#7
This is the exact reason why i am looking for someone that isn't a student or short term. i need someone who stays, and i can begin to trust them and not have to keep explaining myself over n over again.

It was always extremely normal for my children as well. It's exhausting!

i am in fear the same issue when i can finally find someone for me. It's possibly in part of the reason why i'm dragging my feet on making calls or even trying to start.
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top