• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

It has been exactly 800 days since my recovery journey. Here are valuable lessons I learned, and hopefully it can give you hope

iloverachel

No longer suicidal after 8 years of depression
#1
link to my recovery thread + some tips from may 19, 2024: https://www.suicideforum.com/commun...share-your-recovery-steps-if-you-want.178676/

Long story short, I suffered with severe depression, anxiety and suicidal thoughts for over 8 years. Prior to my recovery, I was severely overweight, had no confidence, no motivation or drive, severe depression, generalized anxiety disorder, anhedonia (lack of joy in any activities). I had horrible sleeping patterns, ate a bad diet and had a negative outlook on life, and felt hopeless and had nothing to look forward to.

800 days later, I have managed to lose the excess weight and feel happier in my body and more confident. My suicidal thoughts are completely gone, and my depression and anxiety symptoms have reduced significantly. I do still have days where I feel sad or anxious, but it is more easily managed. I have stayed completely sober for 800 days (alcohol on special occasions, probably 5 times in 800 days and eating healthy foods with just one cheat meal a week has made a HUGE impact on my mental and physical well being. I am now motivated to finish off my fitness course hopefully within 40 days (finished certificate 3, almost done certificate 4). so iI can help change people's lives for the better by teaching them how to improve their body and mind through exercise.

Here are some valuable lessons I learned, that I wish I implemented much earlier
- Exercise regularly - "Exercise boosts mental health by triggering a release of dopamine, serotonin, and endorphins, which improve mood, sharpen focus, and reduce anxiety ". I recommend a combination of weight lifting and cardiovascular activity. From my experience, exercise feels miserable and tiring when you start out, especially if you are out of shape. When you become more fit, exercise feels less like a chore and more like an enjoyable hobby.

- Eat healthy foods, cut out junk food - VERY IMPORTANT - "scientific research establishes a clear link between a high intake of junk food and an increased risk of developing depression and anxiety." I used to eat junk food on a daily basis, and my mental health was in the gutter. When I ate better, my mood improved significantly. Eating junk food is also a costly habit, and can also cause fatigue and lethargy. This is hard, but it can be done. I recommend slowly cutting out junk foods rather than going cold turkey.

-Meditate and reach out to loved ones. You are not in this alone. Most people are nice, do not be afraid to strike up a conversation with a stranger and express how you feel. I have met so many awesome people while at the gym with common interests. It fosters a positive atmosphere and sense of belonging.
-Get your daily dose of vitamin D from sunlight. Walks in nature are really calm and peaceful.

-Do not be afraid to fail, and do not beat yourself up over setbacks. If you miss a gym session, or relapse or fail in whatever goal you had in mind, use it as an opportunity to come back stronger and see what you can learn from it.

-Invest wisely. From my experience, improving financial situation reduces stress, allows you to have more peace of mind and also gives you more freedom to pursue hobbies you love. Example, instead of spending money on junk food, alcohol etc., you can learn about stock trading, high yield savings accounts and then when you have an emergency fund safety net, you can maybe use your savings to go on a nice, relaxing holiday to enjoy yourself. Money does not buy happiness,. but it makes life less stressful. Invest for your future.

-Last but not least, find something to be grateful for, even the smallest things. When I was depressed, I always felt like my illness was a curse and I struggled to find anything to be grateful for. Taking things for granted made me feel miserable. Looking back at it, I did not understand just how lucky and blessed I am, to have a roof over my head, friends who care about me and parents who are alive and healthy. I recommend a gratitude journal, or just thing to yourself, "What am I grateful for"? Having clothes, electricity, and food to eat is plenty to be grateful and happy about. I learnt its not about wanting more, but appreciating what you have that brings contentment in life.

That's all for now, I wish you guys the best in your journey to recovery! *hug
1785069226407.png
 

Attachments

iloverachel

No longer suicidal after 8 years of depression
#3
Congratulations. I hope you continue to make good progress in your life.
Thanks. I truly hope you are able to heal and find more peace and joy in your life, because you are an amazing person who deserves love and acceptance. Best of luck my friend, and always keep posting and updating us whether things are good or bad, we are listening and we care *hug
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$15.00
Goal
$255.00
Top