It hurts but what can I do???

Discussion in 'Grief and Bereavement' started by Daphna, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I have been losing family members left and right or so it seems. I lost two grandpa's to illness. One smoked himself to death. The other drank himself to death. My grandma is dying from the same smoking illness that I lost my grandpa to. Ironically her husband was the one that drank.
    I constantly watch the ones I care about kill themselves with food, drugs, and alcohol.
    You know what the worst part is? I was the blackest sheep of the family. I did everything they do for the same reasons. They watched me transform into who I am today. I shared how I am able to be this way. They still don't care. It hurts, but what can I do??
    I just love them and watch them destroy themselves. I can only pray, and be there for them when and if they need me. Thanks for reading.

2. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

The old saying "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink" holds true.
    People have to walk their own path, you can only suggest and offer help; but if they are hell bent on their course there is little to nothing you can do but pray that they will find their way.

3. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

Thank you for your words of comfort. I accept their choices because it is their choice after all. I just wish they could see what those around them see. I wish they could see what I see. I feel like I lost them already and they are still among the living.

4. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

It's always hard to watch someone destroy themselves, but all we can do is be there and love them regardless.
    Meanwhile, look after yourself and try not to let it spoil the time you have with them.

5. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

True.

6. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

sorry you are going through this.

i am praying that you find a way to cope

emily

7. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

Thank you Emily. I cope with hope. I can only hope that through time they will finally see. Blessings...