It's not a fucking chemical imbalance

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Bigman2232, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bigman2232

Bigman2232 Well-Known Member

I've tried 4 different meds and they've done nothing. The only thing they've ever done is cause withdrawal symptoms when I stopped taking the last one.

My depression is not some chemical imbalance. It's completely situation related caused from lonliness, failure, frustration and anger with the world.

The only cure is for me to never interact with the world. Or if I'm dead.

I'm tired of people thinking that some doctor is going to be able to fix me. Maybe if things didn't work completely opposite to logic or reason and that everything I've been taught about respect and being kind to others wasn't BS, then I'd be fine.

I didn't start this way. I was made this way from a nearly constant and gauranteed succession of failures and mocking.

Never good enough.

2. pppqp

pppqp Well-Known Member

hey bigman... :console:
    i know where you are coming from. honestly.

to self diagnose (i know myself better than a pdoc ;) in this aspect ) my depression is not caused by chemical imbalances either. it stems from accumulating sadness, anger... and etc. just like you since my childhood years. i've barely known what happiness is. i'm bitter, sad, very fragile emotionally, angry... you name it.

however, my mood did improve when i was prescribed prozac. actually twice becoz i stopped taking them 3 years ago. the heavy sadness in my chest mysteriously disappeared as well as the anxiety. in my non-medical opinion, these anti depressants don't cure only clinical (or major) depression. they simply create happy chemicals... lol for lack of a better word, also.

what i mean to tell you is it takes time to find the right meds for you. i've been on depression websites often and there are ppl who have depression and are still struggling to find the right meds that work best for them.... sometimes even a combination.

once the effects start kicking in, you'll automatically see the world with a more positive point of view.

but first of all, you gotta be very kind and gentle to yourself. you gotta understand that it's circumstances that made you you today. it's not that you are not good enough.

feel free to talk to me anytime, okay?
    :hug:

3. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say that with meds it takes years to get better. Only this year has been a bit better, and I've been taking meds for 6 years. before that it felt like nothing helped. And to be honest, I wanted to die or be isolated as much as possible. Being depressed is so hard...I still get depressed but it doesn't last as long as before...

I agree with you it's not a chemical imbalance, meds are there to help not to cure. They are like crutches, they help you walk but YOU have to walk....

4. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

In my experience all the bad things that happened caused the stress that permanently altered my brain that caused chemical imbalance. Some times it takes many tried of different meds to find the one that works for you. Please keep trying.

5. spidy

spidy Well-Known Member

I myself dont believe in meds as it is lifes circumstance yet as said above they are a crutch not cure they help with coping.You have to learn not to be so hard on yourself as well as this dont help with healing.Venting with talk and talking to get emotions out really help try not to let things build up inside get them out i find that best cure whether talking to somebody or getting it on paper even turn some into poetry song or story great way.Also forum like this as there is support

6. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

morning rush, you said it so well......

I was prescribed Prozac, and for me, taking them for months - was useless, because I knew they were not the answer for me.

The only thing that righted my "imbalance" was INSIGHT, along with (until a couple of months ago when I decided not to buy them any more, 5HTP - the herbal, non-addictive serotonin-balancer). In coming around from my attempt I was given all sorts of other stuff - they may have done something, I don't know. But, it was insight into my situation that I craved, and which I knew I'd never find from a bottle.

Like you say, Bigman, we are not born 'this way' - life and other people do stuff to us - and sometimes, destroy our confidence and ability to cope with them, leaving us without hope.

Although you may not be able to see it at the moment in this pit, it's actually (without minimising your pain in any way at all, because I've been there and know how painful it is) an opportunity to discover stuff previously unknown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.