• Apologies for the issue with a bizarre redirect on the site earlier today. There was a large server update and an error in an IP address had the traffic routing wrongly. No hacking or anything nefarious and nothing to worry about. Sorry for any stress/anxiety caused. Very best wishes - SF Admin

January 17th - Jim's Cafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurelia

Over a low sun, undo the undone.
No cafe yet today? I haven't spoken much in these things as of late, and the day I finally decide, "I think I'm going to go say hello in today's cafe," there's none to be found!

So looks like I'm going to be starting it.

Today's questions:

1. What, in your opinion, is the most beautiful thing to look at (or watch happen) in the universe?
2. What would be your estimate of how quickly you drink your coffee (or tea, if you prefer) when you make a cup (assuming that it's not too hot to drink in a normal fashion)? And do you drink the whole thing or is there usually some left over in the cup when you're done drinking it?
3. For those without a job, how often do you leave your house? And for those with a job, how often do you leave your house to do other things when you're not working?
4. How many people do you have in your life whom you would call friends (my definition of friends are people who would be there to talk or support you when you need it, and who would do what they could to help if you were in a tough situation)?
5. Name 3 things that either help you destress or just some things that you enjoy (could be objects, activities, hobbies, whatever)?
6. If you drink soda, what is your favorite soda? Or if you don't drink it, what is your favorite drink?

1610902187183.png

^^ I've been eating the shit out of these. Usually, I'm not a huge fan of chocolate, but these are, like, the perfect ratio of chocolate to cream filling.

1610902980812.png

I've also really liked eating grilled chicken parm sandwiches as of late. But it has to be grilled chicken, not breaded. And light on the sauce, and plenty of cheese. And the ones I get from the local Italian restaurant look about 10 times better than this picture :P They also marinate their grilled chicken in some shit. Whatever it is, it's freaking amazing.

And lastly...

1610903405363.png

Shrimp alfredo. This has always been one of my favorites.

And a cherry pepsi to go with it. Maybe also some breadsticks, or mozzarella sticks/fries.

Post some pictures of your favorite things to eat or drink if you like.

Last edited by a moderator:

adamjam

Hey @Aurelia thanks for the tag and questions. I love those snack cakes, paired with pringles and an ice cold coke yum.
1. I really like trees, especially pine trees in the winter covered in snow. It looks idealic to me.
2. With all the kids it's hard for me to drink a whole cup and I'm always losing a full cup of hot coffee.
3. Unfortunately I'm unable to work right now, having worked since 12yrs old I'm losing my mind. I dont really have money so I go to the grocery store once a week and that's it. Besides everything is still restricted where I live and not much is open.
4. 0
5. Music, reading, art.
6. Coca Cola
Hope everyone has a great day today.

adamjam

Hey @Aurelia thanks for the tag and questions. I love those snack cakes, paired with pringles and an ice cold coke yum.
1. I really like trees, especially pine trees in the winter covered in snow. It looks idealic to me.
2. With all the kids it's hard for me to drink a whole cup and I'm always losing a full cup of hot coffee.
3. Unfortunately I'm unable to work right now, having worked since 12yrs old I'm losing my mind. I dont really have money so I go to the grocery store once a week and that's it. Besides everything is still restricted where I live and not much is open.
4. 0, I want to add the kindness of strangers is never ending, which has most likely kept me going.
5. Music, reading, art.
6. Coca Cola
Hope everyone has a great day today.

Livelife

SF Supporter
1. I once watched a butterfly coming out of it's chrysalis over a day, that was beautiful, there's so much that is beautiful to see or watch happen, nature is at the top. Watching people experience being relieved of pain, people accomplishing their heart's desire or dream etc.
2. about 1/2 hour in the winter, has to be warm, usually there's some left in the bottom unless it's good chai.
3. I leave the house daily to walk and be outside, on occasion not if I'm in a really bad way once or twice a month
4. Now it's 2 that would be there to talk to a certain level, 0 to come if in a tough situation
5. 1. being in nature 2.cuddling with the dogs 3. meditation
6. a coke once a week, iced tea always
the idea of having a really good any kind of Italian or Asian or Greek restaurant in this city is a fantasy...I remember *thumbsupreal pizza and deli from New York, *hi5seafood from Boston and Maine, :DAsian from San Fran......

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
1. What, in your opinion, is the most beautiful thing to look at (or watch happen) in the universe?
Well that's going to be a bit hard to narrow down. Images of nebulae spring to mind, such as The Butterfly nebula, Pillars od creation. Closer to home, the aurora borealis I suppose

2. What would be your estimate of how quickly you drink your coffee (or tea, if you prefer) when you make a cup (assuming that it's not too hot to drink in a normal fashion)? And do you drink the whole thing or is there usually some left over in the cup when you're done drinking it?
Time is not part of the equation when I drink coffee. It's just me and the cup. Usually I'll drink the whole thing, providing it's a decent brew.

3. For those without a job, how often do you leave your house? And for those with a job, how often do you leave your house to do other things when you're not working?
When I'm not working, how often I'll leave the house will vary depending on what I need to do. If the weather's good, then I'll be out more often even if it is just kicking back in the garden.

4. How many people do you have in your life whom you would call friends (my definition of friends are people who would be there to talk or support you when you need it, and who would do what they could to help if you were in a tough situation)?
None

5. Name 3 things that either help you destress or just some things that you enjoy (could be objects, activities, hobbies, whatever)?
Listening to music, going for walks, reading.
6. If you drink soda, what is your favorite soda? Or if you don't drink it, what is your favorite drink?
Rarely drink soda, but when I do, it'll be Coke, straight glass, 3 ice cubes and a slice of lime.

JMG

~ Crazy Cat Lady ~
Tysm for tagging me @Aurelia & for opening the cafe today! :) Good to see you also, hope you're well. That food all looks soo yummy and tempting lol, some of my fave food is chocolate, samosas, chinese, mexican (non-spicy only), italian (pasta, love pizza too but haven't been able to eat it for years now), most kinds of seafood, cheese, cake, pie, chips, crackers and all kinds of other yummy but unhealthy as hell things lol.

Soo tempted to put a dirty answer for this but then I'd get in trouble lol. Quite hard to pick just one "most beautiful thing" anyway so I'm gonna have to say it's kind of a tie between nature, animals (esp. cats) doing all the adorable cute lil things they do, the original Star Wars movies, looking at pix of Mark Hamill and watching him talk, act, walk, everything really lol.

1-2 mins, I only ever drink tea. I try not to leave anything in the bottom but sometimes there's a tiny bit.

As little as possible. Basically only go out to go grocery shopping, go visit my 1 real life friend or sometimes to go to another store or 2 for some other things but that's about it. Oh and when I visit my sis but that is less than once per month. Ya I def. don't go out much but I think it's better for everyone that way anyway so whatever, could be worse.

If this includes online people as well then it is still a pathetically sad list (I say pathetic not to describe the people of course cos they are great, but to describe the number being so small) of maybe 2-3 people max. The number for family is 5-6 people I think.

Star Wars, Mark Hamill, cats :)

I sincerely wish I could still drink pop cos I love root beer so much it's not even funny. I def. miss it very much, but prob. for the best that I can't drink it anymore cos it's loaded with sugar anyway. So ya of the things I'm still able to drink my fave thing is orange juice but I don't really drink it very much, mostly just drink water & chamomile tea these days (I know I'm such an exciting person lol)

1. What, in your opinion, is the most beautiful thing to look at (or watch happen) in the universe? The moon and the stars especially lunar eclipses
'
2. What would be your estimate of how quickly you drink your coffee (or tea, if you prefer) when you make a cup (assuming that it's not too hot to drink in a normal fashion)? And do you drink the whole thing or is there usually some left over in the cup when you're done drinking it? i dont drink coffee or tea that much so idk

3. For those without a job, how often do you leave your house? And for those with a job, how often do you leave your house to do other things when you're not working? i go outside for walks

4. How many people do you have in your life whom you would call friends (my definition of friends are people who would be there to talk or support you when you need it, and who would do what they could to help if you were in a tough situation)? like 4 people

5. Name 3 things that either help you destress or just some things that you enjoy (could be objects, activities, hobbies, whatever)? collecting rocks, gems and crystals for my practices, reading, learning

6. If you drink soda, what is your favorite soda? Or if you don't drink it, what is your favorite drink? my favorite soda would be dr pepper

Lane

SF Supporter
1. Favorite thing, majestic beings such as tigers, snakes, eagles..most living creatures.

2. I actually know bcz I do the same thing every morning. Takes about 15 minutes to drink and yup every drop.

3. I try to go out one or two nights after work and do something on the weekends. Heres some pics from this weekend.

4. Like 2 who I'd call. Rest we've grown apart but still friends.

5. Taking walks, watching TV, coloring/drawing

6. Diet coke. Yes, I like the taste of diet 😜 20210117_123600.jpg 20210117_122637.jpg 20210117_110132.jpg 20210117_152728.jpg 20210116_115455.jpg

cymbele

SF Supporter
Good afternoon. Lazy Sunday here but I will "work " to answer some of the questions

Too many things to appreciate; can't think of one thing in particular

It takes me 15 minutes to finish the first cup and then the second I take a long time - sometimes not finishing it...

When I am not working I force myself out daily to do something. More for mental health since it is just me and the cats and I need to be with people. When working remote I sometimes don't leave the house at all which is a bad habit. When I work in the office I barely go out during the week and am mostly out for the weekend.

about 4; I know I am lucky at that

Exercise helps me destress and focus on something else other than my problems. Reading, and playing on the computer help also.

Diet Coke WITH LIME. Almost any soda/water with lime.

Harmony

SF Supporter
Thank you for opening cafe and tagging me @Aurelia. I like my hostess cupcakes, orange flavored and funny bones too.

My favorite dishes usually include pasta or fish, shrimp etc. Homecooked food my favorite. View attachment 42113 View attachment 42114
My eyes just popped out of my head. These are two of my favorites as well which I'll be adding to my grocery list. It's so easy to polish off a box of these bad boys.

Last edited:

Auri

🎸🎼Metal Star🎼🎸
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Only one?! Torture question. I'll say stars at night, if they're visible where you are (they're not at my place, which makes it special for me). But trees, flowers, animals, lakes, mountains, northern lights, lightnings, the ocean.......

Coffee, in the 10 minutes following the preparation.
Tea, in the 30 minutes following preparation.
I always drink the whole thing, to the last drop, and I use a spoon to take out all the foam from my coffee. :)

About twice a week since the last lockdown (October), at least once for groceries for sure. Before covid, I wouldn't really stay at home for more than one day.

Enough. I have 2 friends in my city I can count on anytime. Other friends around the world I speak to more or less often, but I know if I asked, they'd be there (I just never ever ask, lol).

Listening to music loud enough.
Speaking to a friend about anything, or them talking and me listening, much more realistic. :p
Colouring, drawing if the symptoms of stress are more severe.

Solving the Rubik's Cube.

Water, tea, coffee and water with lemon are my only (non-alcoholic) drinks.
If I crave some soda like once a year, it can be Fanta or Sprite. Coke is ok too, I guess. I don't really like Pepsi nor IceTea/Nestea, and my knowledge of soda is pretty much limited to those, lol.

Dante

Took 5 years to learn how to make a custom title.
SF Pro
SF Supporter
No cafe yet today? I haven't spoken much in these things as of late, and the day I finally decide, "I think I'm going to go say hello in today's cafe," there's none to be found!

So looks like I'm going to be starting it.
wow, Not leaving much time before the next one, I would have waited 5 hours or so and made the 18th early.

Someone you love. So far nothing has ever matched that, although watching little kids act like adults is so bloody adorable that its a strong 2nd.

I drink the whole thing, and usually within a few minutes (temperature and activity allowing)

I barely leave my house except for work and shopping. I used to have regular evenings out on weekends, but Covid put a stop to that one.

Not including family? None. I have some "friends" but they aren't the kind to give a shit if you are in trouble. My boss comes strangely close as he tried to help out when I need it, but he is my boss, so I cant exactly open up to him.

1) My favourite road on my commute home, if its been raining and its dark it is a complete delight to drive down, charging through deep puddles and partially flooded roads at 20 miles an hour is awesome.
2) Perusing my "Treasured memories and spoons" box (It is treasured memories and spoons because it used to be a box for cutlery which I repurposed as a keepsakes box) I cant do this often or it will lose its specialness.
3) I have no more ways to destress, so I suppose I will mention my love of carrying random weird objects with me. At university I had a sonic screwdriver toy (among other things) always on my person, at the moment I have a "Zero Fucks" decision maker coin that I cart around. https://www.zerofuckscoin.com/products/antiqued-silver-one-fuck-zero-fucks-decision-maker-coin
I would have more trinkets, but I have limited pocket space and my pockets are filled more and more with useful items, so less room for random.

6. If you drink soda, what is your favourite soda? Or if you don't drink it, what is your favourite drink?
I like Vanilla Coke, it was first sold in the UK a couple decades ago, then vanished for about a decade, then just suddenly returned. When I saw it was on sale again (advert on the side of a bus) I ran to the nearest shop to find it.

Post some pictures of your favorite things to eat or drink if you like.
Dont mind if I do:

A proper home-cooked roast dinner

Norwegian Food (Specifically Brown Cheese and Norwegian Waffles, though I haven't tried them together)

A nice Saturday fry-up

A slice of Cheesecake

Blue Star

I'll answer a couple of questions. Thanks for opening, Aurelia.

Galaxies. I like the spiral shape. You see spirals everywhere in nature.

6. If you drink soda, what is your favorite soda? Or if you don't drink it, what is your favorite drink? Coca Cola!

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Thanks for opening and for the tag @Aurelia :)

1. What, in your opinion, is the most beautiful thing to look at (or watch happen) in the universe
How can I choose just one? Aurora Borealis, phosphorescence in the sea, shooting stars, birth.

I'm really slow at drinking hot drinks. It's not unusual for me to still be sipping at it 30 or 40 minutes later. I always drink every drop.

3. For those without a job, how often do you leave your house?
I walk the dog a couple of times a week (my daughter generally walks him). Pre lockdown I'd go to therapy once a week and maybe meet a friend for coffee.

Five. I adore them.

My bed, my dog and a hug.

I do get through a fair bit of diet coke but my favourite is ginger beer (either the alcohol variety or the non alcoholic).

Some of my favourite food & drink ❤️

Aromatic Crispy Duck
cq5dam.thumbnail.400.400.png

Eggs Benedict
Non-Feature-eggs-benedict-recipe-breakfast1.jpg

Tiramisu
homemade-tiramisu-2.jpg

My favourite champagne
louis_roederer_cristal_2012_champagne_75cl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running