Jim's Cafe -- January 3, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
Well good morning peeps! As I found the lights off and in desperate need for coffee...I decided would open up the cafe....

Here's some coffee and some tea for those in need...

wallace and gromit.jpg penguin coffee.jpg tea.jpg

Who Knew Today is
National Drinking Straw Day....
Back in the 1880s, Marvin Stone, a Washington, D.C., resident, was drinking a mint julep with what was then the standard of
straws: a stalk of rye grass. Stone hated the gritty residue the straw left in his drink as it broke down, according to the
Smithsonian Institution’s Lemelson Center for the Study of Invention and Innovation. So he made his own
drinking device by wrapping strips of paper around a pencil. After removing the writing implement, he glued the paper
strips together. And thus was born the modern drinking straw.

National Toss the Fruitcake Day
The fruitcakes will fly once again in downtown Manitou Springs! There will be a fruitcake costume competition, libations and
a fruitcake bake-off!

National Chocolate Covered Cherry Day
Chocolate covered cherries were introduced to the world by Cella’s Confections in New York in 1929 and were an immediate
hit, quickly becoming famous the world over.

So now to some random questions... everyone feel free to add/edit etc. etc..

1) If You Had The World’s Attention For 30 Seconds, What Would You Say?
2) What was your favorite toy growing up?
3) If you could shop for free at one store for the rest of your life, which store would you choose?

tagging @Bergerac @Shadowlands @Lane @pooky @JMG @Champagne @nobodyknows71 @Innocent Forever @Nick @Blue Star @BlueGreen @Nick @mpk @JMG @Waves @extraterrestrialone @Sunday16 @Witty⭐️Sarcasm ⭐️ @Sunspots @Kira @Citizen Insane @MisterBGone @Sassy the Wonderful Cat

Wishing all a great relaxing Sunday....

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
So to answer my own questions...

Implore people to welcome each person who comes into their life that day as a gift whether family, friends, colleagues or complete strangers and so treat them with empathy, love, compassion and respect, proactive listening and celebrating each individual's uniqueness as doing so could bring a greater understanding that we are all part of this global community and we can all make positive impacts in the microcosm of our own lives but also the macrocosm of the greater world by doing so.

Hands down a slinky

3) If you could shop for free at one store for the rest of your life, which store would you choose?
A Parisian bakery....fresh baguettes, almond croissants, regular croissants... granted would be as big as a house but oh would be so happy...lol...

Livelife

SF Supporter
Thank you for the tag @Kiwi2016
And thank you for that info on straw history...Chocolate covered cherries were a fav as a kid, I haven't had one in decades:D
I would say "Be kind, have compassion, don't judge, love yourself (all that that means) and be of service"
I loved books and playing keyboards from about 4 on. I think I had a Chatty Kathy doll I was really attached to and my mother gave it away*huh
Really good and international grocery stores on the top of the only list.

Last edited:

Dante

Git
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Well good morning peeps! As I found the lights off and in desperate need for coffee...I decided would open up the cafe....

View attachment 41753
Ah thank you, as you cant physically give me this cup of tea I brewed it myself, and it was excellent, thanks.

Who Knew Today is
Back in the 1880s, Marvin Stone, a Washington, D.C., resident, was drinking a mint julep with what was then the standard of
straws: a stalk of rye grass. Stone hated the gritty residue the straw left in his drink as it broke down, according to the
Smithsonian Institution’s Lemelson Center for the Study of Invention and Innovation. So he made his own
drinking device by wrapping strips of paper around a pencil. After removing the writing implement, he glued the paper

The fruitcakes will fly once again in downtown Manitou Springs! There will be a fruitcake costume competition, libations and
a fruitcake bake-off!

Chocolate covered cherries were introduced to the world by Cella’s Confections in New York in 1929 and were an immediate
There is always another thing to celebrate and only 365 days to do it with :) So every day is a "something" day, which I suppose is a good thing, it means there is always something to celebrate, each and every day.

That very much depends on if they would listen, if I just had their attention for 30 seconds, nothing else, I would not say a word, I wouldn't even let them see me, having the world's attention for 30 seconds sounds like a terrible curse, too many crazies who would take issue, you may even be seen as chaneling evil powers to gain that attention, so you may be killed by a jihadist or murdered as the antichrist.
If I had their attention and they would sincerely LISTEN to me and take in onboard, I suppose I would tell them to get up off their asses and start correcting the horrendous disparity between the rich and the poor and that those with money have a responsibility to try to do GOOD with it, not just make more money.
The problem is no one listens to things they dont want to hear, and will openly attack anything they dont like that they cant easily dismiss.
A white teddy bear called Snowy, unfortunately I ended up giving him to my little sister because she couldn't sleep, I have always regretted it, I miss my bear, but by this point she has owned him a LOT longer than I have, so to be fair, he is more hers than mine.
Oh this is EASY, after a quick google search I have chosen Sotheby's on Bond Street in London, They sell property, fine art, jewellery and collectables, they even hold auctions, and being able to turn up and say "mine" to anything there, even large buildings in central London, would make me immensely rich when I sell it on, allowing me to buy anything, anywhere.
Whenever you get a magical deal like this, you really have to monopolise on it, anyone who just chose "Asda" or "Wallmart" or similar so they don't have to pay for groceries again clearly didnt think this through.

adamjam

Thanks for the tag.
If I had the world attention for 30 seconds I'd tell everyone to get over themselves, that it doesn't matter where your from, what culture you live in or what your skin color is, deep down we are all the same. We face challenges and while those challenges may differ we still respond to them with the same emotions and tears. We are not different.
My favorite toy growing up was my imagination.
The one store I would shop at would be a gas station with a mini mart and fast food place.
Chocolate covered cherries and a hot cup of coffee would be my favorite meal, j/s

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
Thanks for the tag @Kiwi2016 :)

I love chocolate covered cherries, particularly if they're the liqueur soaked chocolate covered cherries ;)

If they would listen and take heed I would tell them to treat everyone else as they would like to be treated themselves.

Not sure if it counts as a toy but the treehouse in our garden was my favourite thing.

Harrods. They sell everything known to man.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Harrods. They sell everything known to man.
No mate, I beg to differ. Near where I work is this independant small store that's been trading for must be 40+ yrs now. That place is an Aladdin's cave and the guy who runs it, he either has practically everything or can acquire it for you within 3 working days. Trust me, if there is actually anything he doesn't stock, it's not worth having.

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
No mate, I beg to differ. Near where I work is this independant small store that's been trading for must be 40+ yrs now. That place is an Aladdin's cave and the guy who runs it, he either has practically everything or can acquire it for you within 3 working days. Trust me, if there is actually anything he doesn't stock, it's not worth having.
Ahhhh.. but does he have a champagne and oyster bar? ;)

Dante

Git
SF Pro
SF Supporter
I know a couple of places like this, they are a special breed of shop, always worth visiting, I call them "everything shops" they are a great shop to visit right after you move to a new place, if you lost or are missing anything for the flat/house, one trip there and you're sorted. They don't have an amazing stock of each type of item, but they have what you need one way or another.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
I know a couple of places like this, they are a special breed of shop, always worth visiting, I call them "everything shops" they are a great shop to visit right after you move to a new place, if you lost or are missing anything for the flat/house, one trip there and you're sorted. They don't have an amazing stock of each type of item, but they have what you need one way or another.
Yeah I know what you're saying. The most obscure item and it'll be like, "how many do you need son?"

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter

Get Bent!

Other than the obvious for a guy? LOL
Serious answer was dominoes whether straight dominoes, Moon or 42.

MidwayUSA

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter

View attachment 41753 View attachment 41754 View attachment 41755

Who Knew Today is

a fruitcake bake-off!

So now to some random questions... everyone feel free to add/edit etc. etc..

tagging @Bergerac @Shadowlands @Lane @pooky @JMG @Champagne @nobodyknows71 @Innocent Forever @Nick @Blue Star @BlueGreen @Nick @mpk @JMG @Waves @extraterrestrialone @Sunday16 @Witty⭐️Sarcasm ⭐️ @Sunspots @Kira @Citizen Insane @MisterBGone @Sassy the Wonderful Cat

Wishing all a great relaxing Sunday....
Sorry Kiwi, that I didn't get here early. Been writing poetry alternately with being lazy. Yaknow, when I was a kid my parents took us to classical concerts ballet and the opera and we often had chocolate covered cherries at intermission. Yum. The music only sunk in as amazing, years later. I guess I'm gunna fall asleep now. Thanks for the invite Kiwi. Restful sleep everyone... see you tomorrow. Good night 😴

JMG

~ Peace and love to all ~
Tysm for tagging me @Kiwi2016 & for opening the cafe :) Lol about those national days too. I thought of some more people to tag also: @Baywasp @foreverforgotten @sinking_ship @Road to Nowhere @RCee @Walker @1964dodge @JDot @PrincessPure

Sorry this q requires far more thinking than I think I can do right now. Maybe a combination of what Sunspots and may71 said though.

Kinda changed with each age, there wasn't just "one" lol. Some of my fave toys were cupcake dolls, barbies, stuffed animals and nutty putty.

Walmart. Or amazon. Either of those would be great, lots of awesome stuff at both stores imo :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00