Jim's cafe Monday 23rd November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Welcome to Jim's cafe, its a brand new week :) What are your plans for the week? Feel free to share as much as you want :) Have a great week. *hug

For anyone that remembers Mean Girls, the movie, remember this awesome track?! Sooo many memories good and bad from the time this movie came out, want to laugh and cry :D

What is the best and worst purchases you’ve ever made?

What are some things that sound like compliments but are actually insults?

What’s your biggest screw up in the kitchen?

What’s something your brain tries to make you do and you have to will yourself not to do it?

What’s the most interesting thing you’ve read or seen this week?

Last edited:

Dante

Git
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Q: What is the best and worst purchases you’ve ever made?
Best: This is tricky, but I'm going to say my car, it has never broken down, I have driven it tens of thousands of miles so far, an it is the perfect little car for England, it is my freedom to go where and when I please.
Worst: A 3TB Western Digital Green HDD, I transferred all my data over to it and it corrupted immediately, the first and only drive I ever owned which corrupted, so I didn't have my data backed up anywhere else. Despite my efforts I lost over 50% of all my digital files going back to childhood, including photo albums and university projects.

Q: What are some things that sound like compliments but are actually insults?
A: Any compliment that goes against your own self-image, like telling a guy who values his masculinity that he is cute, or telling a strong woman that she is cute, telling a kid who thinks he is a "big boy now" that he is cute... hmm, maybe its best to just avoid telling anyone that they are "cute".

Q: What’s your biggest screw up in the kitchen?
A: I once cooked a pineapple pizza... I mean she said she wanted a pineapple pizza, but I should have just said no... I should have just said no! DX

Q: What’s something your brain tries to make you do and you have to will yourself not to do it?
A: Rationalise how everything that anyone blames me for is really their fault and that I am blameless, and not just make excuses, but really convince myself. It is a defence mechanism that myself and my dad have in common, and because I saw it working in him, I realised I did it too and have made a conscious effort to stop it, which has largely worked.

Q: What’s the most interesting thing you’ve read or seen this week?
A: I'm afraid nothing especially springs to mind, its been an especially uninteresting week... I suppose the thread "Isolated? Lonely? Click here!" surprised me by showing the demographic of this forum isnt quite what I thought? I really didnt have anything interesting come up this week.

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
Thanks for opening @Champagne :)

What are your plans for the week?
I'm making my Christmas cards and most of my gifts this year so I really ought to get going with them. I'm also going to have a go at making beeswax wraps as I'm embarrassed by how much cling film we use and it's sooo bad for the environment.

The best is probably my Mulberry handbag - I'd always wanted one and when I found my lump I promised myself that if it was cancer I'd get one as life is too short. I absolutely adore that bag.
The worst is a JCB. Impulse buy. Luckily one I got out of. Never lived it down *hiding

When I first left home I was attempting to make a mushroom stroganoff. The sauce was too thin so I added some cornflour to thicken it which didn't seem to do much so I added some more. And some more... I complained to Nick that the sauce wasn't thickening. He looked at the pan, moved it back onto the heat and within about 20 seconds it had turned to concrete.

What’s something your brain tries to make you do and you have to will yourself not to do it?
Walk away.

A YouTube tutorial on how to make different patterned pom-poms. I know. Please don't judge me.

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
thank you for opening the cafe and inviting me @Champagne . i hope you have a great week ahead, you deserve that and so much more.

1. best and worst purchase: best purchase of course would be my 64 dodge, worst was a military ambulance that had no power steering and i turned white turning a corner from a stop. everyone hated my truck except me and my grandson. it had all the military lights and even a few bullet holes in the back.

2. compliments that are insults : you look good for your age

3. biggest screw up in the kitchen : i make mexican eggrolls that are soggy and greasy, they taste good but aren't cooked good enough for me. why my family bugs me for them i have no idea.

4. brain makes me do : sleep it always wants me to sleep

5. most interesting thing i read or saw this week : about vitamin d making a big difference with covid. my nurse told me but i didnt really believe her at the time. i hate being wrong lol

mike

JMG

~ Peace and love to all ~
Ty for opening the cafe today & for the q's @Champagne :)
(I will tag some others too - @Kiwi2016 @Baywasp @extraterrestrialone @Blue Star @Road to Nowhere @cymbele @pooky @Reaver @bag_of_struggles (will do more in another post) ;)
Not much planned for me this week, gonna be going to the library tomorrow to pick up the 2nd book in a manga series I've started reading (first manga book I ever read) so I'm looking forward to that. Also gotta get some groceries which will be very exciting lol. Might go to my friend's place in the eve, not sure yet. Aside from that guess I'll be doing a lot of reading anyway.

Best - All the SW things I ever bought (there is a specific thing but kinda uncomfortable saying it here even though I have said it here before lol)
Worst - A pair of pink neon thigh highs a month or 2 ago, they are beautiful & well made but I didn't realize they don't stay up well at all. Maybe my legs just need to lose the extra 50 pounds I've put on over the last couple years though, not sure.

Can't think of anything really, it's not necessarily what is said anyway, it's more "how" it's said imo. I agree with what others said also.

Lol oh boy lots of things really, guess one of my worst is when I've burned cookies. Also when I had only first started getting back into making them, I once accidentally mixed the sugar with the flour (supposed to do that separate with cookies) I think I managed to still make it work but ya I felt kinda dumb about that lol oh well.

SH, sometimes.

A Mark Hamill video on youtube :)
Read some interesting things too (been reading about 3 diff. books lol) :p

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
good (almost) morning @Champagne its only about 11PM here but why not come in for an evening snack...??? and enjoy these Qs. i think i will!!! so thanks for the café and thanks @JMG for tagging me.

What is the best and worst purchases you’ve ever made? must be food. some sushi... stilton blue cheese... pomegranates... certain plums... these are only the few things that are coming to mind at the moment. i definitely have some other pretty good contenders and not just food. as for the worst, i’m thinking of some salami i once purchased that was actually rotten. some “beef” that that was literally too tough to chew and had some kind of weird gamy taste. then there’s our kitchen range and fridge made with mostly breakable parts both not over 6 years old but in worse shape than other appliances 30 or more years old.

What are some things that sound like compliments but are actually insults? people call me interesting because interesting sounds interesting but they only say it because they can’t think of something actually nice to say and want to sound complimentary. its mainly because i look like this 3B0DFCE8-B68A-4BC0-BFD9-65B808A17CF3.jpeg so i get it, but even still, look at that smile, those eyes and that kindness emitting... they could have said better!!!

What’s your biggest screw up in the kitchen? the exploding oven... the fire in the dishwasher... the soup on the floor, the stew splattering on the ceiling. the overflowing sink, the dish shelf falling down with the fancy china... well that was last night’s dinner but i bet there were some worse some time in the past.

What’s something your brain tries to make you do and you have to will yourself not to do it? this is very complex. i can elaborate but i’ll need a cup of tea and a digestive biscuit first.

What’s the most interesting thing you’ve read or seen this week? information on the website of an organization that is helping adult victims of childhood sexual abuse.

sun up yet or not, hoping your day will have plenty 🌞🌞🌞
👽

kat319

SF Supporter
What is the best and worst purchases you’ve ever made? My SUV. Online clothing purchases.

What are some things that sound like compliments but are actually insults? You look like you've lost some weight. You look nice today.

What’s your biggest screw up in the kitchen? Overcooked rice dishes

What’s something your brain tries to make you do and you have to will yourself not to do it? Binge of sugary food

What’s the most interesting thing you’ve read or seen this week? Nothing yet.

Witty_Sarcasm

🦄🦜🧁🌈🌝💖
SF Supporter
No plans, probably just a whole lot of nothing.

Best, well I guess most of the things I buy are the best :P The worst is anything that falls apart after little use.

You're younger than I thought you were.

Not much, maybe things just breaking apart when they aren't supposed to.

To open up about my feelings because it's largely ignored.

Not sure

Inya

babaya gayolera
Thanks for opening the cafe @Champagne and for tagging me @JMG

Best would be this flat that is worth much more today than it was when I bought it. I don’t know about the worst, I bought a lot off useless junk in my life lol. Oh and a pain in the ass car that I got rid of in a few months.

You’re not as stupid as you look.

Hmm, if we’re talking about food, I always find a way to fix it unless I burn it. I manage to do that once a year or so.

Half of my brain says drink all the booze you can find, and the other half says don’t be stupid, or you’ll be thirsty tomorrow.

Sharknado movie. It is definitely *interesting*.

britishbloke

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Thanks for opening @Champagne and thank you for the tag @JMG !

Best. Gifts for other people. Worst.... Far too many.

So quite recently, I was cooking a pizza... I didn't put it on a tray.... It fell through.... Safe to say, my girlfriend still won't be trusting me in the kitchen... *rofl

overthink for sure

if the week is starting on Monday, I've read a couple of emails, a few messages and a few things on SF :D

KindaOtiose

Thanks for opening the cafe @Champagne. I hope everyone is doing okay and had a decent Monday.

Best - Probably my computer. I use it a lot and it is very useful.
Worst - Probably some rubbish I bought as a child.

"That's surprisingly good".

Food burnt to a crisp after being forgotten about.

Give up.

I'm reading an interesting book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00