Jim's Cafe - Towel Day 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante

Git
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Cool Text - Jims Cafe - TOWEL DAY 384909866295065.png
And here's me saying a big hello to all you sentient life-forms out there! I hope you hoopy froods know where your towel is because today my friends, is TOWEL DAY!!
Today is the day we celebrate Douglas Adams, the writer and creator, of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the most wholly remarkable, certainly the most successful book ever to come out of the great publishing cooperation of Ursa Minor.

To really delve into the importance of Towel Day, what better way is there than to consult the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, which has already supplanted the great Encyclopaedia Galactica as the standard repository of all knowledge and wisdom, for though it has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least wildly inaccurate, it scores over the older, more pedestrian work in two important respects. First, it is slightly cheaper; and secondly it has the words Don’t Panic inscribed in large friendly letters on its cover.”

The Guide has this to say on the subject of Towels:
A towel is about the most massively useful thing any interstellar Hitch-Hiker can carry. For one thing it has great practical value.
You can wrap it around you for warmth on the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; sunbathe on in on the marble beaches of Santraginus V; huddle beneath it for protection from the Arcturan mega-gnats as you sleep beneath the stars of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand combat; wrap it around your head to avoid the gaze of the ravenous bug-blatter beast of Traal, which is such a mind bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you cant see it, it cant see you; and even dry yourself of with it if it still seems clean enough.

So, without further ado, the tables:

Towel Table
The table to discuss that most essential piece of Hitch-Hiker's kit.
1) Do YOU know where your towel is?
2) What kind of towel do you use?
3) Either describe or share with us a photo of your towel.
4) What is the most creative use you have put your towel to?
5) If money was no object, what is your dream towel?

Hitch Hiker's Guide Table
A table for the discussion of that most wholly remarkable franchise, spanning Radio, Books, TV, Merchandise, Stage appearances and more (But we dont mention the film).
1) Are you a fan of The Hitchhiker's Guide?
2) What is your favourite adaptation of the story? (Radio, Book, TV...)
3) Are you personally celebrating Towel Day today?
4) When was the last time you enjoyed The Hitchhiker's Guide in any format?
5) What is your favourite quote/scene/moment from the franchise?

Adventure Table
All intergalactic Hitchhiker's have gained a story or two of great adventures, tell us yours.
1) Where is the furthest and wildest place you have been?
2) Have you ever ACTUALLY hitch-hiked?
3) What survival gadget did you find the most useful when roaming the world or the wilds?
4) What is your best adventure story?
5) Where are you planning to go next, tell us about it.

The Bar
All good Hitch-hikers find themselves in a bar more often than not, so come in, take a load off, get your towel cleaned and say Hi.
1) Say Hi
2) Say something else.

The Recruitment Table
No one ever responds to this table, the poor staff of this table have grown despondent and would like to pass on this message:
"We dont care if you get back to us, we are all off Hitch-Hiking anyway, but if you DO feel like doing a Cafe, it doesnt need to be big, or special, or unique, it just has to be a space for everyone to gather.... everyone but us... we are long gone."

Tags
@Harrow @Auri @Dinolaur @bubblebear @arbitrarybarry @1964dodge @Dycorp @HappyKitty

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
I am not much with the towel one because I just buy whatever is on sale and looks sturdy and comfortable and it has been a long time since I read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but..

Alaska on the one trip there, it is pretty wild but really beautiful. I have visited Montana and Idaho quite a lot and both have areas that fit but are often not quite as cold.

I did a few times when younger, but not often.

3) What survival gadget did you find the most useful when roaming the world or the wilds?

Since fresh water is readily found when I go out the most important is a good, high quality sleeping bag. There were folks who thought I was stupid, crazy or lying a number of months back with the big storm and we had 200 plus hours of sub freezing weather and I told them if they lost power and heat the inside of their houses would be like them living in their freezer until they lived it in some cases for a week.

All of them have been great, many a time out camping, fishing, hunting and just enjoying nature and the wilds and wildlife.

No real plans, I just go whichever way the wind blows me. :)

JMG

~ Peace and love to all ~
Cool cafe @Dante thanks for opening it and tagging me :) I'll answer q's at the towel table and adventure table but I got nothin for the Hitchhiker's guide one since I never read it. Here's my answers then & also some pix of some towels I like :) ;) Hope you and everyone else have a nice day, pretty sure there's not much point in me saying that but I'm gonna keep right on saying it anyway, just in case.

Towel Table
The table to discuss that most essential piece of Hitch-Hiker's kit.

1) Do YOU know where your towel is?
Yup, where it always is, hanging in the bathroom, lol.

2) What kind of towel do you use?
Beach towels usually, I like that they are a lot bigger than a regular one. I do not like for a towel to not be big enough.

3) Either describe or share with us a photo of your towel.
I have several towels but the one I use the most is pink with white flowers on it, I love it.
Some other ones I have are one with rainbow hearts on it, a plain blue, plain red, another one with an abstract pattern on it, a couple round ones and others too can't remember them all lol.

4) What is the most creative use you have put your towel to?
Can't think of anything for this sorry, I generally just tend to use it for what it's supposed to be used for, to dry off, lol.

5) If money was no object, what is your dream towel?
One that had tons of diff. pix of Mark Hamill on it for sure, that'd be awesome! :) ;) ❤ ❤ ❤
A rainbow ombre one with glitter stars would be really cool too. And one that had glitter hearts.

Adventure Table
All intergalactic Hitchhiker's have gained a story or two of great adventures, tell us yours.

Furthest is Spain. Haven't really been anywhere "wild" but went on some extremely dreadful camping trips as a kid anyway so maybe those count? Otherwise I got nothin sorry lol.

Hell no! Way too dangerous omg. The worst most likely would happen to me so no way am I ever gonna give anyone the opportunity to put me through even more hell than I've already been through thanks.

A travel clock was very useful when I went to Spain since I didn't have a cell phone yet. It was great cos it was very small but had an alarm on it so it could wake us up at the right time.

I don't really go on many adventures but I guess travelling to Spain and California were both very exciting and fun adventures for me. I saw lots of things I never saw before and got to do lots of cool and fun things, overall I enjoyed both trips very much and will always remember them :)

Would definitely very much like to go to California within the next 1-2 years (wanted to go this year but that didn't end up working out for various reasons) and the places I most want to see there are the Redwoods forest, San Francisco (mostly to go over the Golden gate bridge) and the Hollywood walk of fame. I've talked about this far too much here over the last 1-2 years, I'm sure it must seem so sad, lame and pathetic that I'm so utterly without the means to get there. I don't care how I come across overall at this point though since pretty sure it makes zero difference anyway. Whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00