• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

just a small stat and how little people do...

Jayjay289

Jay Jay from the UK
*BIT OF A RANT*

So, around 800,000 people kill themselves every year.

When will organisations take mental health seriously enough without the ROI question?

I spoke to a company just before lockdown regarding their MH strategy for their employees and they advised me that they do Mental Health Awareness Day every year.

1 flipping day a year.

Quite frankly, that is not enough, it doesn't even get on the graph in my opinion. If we want these numbers to decrease then big action, huge steps need to be made.

The ROI is very clear - for every £1 you spend on Mental Health Awareness your return is £5. Now quit with the tick box exercises and make a change, a big change.

EmB

Absolute Peach!
Agreed, many businesses hike on to look good and to make money, as they do with pride. They couldn't give one really, and it's just rubbish.

Sending hugs

MisterBGone

An interesting figure I’d heard yesterday, from ABC news correspondent chief medical resident (physician/doctor), whose Husband did the deed a few years ago, while they had two children in their late teens - I forget if they’d recently divorced; but he was apparently a lung surgeon, and displayed none of the tell tale warning signs they teach / tell you about in medical school. . . She also has a new book out— but anyway, during this interview, where she’s discussing all the therapy and everything else that her family’s gone through - she said something that I’d never heard. That on average, every suicide in the United States is said to effect approximately 100 people. I guess the key here is “average!” So, I find it difficult to come up with any sort of list of those that I personally now know, would fall into this category (or under that umbrella ☔️), but! Maybe half a life time ago - or so, I could definitely buy it. . :^)

Nick the Fantastical Duck

☆☆Ducking Fantastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
every suicide in the United States is said to effect approximately 100 people
I started thinking about this. I don't know the validity of this statistic, and that wasn't really relevant to my thinking. I overthink pretty much everything. I first thought there is no way my suicide would effect 100 people, pfft. I've been known to say nobody would miss me, nobody would care, blah blah. Which I'm sure makes my best friend want to punch me in the face (I'd want to punch him in the fact if he said that, so I think it's a fair reaction). So I took this to the next level and charted it out. You know what, it could effect 100 people.

You say what? You must be Mr. Popular. Nope. I live alone, work remotely, know basically nobody in my community, have little contact with my family, and none of my friends live within 1000 miles. So how the hell could it effect so many people? Well, first to be effected someone doesn't have to be overcome with grief. In fact, to be effected someone doesn't even have to know you.

Okay, so how to we get there. I've got my best friend and his wife. I'm going to assume they would be pretty upset. We'll say they each talk to two other people about it. Those people knew me or didn't, doesn't matter. Those people care about my friends, and because we are effected when the people we care about are hurt, they are also effected. Then there are people on SF who know, and the people they confide in. My co-workers, and the people they confide in. My landlord. My brothers. My parents. They are all affected on some level. My customers who now have to train the new guy. When I graphed it all out, there are a lot more connections then you realize.

So yeah, I might not be close to very many people. I might not have many people in my corner so to speak. My death would effect a number of people though. I think the same would be true for others if you stopped and looked at it. Some of it is practical, and yeah it's not people sad or mourning over you. Doesn't it still go to show you have a place in the world? Eh. I don't know just thinking about it.

Jayjay289

Jay Jay from the UK
I started thinking about this. I don't know the validity of this statistic, and that wasn't really relevant to my thinking. I overthink pretty much everything. I first thought there is no way my suicide would effect 100 people, pfft. I've been known to say nobody would miss me, nobody would care, blah blah. Which I'm sure makes my best friend want to punch me in the face (I'd want to punch him in the fact if he said that, so I think it's a fair reaction). So I took this to the next level and charted it out. You know what, it could effect 100 people.

You say what? You must be Mr. Popular. Nope. I live alone, work remotely, know basically nobody in my community, have little contact with my family, and none of my friends live within 1000 miles. So how the hell could it effect so many people? Well, first to be effected someone doesn't have to be overcome with grief. In fact, to be effected someone doesn't even have to know you.

Okay, so how to we get there. I've got my best friend and his wife. I'm going to assume they would be pretty upset. We'll say they each talk to two other people about it. Those people knew me or didn't, doesn't matter. Those people care about my friends, and because we are effected when the people we care about are hurt, they are also effected. Then there are people on SF who know, and the people they confide in. My co-workers, and the people they confide in. My landlord. My brothers. My parents. They are all affected on some level. My customers who now have to train the new guy. When I graphed it all out, there are a lot more connections then you realize.

So yeah, I might not be close to very many people. I might not have many people in my corner so to speak. My death would effect a number of people though. I think the same would be true for others if you stopped and looked at it. Some of it is practical, and yeah it's not people sad or mourning over you. Doesn't it still go to show you have a place in the world? Eh. I don't know just thinking about it.

Thats the thing, it could affect a complete random just reading the story in the news, not just a possible trigger but for them to create a movement possibly, its all about the domino effect and as you say this could filter through so many people, not just people you have met but others you havent so the cause could be mahoosive!!

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$600.00
Goal
$255.00