Just diagnosed with Bipolar Depression

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by BipolarGirl (Deathplease), Aug 28, 2015.

?

Are you bipolar?

1. yes

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. no

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is not good. I thought I was just having problems with my antidepressants so I went to see a psychiatrist (my general Doc who had been prescribing antidepressants said if these didn't work I should see a psychiatrist). I told the psychiatrist that I was having problems with the antidepressants and that they were making me have wild mood swings and I gave her my whole medical history and she said that I most likely have Bipolar depression because when someone that is bipolar takes antidepressants they get exactly what I got - wild mood swings.
    I do not want to be bipolar. My grandmother was and I have seen the negatives that it has on people and have experienced what it does to kids who cannot comprehend what a mental illness is much less understand that is why grandma just blew up. I don't want to be like that. I loved my grandmother (she died two years ago) but I also had to walk around her like it was a minefield. No matter how careful I was I would still trigger an explosion at times. I don't want that. The psychiatrist gave me some mood stabilizers to see if that helps, but I don't want to be bipolar at all.

2. Husky

Husky Well-Known Member

Hi Deathplease, Thank you for your message and I hope the mood stabilisers help you too. You'd be surprised how many people with the right guidance and proper medication live normal lives even though they suffer from bipolar. They do have their up periods and down periods as well but we all do and sometimes the degree just varies. If you do have bipolar and that's if you do have it, it's by no means the end of the world. I quote this from the Black Dog Institute, "With the right treatment, the vast majority of people with bipolar disorder are able to live normal and productive lives." Here's a link to this website too which you may find useful:

http://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/public/bipolardisorder/bipolardisorderexplained/

It's sad what happened to your grandmother and I'm sorry for what happened. However, it doesn't mean it's going to happen to every bipolar person or anyone from any walk of life. Bipolar Disorder is just a label with a stigma that can be peeled off but it does depend on the person's mentality with managing such a condition and that's so much of the battle.

I hope that you have a great day. Husky

3. I have been on the mood stabilizer for just over a week and they have really helped. For a while my moods have been mostly just happy (not manic) I think it is because I was flying from not having wild mood swings. Now however I am able to feel other things too but I am not depressed like I was. I still have to work out trauma and now I feel like I can do that.

4. Husky

Husky Well-Known Member

Hi Deathplease, I'm very pleased that the mood stabiliser which you are taking is really helping. I'm also glad that your moods have been happy and composed, and you've found that your moods haven't fluctuated as much. It sounds like you're managing everything well at the moment, and it's great that you have such a positive attitude to overcoming your trauma which I'm sure you will conquer. Thank you for the update and fantastic news. Take care, Husky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.