• IMPORTANT: Covid-19 can only be discussed on this site in terms of SUPPORT. There is a covid-19 support forum and a covid-19 support chat for people needing support around this topic. There is a thread in Forum News and Announcements explaining this further. Please read it.

just general mouning of random people places or things

kdm

SF Supporter
Luis Alvarez, Champion of 9/11 Responders, Dies at 53 {THANKYOU Louis my you rest in peace }

AADBRL7.jpg
Luis G. Alvarez, a former New York City detective who pleaded with Congress this month to extend health benefits to police officers, firefighters and other emergency workers who responded to the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, died on Saturday in a hospice in Rockville Centre, N.Y. He was 53

His family announced his death in a post on Facebook. The cause was complications of colorectal cancer, for which Mr. Alvarez received a diagnosis in 2016. The disease was linked to the three months he had spent at the site of the toppled World Trade Center towers in Lower Manhattan, searching for survivors and for remains of his fellow officers on nearby rooftops and in the toxic rubble at ground zero.

Mr. Alvarez, the father of three sons, including two teenagers, delivered a raspy appeal before a House Judiciary subcommittee in Washington on June 11 to replenish the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund.
He appeared alongside Jon Stewart, the former host of “The Daily Show,” who delivered a passionate call for justice on behalf of the victims.
The refunding bill passed the full committee unanimously, and Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the Republican majority leader, agreed to allow the legislation to go to a floor vote in August.
“You need to be covered,” Mr. Alvarez said in an interview on Fox News a week after his testimony. “I’m lucky to have the health care that I’ve got, but there are guys out there who don’t have it. In terms of going through the stress of fighting cancer, they’re also fighting the financial stress of the health care.”
He added: “I’m no one special, and I did what all the other guys did. Now we are paying the price for it.” He continued:
“I got sick 16 years after the fact. And there’s workers out there who say, ‘This isn’t going to happen to me. I’m okay. The time has passed.’ The time doesn’t —— is not going to pass.”
Before the House committee Mr. Alvarez said: “I will not stand by and watch as my friends with cancer from 9/11 like me are valued less than anyone else because of when they get sick. You made me come here the day before my 69th round of chemo. I’m going to make sure that you never forget to take care of the 9/11 responders.”
The next day, though, he was too disoriented to receive treatment. Tests determined that his liver was failing. Within a week, he was admitted to a hospice in Rockville Centre, on Long Island.
Luis Gustavo Alvarez was born in October 1965 in Queens. After graduating in 1983 from Monsignor McClancy Memorial High School in the East Elmhurst neighborhood, he served in the Marines and studied at City College of the City University of New York. He joined the New York Police Department in 1990.
Initially assigned to the 108th Precinct in Long Island City, Queens, in 1993, he was transferred to the Narcotics Division and promoted to detective two years later. After working undercover as a detective first grade, he sought a less stressful assignment and, in 2004, volunteered for the Bomb Squad.
Mr. Alvarez was recognized five times for excellent police work. He retired on a disability in 2010. He later worked for the Department of Homeland Security in a less demanding job, retiring when his illness became too debilitating.
His survivors include his mother, Aida; his father, Felipe; his wife, Alaine Parker Alvarez; his sons, David, Tyler and Benjamin; his sister, Aida Lugo; and his brothers, Fernando and Phil.
The $7.3 billion September 11th Victim Compensation Fund was opened to emergency responders and their families by the federal government in 2011 to compensate for deaths and illnesses related to toxic exposure from the terrorist-related aircraft crashes of Sept. 11, 2001, and the cleanup during the immediate aftermath.
The fund is projected to be depleted at the end of 2020.
“We will reach the point soon, most likely this year,” Senator Chuck Schumer of New York said this month, “when more will have died from 9/11-related illnesses than on 9/11 itself.”
So far, about 21,000 claimants have received some $5 billion. An additional 19,000 or so claims are pending.
To redeem new claims and prevent reductions in prior ones, the House Judiciary Committee endorsed the bill sponsored by Representatives Peter T. King, Republican of Long Island, and Carolyn Maloney, Democrat of Manhattan, to extend the fund for decades. The full House is expected to do so next month.
“I did not want to be anywhere else but ground zero when I was there,” Mr. Alvarez told Congress. He added, though: “Now the 9/11 illnesses have taken many of us, and we are all worried about our children, our spouses and our families and what happens if we are not here.”
On June 26, when emergency medical workers met with Mr. McConnell, one man clasped the senator’s hand; when that man, John Feal, a demolition supervisor who lost part of his foot in an accident at ground zero, released his grip, the senator was holding Mr. Alvarez’s New York City police badge.
“For a New York City police officer to give up his badge, that’s like somebody donating an organ,” Mr. Feal later told CNN, “and Luis wanted the Senate majority leader to understand the importance of this, and to be reminded that people are sick and dying.”

kdm

SF Supporter
today one of the great character actors passed away {in my opinion}

Laugh-in' comedic actor Arte Johnson dies at 90 {rest in peace and thankyou for all the laughs growing up} :)

Actor Arte Johnson, who won an Emmy for comedy sketch work on the television show "Laugh-In," has died early Wednesday in Los Angeles. He was 90.

Johnson died of heart failure following a three-year battle with bladder and prostate cancer, family representative Harlan Boll said. No services have been planned, but his ashes will be spread in a private ceremony.

Johnson became known for his catchphrase "Verrry interesting" on "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In." The Michigan native won an Emmy in 1969 and was nominated two more times through his work on the hit show.

One of his characters was Wolfgang, a cigarette-smoking German soldier who thought World War II was still going on.

Johnson's other television appearances include "Bewitched," ''The Partridge Family," ''Lost in Space," ''Murder, She Wrote" and "The Donna Reed Show." He also nabbed roles in films as Dracula's sidekick in "Love at First Bite" and "The President's Analyst" as a federal agent.

Johnson appeared on several game shows such as "The Gong Show," ''The Match Game" and "Wheel of Fortune." He narrated more than 80 audiobooks and did voiceover work for "The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo," ''Justice League Unlimited" and "DuckTales."

In 1954, Johnson began performing in several New York nightclubs. He landed his first job in the industry when he was cast in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes," and retired from acting in 2006.

Johnson was a non-Hodgkins lymphoma survivor after being diagnosed then successfully treated in 1997.

kdm

SF Supporter
African lion dies at Pittsburgh Zoo :{

AAE84H8.jpg
An African lion who suffered for years from seizures has died at the Pittsburgh Zoo.

Ten-year-old Razi suffered a grand mal seizure on Sunday and fell in his exhibit, breaking his jaw, zoo officials said Wednesday.

“Both veterinary and keeper staff determined that it was not in Razi’s best interest to attempt the difficult surgery needed,” zoo spokeswoman Tracy Gray said.

Officials also said Razi’s post-surgical “quality of life” would have been diminished given his increasing number of seizures.

“It is a sad day for all of us,” said Barbara Baker, zoo president and CEO. “Our animals are like members of our family and losing a family member is tough. Razi was a magnificent animal, and will also be missed by our visitors who developed a bond with him and his brother Ajani.”

Razi was first diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy after experiencing a seizure in spring 2013, a year after he arrived at the zoo with his brother Ajani

kdm

SF Supporter
Trudy, believed the oldest gorilla in captivity, dies at 63
AAESzhn.jpg
Zoo spokeswoman Susan Altrui said zookeepers found Trudy dead when they checked on her Wednesday morning.
Altrui says Trudy was the oldest gorilla in the records of zoos accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, an international accrediting organization. Altrui says it's possible but highly unlikely non-accredited zoos have older gorillas.
Trudy came to the Little Rock Zoo from Buffalo in 1988 with a male gorilla, Ollie, on a breeding loan.
Syd Tanner, one of her former keepers, called her the "boss lady" of her all-male group.
Trudy was also one of the last gorillas captured in the wild. Today, North American gorillas are born in zoos.

kdm

SF Supporter
Daughters' funny obit honors dad 'who died in his recliner as he had threatened to

To honor their father's love of cracking jokes, two sisters wrote a humorous obituary for him after he unexpectedly died.

AAEWVwT.jpg R.I.P (but keep smiling and cracking jokes )
download.jpg
The obituary published online Thursday in The Telegraph, a daily newspaper in Nashua, New Hampshire, began by saying that Thomas WJ Mulligan died "at home in his recliner as he had threatened to for years."

"He was a kid from Brooklyn who grew up to live the American Dream of marriage, a career, a house in the suburbs and two pain in the a-- kids," it continued.

Amy Mulligan-Schiripo told WMUR that she came up with the idea for the obituary with her sister, Kim Mulligan. She described their father as a "funny guy" who "was the first person to make a joke, even if the timing was off."

"And he loved to do things that would make us uncomfortable," she told the outlet.

In the tribute, the daughters described their father as a do-it-yourselfer "with no less than five unfinished projects at any time."

"He never missed the opportunity to make an inappropriate joke or take a cigarette break. He was an exceptional office Santa," it read. "His love of Doctor Who was only surpassed by his love of not wearing pants at home. He often combined these two interests."

Mulligan worked at a medical clinic for 20 years, his daughters wrote, adding that "he was clearly indispensable but his exact position remains a mystery."

He was also remembered for caring for his wife, Iris, who has advanced dementia.

"He will be remembered by all who knew him, Except Iris of course. Everyone else though," it stated.

Kim Mulligan told WMUR that their father would have loved the tribute.

"He would be so tickled that everybody is talking about him and that his daughters made this happen. He would just think it was so funny," she said.

kdm

SF Supporter
sorry about this but i need to let it out and all my leeches are at he dycleaners this is not open for discussion so please if your thinking of asking don't 18021345-3d-man-businessman-and-a-big-question-mark-on-white.jpg today i mourn the loss of one of our own did they pass way NO did they fell the need to ride away yes i mourn that just the same get well be well stay well where ever your feet might be there will allways be a empty place in my heart and soul as there just are not enough good souls around and yours is one of the best i ever met i thankyou for the time we shared i will remember it untill i draw my final breath 218aed9e4541f6279fa74674abe26023.jpg this is how i know and think of you what that message says fare the well my friend i salute you

kdm

SF Supporter
Broadway Star Laurel Griggs Suffered Asthma Attack Before She Died at Age 13

Broadway actress Laurel Griggs suffered an asthma attack just before she died last week at age 13, her grandfather says.

BBWwgR4.jpg

David Rivlin revealed the news on Facebook.
"It's with heavy heart that I have to share some very sad news. My beautiful and talented granddaughter, Laurel Griggs, has passed away suddenly from a massive asthma attack," he wrote. "Mount Sinai was valiant in trying to save her but now she's with the angels."
"The world lost a real princess who only wanted to make the future happy for all," he said. "Acting was just a childhood dream come true and she had big plans for the future."
Laurel died on November 5. The teen was laid to rest at a funeral in New York on Friday and her family has planned a remembrance service to celebrate her life for Sunday.
Laurel made her Broadway debut in 2012 at age 6, playing Ivanka in the musical Once alongside actor Steve Kazee. She performed the role until 2015, the longest time an actress has played the part. She also played Polly in the Tennesee Williams play Cat on a Hot Tin Roof on Broadway in 2013 alongside Scarlett Johansson.
Laurel also did some onscreen acting work. She starred in commercials and provided the voice of several characters on the popular Nickelodeon children's animated series Bubble Guppies. She also starred in the 2016 movie Café Society with Steve Carell, Jesse Eisenberg and Kristen Stewart and had a couple of uncredited parts on Saturday Night Live in 2017.
Lucas Papaelias, another one of Laurel's Once co-stars, paid tribute to the teen on Instagram on Sunday.
"My @oncemusical family tragically lost one of our youngest members this past week," he wrote. "We are all heartbroken & devastated. Sending love and my deepest condolences to the family of @laurelgriggs_ who played the role of Ivanka on Broadway. we will never forget this sweet, talented young soul."

kdm

SF Supporter
Vera Clemente, widow of Roberto Clemente, dies

Vera Clemente, the widow of Roberto Clemente and a goodwill ambassador for the Major League Baseball, has died at 78, the Pittsburgh Pirates confirm.

BBWRXHU.jpg
She died in San Juan, Puerto Rico. The Pittsburgh Pirates tweeted on Nov. 1 that she had been hospitalized and was in "delicate health.

We are deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Vera Clemente, the widow of the great Roberto Clemente and a cherished member of the Pittsburgh Pirates and Major League Baseball family.
“Vera epitomized grace, dignity and strength in the wake of heartbreaking tragedy and loss. Following Roberto’s passing, Vera raised their three sons into outstanding men, while also working tirelessly to ensure her and her husband’s shared vision of compassion, service and love of others lived on forever.
“Vera was an amazing ambassador for the Pirates organization, our city, the game of baseball and their beloved Puerto Rico. It is with very heavy hearts that we send our condolences to Roberto Jr., Luis, Enrique and the entire Clemente family. May they find comfort in knowing that Vera and Roberto are together once again.” Pittsburgh Pirates owner Bob Nutting said in a statement that was released Saturday evening.
The official Pirates twitter account tweeted about her death in addition to the statement.
The official Spanish Major League Baseball account tweeted out condolences.
Translated, the tweet reads:
"Vera Cristina Zabala de Clemente, widow of Roberto Clemente, has died today. We regret the great loss of the Clemente family."
The governor of Puerto Rico also tweeted, expressing pain over her death.
Translated the tweet reads:
"I join the pain of the family of Mrs. Vera Cristina Zabala, widow of our star, Roberto Clemente. Vera worked to ensure that Clemente's legacy will last, pride of all Puerto Ricans. Rest in peace."

most of you will have no idea who this person is or her husband but living my whole life just out side of pittsburgh the city her husband played baseball for i grew up in awe of her husband he was and to me still is one of the greatest to ever play the game of baseball and allso one of the kindest most careing people

Clemente was involved in charity work in Latin American and Caribbean countries during the off-seasons, often delivering baseball equipment and food to those in need. On December 31, 1972, he died in a plane crash while en route to deliver aid to earthquake victims in Nicaragua. He was 38 years old

this plane was unsafe but it would not stop him from going as the cause to help the people was bigger than the risk to himself
well no one knows for sure but it is believed that the plane crashed into the ocean nothing was ever recovered =no wreckage or body found

so it saddens me with the loss of his wife as i fell clementes legacy /story passes away along with her passing

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...bers-vera-clemente/ar-BBWS5gn?ocid=spartandhp

sure not a happy day in this campers life :(

Last edited:

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$255.00
Goal
$255.00