Let's be honest about suicide attempts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most suicide attempts are not sincere and therefore fail. Based on what I read on sites such as this, most people who "attempt" suicide have not thoroughly and carefully researched the topic and are clueless as to reliable and relatively painless methods of suicide. Their attempts are not really intended to succeed; they are the proverbial "cry for help".

When a person threatens suicide repeatedly over a prolonged period, or makes numerous failed attempts it is clear that they are not really intent on killing themselves. They are desperate for relief from pain, but don't really want to die. This is especially obvious when the person broadcasts announcements as to their impending "attempt". Obviously, they want to be rescued. Such announcements reduce the possibility of success and that is, in fact, exactly their purpose.

I feel suicidal most of the time. However, I have never made an "attempt". If I was to do it, I would do it, not attempt it.

It is very sad that so many people hurt so bad that only death seems to offer relief. I count myself amongst those people. My heart goes out to all those who have posted their agony here.

At the same time I must confess to annoyance at the stupidity I see here. Most so-called suicide attempts consists of gobbling bottles of pills with no idea what the effect will be! This seems amazingly stupid to me. It usually won't kill you, but may make you very sick and often leads to a very unpleasant hospital visit. According to the research I've done, mega doses of many medications can cause permanent and painful organ damage. Gobbling pills while having no idea of the effect, is asking for more pain. It's just plain stupid.

I often have fantasies of killing myself. Often, it is the most comforting thought I have. After years of "treatment" (medications, therapy, hospitalization) I continue to suffer excruciating emotional pain 24/7 and find myself wishing for death. In my fantasy, I've planned the whole thing out and chosen a method that is highly reliable and I don't tell anyone about it ahead of time. However, I doubt I will actually do it since I am a coward.

I am posting under "Soap Box" rather than "Suicide" because I don't think my thoughts are very helpful to suicidal people, but I have become so irritated by the stupidity I read here every day that I had to get it off my chest. Thanks for listening.

RainbowChaser

No offence, but if you're "so irritated by the stupidity [you] read here every day that [you] had to get it off [your] chest" then you obviously have very little sympathy for the people here, no matter what the rest of your post says.

Ignored

Staff Alumni
Just because you've put this thread into Soapbox does not give you the right to be offensive to people by calling them stupid. From my experience I would say that you are right about one thing... there is often an ambiguity when making suicide attempts, because most people do have lingering doubts. I read somewhere once that to be suicidal is more about not caring if you live or die, and I would say shovelling tonnes of pills down one's throat certainly fits that description. I don't think it makes people stupid, only shows that they are desperate to end their emotional pain and that certainly isn't stupid now is it?! Just because you, by your own admission, are too cowardly to commit to a plan doesn't mean that people here are not serious in their attempts. You can't judge everyone by your beliefs or actions.

meagainstme

it was abit uncomfortable reading your post being amongst the people who have ''gobbled bottles of pills'' . yes i was young at the time, and at the time i thought i would die and sincerely wanted to.

im not sure if you wanted to offend or not. but you should probably be abit more cautious when saying such things on a forum like this.

Isa

Just a thought, we come here for support to live, not to die. So whether people suceed or not does not affect the fact that they are so out of control that they consider it OR need help so desperately that they 'cry for help'

Your opinion is irrelevant, sucess is irrelevant, this site is to support the people, not the deaths.

Also, no one should be here to judge the other members, people come here for support not judgement, its offered unconditionally (mostly) and should be reciprocated.

Id say 99% of people on this site dont want to die, they want the pain to stop, otherwise they wouldnt keep coming back after they find out we dont share methods

But that doesnt mean that people from this site dont kill themselves out of desperation

That doesnt mean their feelings are invalid

Your theory seems to punish people for not killing themselves, thats not a helpful message to give out. Its a utterly rubbish thing to say actually, and thats putting it mildly.

I personally am glad every day I see people posting that they feel like shit because its another day they survived and I wouldnt wish death on almost any of the people on this site..

Surviving is not a failing, it takes courage and support.

Last edited by a moderator:
i agree with you, livingdeath. Only i have found myself recently thinking of just taking my chance with pills, trains, jumping, anything, anything to get out sooner. Though i know it's stupid and unlikely to work, and am leaving a mess behind is why i don't but the thought's there. Dying is turning out a longer process than i'd like.

i don't understand why people are taking such offense tbh but...whatever.

You people don't listen very well. I didn't say people should kill themselves or that I want them to.

Here is my own experience with someone's "attempt":

About a year ago I was corresponding with a woman in Australia (I'm in California) whom I met on one of these sites. We were chatting online and as we "talked" she started telling me that she was swallowing pills and drinking booze in an attempt to kill herself. I tried my damndest to get her to stop, but she wouldn't respond. I knew that her life was probably not in danger and that she would probably just make herself sick, as with most suicide attempts. But I couldn't be sure -- there was a small chance she knew what she was doing and had indeed ingested a lethal dose of something. She would not tell me her last name or phone # or any other info by which she could be identified. While I was "chatting" with her I was visiting other websites, frantically trying to at least track down the town where she lived. Finally she gave me the phone # of a friend of hers who lived nearby. I called the friend (California to Australia) who, fortunately, answered her phone, and I asked her to call an ambulance. The suicidal woman was dragged to the hospital and forced to stay for 3 days. And she later said she was annoyed at me because the cops came to her house along with the ambulance!

OF COURSE she didn't really want to die. OF COURSE she told me about it because she wanted to be rescued. And of course, she just shovelled pills down with no clue as to the likely outcome. But suppose she had gotten ahold of some real poison, or was bleeding to death? I would have saved her life. I was her best friend in her darkest hour. So don't go telling me I am not sympathic and supportive. Did any of you look at my posts to White Dove before making that accusation against me. Did you?

You are all mad at me because I said most suicide attempts are not sincere and that swallowing pills without knowledge of their effects is dumb. It does not logically follow that I am therefore unsympathetic to pain and suffering of people who do that. You are all absolutely wrong about me.

Isa

Well i didnt say you were unsympathetic or unsupportive, I said what you said was a nasty thing to say, which I believe it to be and Im entitled to my opinion

What I wrote supported what you said, most attempts are not meant to cause death, just escape. But I said I didnt agree with how you said it, and I didnt agree that you should get all pissy at people (but your entitled to its just i dont agree).

So I doubt your rant was at me but thought id reply because you said 'you are all mad at me' and 'you people dont listen very well'.

If I were you Id give this thread up, youve talked about your feelings, some people agreed and others didnt, but its upsetting for people who are suicidal the things you have discussed here.

Theres a trigger factor and I doubt you want anyone to be hurt by your views however irritated you are.

Abacus21

Staff Alumni
Insulting people won't get you very far on this forum, livingdeath.

If you have a problem with any member here, then please come to one of the staff, or post in the Letters to Management forum - trying to single members out in threads will just make them be locked, edited or deleted.

Seeing as this thread isn't going to go anywhere, and it will, at this rate, just turn into flaming, I'm locking this thread.

If anyone has any problems with this decision, please don't hesistate to PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$165.00
Goal
$255.00