Living With Negative Influences

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Forgotten_Man, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

Recently I have noticed that my roommate is a very negative influence in my life. Not because he is a bad person. It is because he is so needy, clingy and dependent. He feels he must do everything with me. Yesterday I had some errands to run. When I attempted to take off without him he gave me the mopey guilt trip he always gives me when I exclude him. I know he is a negative influence when I don't do things because he might want to follow. I struggle to be out in public with him because he is depressed too. However, as far as I can tell he is not trying to get better. So his depression oozes out onto me killing my backbreaking work to get over my depression and social anxiety.

I have a year lease on an apartment with him. Any advice on how I can survive it? I cannot afford to break my lease.

2. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

Hi FM.....you are too kind and need to take care of yourself first.....
    sounds like you need to do some assertiveness training.....I'm currently doing that with my therapist and it works....
    if you can't get therapy or training then reading books on the subject helps...
    saying something simple like
    "I'm sorry I can't take you today I have some business I have to take care of "
    You have a right to some privacy...
    It takes practice but well worth the effort...:smile::hiya:

3. Forgotten_Man

So much stuff takes practice... >.> how much practice... too much to practice :depressed:

4. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

5. Forgotten_Man

:depressed: yes I do... I could only draw them once when he farted on my bed.

6. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

:rofl: :lolabove: :hysterical:

7. Forgotten_Man

It would not have been so bad if it wasn't where my pillow was supposed to be at.

8. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

You need to talk to him about this. Explain to him that although you are both depressed and want to help each other you are fearful you could be making each other worse and maybe you need to learn how to be independant of one an other... and then see what he thinks to the whole thing.
    Tell him being dependant on anybody or anything is NOT healthy in the slightest.

9. Forgotten_Man

>.> talking that one thing I am not very good at when it comes to dealing with people I live with.

10. loser

loser Well-Known Member

This is just suggestion but when I want avoid someone like that who is put pushy and demanding I tell them that sometimes I need to be very quiet and alone and not to take it personally.
    You do need to do something because he is too intrusive to put it mildly.
    Good luck!

11. Forgotten_Man

:lol!: Don't I know he is intrusive. I have been able to train him to leave me alone when my door is closed so that is a plus.

12. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

:stars: a great plus FM....well done
    at least it will keep him off your bed....:lol!:

13. Forgotten_Man

I keep him from expelling gas onto my bed... not off it though.

14. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

:lolabove: :hysterical:

15. Forgotten_Man

:lol!: at least I said off... not out.a

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.