• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Long term amitriptyline

#2
i have been on it for more than two years. That actually makes it harder to tell if I've felt side effects. I've also been on and off other meds in the while too. My amitriptyline was originally ordered for migraines. It just so happens that is works for psych reasons too. How long have you been on it? What side effects do you feel you're experiencing? I could tell you better if I know what you're dealing with. Feel free to message me and I will get back to you within 1-2 days. Be safe and thank you for asking this question.
 

Jezah81

Well-Known Member
#4
i have been on it for more than two years. That actually makes it harder to tell if I've felt side effects. I've also been on and off other meds in the while too. My amitriptyline was originally ordered for migraines. It just so happens that is works for psych reasons too. How long have you been on it? What side effects do you feel you're experiencing? I could tell you better if I know what you're dealing with. Feel free to message me and I will get back to you within 1-2 days. Be safe and thank you for asking this question.
I was on it for 4 years and I feel as though I ended up with memory loss. I can remember basic things like movies I've watched and birthday parties I've gone to etc... I tried going back on it last week but the next day I felt lethargic , zombie like and not motivated to do anything. I suffer from joint pain depression and insomnia which is why the Dr prescribed it to me
 

TragicReality

I wish I could turn back time
SF Supporter
#5
It was the first med I tried when I was about 21 years old. I found it helped me sleep well as I was working night shifts. I tried everything practically from a to z after stopping it back then. Nothing else helped me as much as amitriptyline. I've been on it for a long time again. I don't find side effects other than dry mouth and dry eyes. It can cause wieght gain but never significant. Because i have a hard time sleeping I'll stay on it. It's not prescribed much anymore I think, for whatever reasons. To me it's no worse as side effects than other antidepressants. Best to you whatever you decide. It is somewhat helpful for pain so there's that benefit too.
 
#6
Four years is a decent time line. About three or four years ago i started to experience "Brain Fog." Words I know wouldn't come out, memory issues, and still have no idea what the root of it was. I felt like i became a slow learner, and there is no way out. I am ALWAYS tired despite sleep apnea treatment, migraine meds and psych meds. On that note I don't believe that I've helped you at all. i'm sorry
 

MisterBGone

~\_✅`,')
SF Supporter
#7
Four years is a decent time line. About three or four years ago i started to experience "Brain Fog." Words I know wouldn't come out, memory issues, and still have no idea what the root of it was. I felt like i became a slow learner, and there is no way out. I am ALWAYS tired despite sleep apnea treatment, migraine meds and psych meds. On that note I don't believe that I've helped you at all. i'm sorry
I hope you can speak with your doctor about the disruption in cognitive functioning you are experiencing. Maybe there is something they can do with your regimen?

I've heard, but don't know for a fact, that nortriptyline is a newer drug than amitriptyline - & so you might experience fewer negative/side effects as a result. However, it may not work as well. And that is something that your prescriber is probably (hopefully) well aware of.

So it could be something of use to bring up, or at least ask about the next time you see them. Also always at play is what other meds you happen to be on and how they come into play, or interact with what you've got. Sometimes, they've got to prioritize: & then pick and choose... Lucky us!
 

MisterBGone

~\_✅`,')
SF Supporter
#8
I was on it for 4 years and I feel as though I ended up with memory loss. I can remember basic things like movies I've watched and birthday parties I've gone to etc... I tried going back on it last week but the next day I felt lethargic , zombie like and not motivated to do anything. I suffer from joint pain depression and insomnia which is why the Dr prescribed it to me
Hoping that they can come up with a very good and decent recipe or adjustment in dosage for you. And that things can resume in a positive direction going forward. Sometimes when we return to a medication after being off it for a prolonged period, we may find that it is not quite the same. I don't know if it's something in our brain chemistry that's changed, but I've found it to be the case. It's almost like a different drug. But maybe that changes if you stick with it & persevere? I did not...
 

Jezah81

Well-Known Member
#9
Thanks to everyone who responded. I'm just over the whole I do or don't I'm damned bullshit. It seems like I'll have to suffer one way or another which adds to the depression and wanting to end my life. I'm finding it hard to care anymore, with every day that passes with my joint pain, unable to enjoy my past time and walks . Unable to enjoy sex , my mind racing at work, unable to sleep properly and waking up tired and not looking forward to the day ahead. I'm over it all, and I can't see myself lasting another few years months and definitely decades of this hell on earth .
 

iloverachel

No longer suicidal after 8 years of depression
#10
Thanks to everyone who responded. I'm just over the whole I do or don't I'm damned bullshit. It seems like I'll have to suffer one way or another which adds to the depression and wanting to end my life. I'm finding it hard to care anymore, with every day that passes with my joint pain, unable to enjoy my past time and walks . Unable to enjoy sex , my mind racing at work, unable to sleep properly and waking up tired and not looking forward to the day ahead. I'm over it all, and I can't see myself lasting another few years months and definitely decades of this hell on earth .
life sucks
 
#12
Anyone here been on amitriptyline long term like a few years or decades
i know this is many months past the original posting, however i do have over 20yrs experience with this medication, and i hope it helps in some way.

After a few yrs of trials n horrible errors to find something, i was put on amitriptyline due to my nerve pain type of migraines and fibro.. which is also a nerve pain. i was told it was designed as a depression medication, but Drs learned the patients were still depressed; however, their pain was diminished and they sept better. It got rid of 4 narcotic meds that made it too difficult for me to function and take care of a toddler, a preschooler, and a grade school child let alone drive. i was having some pretty bad side effects after about 10 yrs on it, so my dr switched me to nortriptyline. Same meds without the side effects. i'm still on it and it's been over 20 yrs. Fibro is managed and i rarely have a migraine... unless i forgot to take it and then the pain slams me out of nowhere.

After barely surviving COVID, my fibro and tinnitus became extremely severe and unbearable, so they added a small dosage of gabapentin to just piggyback the nortriptyline and give it a "boost". It has helped tremendously with the fibro body pain.

Just to add... my tinnitus is not treated by these meds and they do NOT help me to sleep better.
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top