Made the call

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Ljt, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ljt

Ljt Well-Known Member

Today I took a decision to call a wellbeing helpline and I spoke to a councillor.
    I have never called one of these helplines but it's through my work so I thought I should give it a go as nothing is getting better with just the medication.

I always thought that I could deal with all my troubles as best I can to myself. I can't sleep, can't think straight and getting stressed out over very minor things and constantly depressed.

I was on the phone to the councillor for around an hour and I am to call back again next week. I don't know how it went as I was asked loads of questions like "why do I feel like that?" And " how can you change your feelings?" I couldn't answer them and felt like I was waffling on. I think the councillor thinks I am looking for attention or something.
    I came of the phone feeling that I was a waste of time. I know it was only the first call and it won't change overnight.

Has anyone else felt like this after counselling or is it maybe just not for me?
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Good for you Ljt for reaching out for support No the councilor will not think you are attention seeking councilor will know you are suffering and are reaching out for help. I do hope you call again next week ok First call is always the hardest and we always self guess ourselves after doing it but do n't do that ok YOu did good.
  3. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

LJT, it's good that you took the step. Hopefully, your are on the road of recovery and this help you in your recovery process. Fingers crossed. Well done, virtual pat on the back.
  4. SplinterStar

SplinterStar Active Member

hotlines are ok, like patch jobs until you can get the real deal, or a safer coping mechanism.
  5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Well done for taking the leap and making the call. I'm sure the counsellor didn't think you were a waste of time. They ask those questions to try and encourage you to explore your feelings and for them to get a feel of what state of mind you are in.
    Definitely ring back again next week, the first time is always awkward as you get used to it, you should feel more at ease talking about your problems. I agree that medication on it's own isn't enough a lot of the time, good luck next time and do not worry if you can't answer the questions, just keep talking, they're well trained. Best of luck :)
  6. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Counselling can be tough going sometimes and can sometimes leave you feeling worse before you start to feel better as you have to bring up some deep seated emotions that you have managed to store at the back of your mind that you are forced to confront. Give it time and things will start to change for the better.

Well done though for being brave enough to call the helpline. That takes some balls so good on you!
  7. snogo

snogo Well-Known Member

I did call such a helpline once. It didn't work out for me as the person told me firmly that he wanted to end the conversation after listening to what I had to say. There wasn't any proper explanation (not in a manner that I could easily understand) so I ended the call feeling worse about myself and the whole thing.

Having shared this, I would still encourage you to call or find a professional who can help. You did great - it was definitely not easy to move oneself to make that first call.

Keep on posting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.