Managing impulsive behaviours??

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Butterfly, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Does anyone have any good tips or know any good resources on managing impulsive behaviours? I find this a massive problem for me as I have poor impulse control. My latest impulsiveness has meant that I have blown £600 in two days because I could not distract myself from spending money on stuff I didn't need. Other times this can be other random things, like running into walls or taking impulsive overdoses. Any resources or info would be appreciated as I would really like to learn how to control my impulses better :)
  2. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

Ack! 600?!!? Try buying a car for 21000 while you were manic. It was insane.

Unfortunately, I know of no ways to moderate impulse control. So sorry.
  3. merlinrune

merlinrune Member

We all suffer from those impulsive behaviors. I try to change directions of thought and talk myself out of it many times. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
  4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

what was told to me is to walk away from what you want to buy go into several different stores and i f the impulse goes then you really do not need the item I also make sure i have someone shopping with me that can drag me away from the store until i can think more clearly
  5. silent_chaos

silent_chaos Well-Known Member

i know these impulses all to well. its so hard to fight, its like an itch you have to scratch! its not just a simple want its feel like a matter of life or death, like a drug. the only way ive been able to deal with these impulses is to give my money to a friend and she only gives me so much. even every now and then i would lie to get more money to blow, but she knows now and stands firm. if there is someone you trust with your money and is sensitive to your impulses. its an idea that works for me most of the time.
  6. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I have a payee. That's what they are there for. I get certain amounts of money each week. I have to manage it after I get it. And I have to send my bank statements in to my payee to show that I have spent the money appropriately.

If I were to manage my own money, I would have blown it long ago.
  7. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I just felt I had to have said items and no matter how much I tried and fiancé said no I went and bought the stuff online then went to the store to pick it up. The only thing I could do is give my bank card to my fiancé but I wouldn't be happy to do that as I tend need it when I'm at work either to buy lunch or pay for car parking and I'm not happy to carry cash in my bag as I don't have my own locker.
  8. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I used to be extremely impulsive. Tbh, no method really fixed it. I think it was medications that fixed the impulsiveness.It just seems to have disappeared. I would buy juicy couture stuff , not even for me, but for my sisters that I couldn't really afford, I would threaten my psychiatrist when I did not mean to, to the point the police were called. It was all impulsive behaviour. only suggestion would be when you see your psych to talk to him/her about this and ask their advice. :)
  9. thefatalfetus

thefatalfetus Member

what worries me is the part about impulsive overdoses. i know how that is, ive done it more than once, but please do be careful. i dont really know you but id be sad if anything happened to you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.