mania related?

Status
Not open for further replies.

feathers

i have only recently started experiencing what i believe to be full blown mania. i had an experience on Thursday that makes me wonder whether i should be worried. basically there was a situation where i found myself bleeding profusely and i mean i literally bled, in the operators words, more than a mugful of blood before i allowed the guy i was with at the time to call an ambulance. despite bleeding more than i had ever done so in my life i was perfectly assured that i would be fine and i think that my calm attitude convinced him that i would be fine as i managed to convince him not to call an ambulance for nearly an hour. it took until i collapsed nearly unconscious onto the floor vomiting that i would let him call for an ambulance. i had recovered from the faintness not long after and by the time the paramedics got there i was up and cleaning the blood up off the floor!
in the ambulance i was as calm and happy as could be, making jokes with the paramedics!

feathers

this attitude continued all night in the emergency room even when they told me i needed a blood transfusion and surgery, i just laughed about how it was a good thing i wasn't a Jehovah's witness! the guy i was with was Freaking out incredibly and i just didn't seem to be able to be scared at all despite the fact i was in a situation where i would have died without medical assistance and a blood transfusion. still in my period of elated mood i find it difficult even now to contemplate the situation i was in OR how dangerous it indeed was and i am just wondering if this could be mania related. just that i felt no matter how much i seemed to be bleeding that i would be absolutely fine and didn't feel much need to panic, just a need to make jokes to staff and calm the guy with me down - i was more concerned about him and how worried he was and how he was going to get home than i was concerned for myself lying bleeding half to death!

AlopexAngel

Chat Buddy
SF Supporter
I'm not sure what happened but calm definately does not describe anyone even closely manic let alone full blown mania. Had it been full blown mania your friend probably would have taken you to a hospital just for that. Sounds more like disassociative to me but I have no idea.

feathers

I only meant calm in terms of my reaction to the event. I'd been (and do get) extremely elated etc and I was just wondering in terms of the mania whether it caused me to believe I would just be fine in the face of clear personal danger?

I would not have described my mood as manic for that day I would have said it was hypomanic but the fact I seemed to be deluded as to my own mortality there confused me a bit?

Last edited by a moderator:

starryeyed

If it were self inflicted I would worry.
Did they give you something to calm you doen.
It could be you are distancing yourself from the situation by making a joke about it.

feathers

They didn't give me anything no.

I tend to thrive in extremely dramatic situations... This might be more of a borderline trait type of thing than a manic thing. I was just curious as this whole psychology business fascinates me also!

feathers

I'm seeing one, I'm just curious.

If we can't muse about ourselves and theorise on this forum then what can we do?

Could be. I've never had that reaction but mania can produce feelings of euphoria and a sense of invinciblity.
That's kind of along the lines I was thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$130.00
Goal
$255.00