• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Medication long term

snails

Useless currently
#1
Wondering what others think of this? I've been really bad at stopping medication in the past over and over 10-20 yrs. I feel better, am rubbish at dealing with picking it up and taking it and also don't need the expense. But after what I'm experiencing now and how it has become progressively worse over the years I'm not sure I ever want to come off medication again. I'm getting worse even on the current medication but I know its still stopping some of the symptoms.
I realise it's a q for my Dr's down the line but is there a good reason why people come off the meds or is it OK to continue forever if it works. Talking ssris and tetracyclic.
 

LumberJack

Huggy Bear 🐻 u r warned!
SF Supporter
#2
I have been on Wellbutrin (bupropion) for over 20 years. My depression is episodic. I have dysthymia most of the time, but every so often my symptoms spike to the level of severe depression. My psychiatrist at the time of my third episode said that I should be on medication for life because I had 3 episodes.

That was not what I wanted to hear. However I do know the medication helps. I used to have a big goal of finally getting off meds, but now I have sort of accepted that it’s probably going to be for life in my case. I have tried to unilaterally taper, meaning that I did it without talking to my psychiatrist. That didn’t go well, to say the least. I had cut back on one by two thirds, and after 3 days, my inside experience was nothing short of torture. Incidentally the med in question has a 72 hour half life, so the timing there seems pretty telling.
 

snails

Useless currently
#3
I have been on Wellbutrin (bupropion) for over 20 years. My depression is episodic. I have dysthymia most of the time, but every so often my symptoms spike to the level of severe depression. My psychiatrist at the time of my third episode said that I should be on medication for life because I had 3 episodes.

That was not what I wanted to hear. However I do know the medication helps. I used to have a big goal of finally getting off meds, but now I have sort of accepted that it’s probably going to be for life in my case. I have tried to unilaterally taper, meaning that I did it without talking to my psychiatrist. That didn’t go well, to say the least. I had cut back on one by two thirds, and after 3 days, my inside experience was nothing short of torture. Incidentally the med in question has a 72 hour half life, so the timing there seems pretty telling.
Thanks for your reply. Yeah I think this is my 6th time with lots of times in between where I definitely should have sought help. If I find something that works this time I currently feel I'd be reluctant to mess with it but probably future me will reckon I'll be fine and run off ignoring the doctors..
What makes or made you want to come off it?
 
#4
i have known some people to have been on meds their entire life. Often it's a chemical our body doesn't produce, and we need it, So there is no reason why we shouldn't take it. Quite a lot like Thyroid meds replacing when the thyroid is removed or doesn't work. It's the same thing in my opinion.

i do understand the unwillingness to refill n take meds. The choice to not taking what your body needs is a form of sh. i have only recently learned that. Most of the time, i have to force myself to take my meds because i know i will be extremely miserable if i don't... and so will those around me. Life is difficult enough... i don't need to make it worse. Right now... this statement works for me.
 

Survivorist

Black sheep of my family....
#5
I was a drug addict, when young - that is a long time ago. I managed to get out - but ever since I live with a small dose of substitution (Tramadol). No hospital would take me to get off it - they would all say, do it yourself. But I need these two pills every day - and will until I die. Nothing can change that. It is just making me feel normal, active, more balanced. I am just afraid of one thing - if I must take one day medication against pain - lets say you have cancer, the doctor has to prescribe me a lot more than normal people. Well - they will do it, I am old enough and they do not care any longer. Nice day to all.
 

LumberJack

Huggy Bear 🐻 u r warned!
SF Supporter
#6
What makes or made you want to come off it?
Primarily my ego, although I would rather not admit that. I feel the stigma on mental illness sharply, and as a red blooded ’Mericun Man, I am supposed to not have feelings in the first place.

It’s also more than a little bit expensive. I’m taking 4 meds daily for my depression alone.

I have been worried about side effects over time, but I had an epiphany about the worry that my meds may increase my risk of dementia or other cognitive decline in a couple decades. The fact is that without these meds, I would die now. So I am definitely getting a benefit now. The potential for complications in the future is an unknown. I have professional experience and training in risk management, but I don’t need that to know that this is a risk that makes sense.
 

1Lefty

SF Supporter
#7
I've been on a variety of MH meds for 14 years, occasionally off of them by my own decision. The main reason is because of some side effects, one of the main ones is the feeling that I'm missing some of the dynamics of life. I think that in treating the lows of depression, or the anxiety and mixed manic symptoms, my thoughts and emotions are being compressed to a narrow range in the middle, so life is pretty much bland. I think there was more vibrancy in my life without the meds, but to be honest, there was also strong SI, and some incidents of pretty much bouncing off the walls. It could be pretty disorienting.

I'm still having problems accepting the idea that I have bipolar, or one of the other diagnosis, which may be part of why I resist the medications.
I'm not happy with the meds, but I think my long-term survival is more likely with them.

peace
:)
 

full

SF Supporter
#8
I am currently on a benzo for anxiety and opiate for chronic pain. Others meds I take on as needed basis and are not addictive as two above. Last year, after trying plenty of anti-depressants during past ten years or so, I was labeled with treatment resistant depression. I wish there was something that would help and would not mind being on it for the rest of my life if it worked.
 

Rocky Point

Well-Known Member
#9
I was on meds for many years. I've tried all kinds to treat depression and anxiety. After trying the latest meds and TMS with no success, I decided it was time for a change.
About 2 years ago I got off of all meds. While I'm not perfect in any way, I've felt much better off the meds than on. I could feel again. I've been more engaged with family and friends and the nasty side effects are gone. That being said, for the first time in two years I feel the walls of depression closing in. I've had a couple of events recently that have impacted me. l'm trying to work things out with communication, prayer and pushing myself to do things that I don't want to do. I haven't been completely successful and have had thoughts of ending it all or disappearing, but I will continue to plug along. Finally posting on this forum is helpful, as I can get my thoughts out in a safe place and receive encouragement. I'm happy for those of you for whom the meds work. For me there was no such success.
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top