Medication Question

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Ed., Oct 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed.

Ed. Well-Known Member

Not sure if correct subforum or not, I haven't posted on here in a while.

I've been on Fluoxetine (aka Prozac) for the past 4 months or so, I've been putting it off for years and overall I'm glad I'm giving it a try.

However I've found it can make me very lethargic. Sometimes to the point I simply must lay down for a few hours.

This is really a problem since I'm struggling to be motivated to improve my current job and living situation anyway, and the medication makes this a bit harder when it was supposed to make things easier.

Has anyone on this medication had a similar problem? And how have you dealt with it?

It's been suggested I should try a different medication anyway, since this one kind of stopped working, are there any that help with depression that don't make you lethargic?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

If meds is making you to lethargic after 4 mths then perhaps it would be a good thing to change meds Wellbutrin xr actual gives a boost of energy i found anyways i was able to do so much more on it but meds do not always work the same with each person Ask your doc about it ok
  3. True-Lee

True-Lee Well-Known Member

Hi. I was on Prozac for 6 years. I was taking the Max dosage and I never had any problem. I went off of them 17 years ago, then 3 years ago I started taking them again they didn't work and I just kept going to therapy and didn't need them and am not taking anything. I was on 3 different meds but nothing worked for me except Prozac. 1 I tried knocked me out after taking it so that Is all I can tell you. Sorry I couldn't help. Good Luck. I think it's a turkey shoot from my impression.

One other item the time of day you take the medication might influence the results
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2014
  4. Ed.

Ed. Well-Known Member

Hi guys, thanks for your replies, just talking about this stuff with other people is a big help really, so anything anyone can contribute is great!

I have noticed the time of day you take them really changes things, but I can't get it constant.

The problem I have with anti-depressant medication, is that I'm a chemist, a cynic, and I'm not proud to admit that I'm already acquainted with the way mind-altering drugs work. So I guess I notice the chemical affects but they don't really change my mood, because I'm consciously aware that it's just a chemical in my brain making me feel things. But the lethargy I can't escape, I just want to sleep all the time! I am happier being blissed out on pills than in a stew of self-loathing, but I gotta change something, and I can't do it when all I want to do is snooze all the time!

Anyway, like I said, just sharing your experiences can help me, like what time of day you take meds works for you? etc. Thanks!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.