Medicine for depression?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by squids71, Aug 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squids71

squids71 New Member

A while ago I was going to counseling and she suggested that I see the psychiatrist for medicine because she said I was showing a lot of signs of depression. I told her I didn't want to do that because I was afraid of the stigma of taking "happy pills" and I also had no money or no way to pay for the medication as well.

It has now been 2 years and things are only getting worse. I took the quick Burns checklist and I used to only have the initial feelings but now my social life has taken a very bad turn. I now actively avoid family and friends and I would do anything not to talk to or interact with people. I cry all the time and it's almost guaranteed once a day now. It is extremely difficult to get anything done and yet I am still trying but failing at everything which just makes it harder to keep going. I am unemployed and every day I wake up and receive a rejection email or voicemail on my phone and computer. Waking up to rejection everyday has been absolutely soul crushing and I am at a point where sometimes my mind wanders and thinks about suicide or somehow just quitting everything.

I am wondering if it's too late to go back and ask to see what they recommend or what they have to say. But I am worried still about effects and side effects of medications.

Have any of you had anything prescribed for depressed or similar symptoms? How did it go? Did you have to wean yourself off later on and was that hard?

Thank you for your time
  2. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Hi there,

I would definitely suggest seeing your doctor to see if you can try some medication. Medication doesn't necessarily cure the depression, but it lessens that black cloud so you can think more rationally and deal with your problems, and in conjunction with therapy it is very effective.

I have taken several anti depressants in the past, but sadly did not work out for me because I have bipolar (people with bipolar don't react well to anti depressants) but I know a lot of people that take anti depressants and have found them to be helpful. I did not have any problems weaning off anti depressants either and I didn't get many side effects, but your doctor can advise you on that.
  3. cymbele

cymbele SF Supporter

As Butterfly suggested the medicines just lift the cloud so you can deal with some of the issues. The side effects are different for different people and that's why the pdocs are involved. I am on anti-depressents and when I go off them things just seem to get worse and people notice the difference. They have helped a lot in just dealing with minor issues for me so I don't play around with dosage etc.

Last year I too was out of work for the majority of it. My pdoc gave me samples to get by and then I applied to the drug company for assistance and got help to make it through. Being unemployed and looking for a job is a tough situation and between God, friends, and therapists I managed to get through. Unemployment makes the depression worse. Get the help. It's there whether as part of social services or you pay for it. In my city there is a mental health dept of social services for those who can't afford a pdoc b/c of income. How the Affordable Care Act will change it I don't know.
  4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hey there, I think you should give it a try. Medication has helped me a great deal but not until I combined it with therapy. In particular the anti depressant mirtazapine helped me a lot. For anxiety, valium helps me (but it is addictive so you may not want to try that). Setraline has helped me immensely since I started it about 2 months ago. In conjunction with therapy it can help but on it's own I think it sometimes only masks the problem and not actually treat them (that's not the case for everyone though, as some have a chemical imbalance). Overall though I think yes you should give it a try and if you are worried about side effects, discuss that with the doctor and maybe they can give you something that has few side effects. I remember first starting on psych meds and I was scared but it was worth it and I have had very few side effects considering I have tried a lot of different medicines.
  5. squids71

squids71 New Member

Thanks for the advice. I am looking up some places I could go that might be low cost or where I can get in to see someone soon. I have read that some people have weight gain side effects but I am not too worried about that. I am really embarrassed about it (and it is partially the reason I said no before) and so I have not talked to anyone about my problems yet. I've just been feeling really down and avoiding interaction. This weekend I am supposed to go to my aunt's place with the family and I am already thinking of ways to get out of it.

Unemployment has made things absolute hell. I feel like I am not worth anything and no one wants me because I am not good enough to even get a menial job. Everyday my family calls me lazy or worthless or "the worst". I don't even have the energy or know what to say back because I am starting to feel like it's true.
  6. peaceful exit

peaceful exit New Member

So encouraging to hear that, Petal. Are you taking it alone, or in conjunction with something else? I started on 50mg of Sertraline, not quite 3 weeks ago. No changes yet, but the doctor said it takes between 4 and 6 weeks to start working for most people. I'm desperately hoping for some improvement soon.

Edited to add: Squids71, I can relate to a lot of what you're experiencing. I've spent years avoiding social interaction, and among my family I have a reputation for being unreliable with regard to showing up for major events (despite having dragged myself to quite a few of them). It sounds like a good call on your part to consider medication. There are plenty of options if one doesn't suit you, and can always stop altogether if you think it's not helping, but it might be just what you need to get things back on track. I hope you find some relief soon.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2014
  7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hey, I did not see the effects of the drug for about 4 weeks. I did feel worse before I felt better, because it treats major anxiety and major depression in one go its a good choice! Yes, I am on several other medications....phenergan,lyrica,valium,stilnoct stemetil. But the setraline was the one that made the big difference. I am now on 200mg setraline and it is a drug that doesn't stop working ''going by the book''. So good luck with this medication and I hope it helps you as much as it has helped me.
  8. Hi, I am also on sertraline 50mg for my issues. My psychiatrist has increased the dose to 75mg 2 days ago and I am feeling slightly better today. Not much crying and feeling down but still feel empty. I will return to see my psychiatrist and hoped she will increase the dose to 100mg and hope I get better soon. I feel suicidal all the time before the medicine. I was warded in a psychiatric unit for a week and tried on sertraline 50mg with headaches and diahorrea on first day. Now side effects only left with dry mouth. No more suicidal thoughts but just empty mood. I wished I can get better with this medicine and I am still struggling to survive because I didn't want to disappoint the psychiatry team who has treated me with care and concern when I was very suicidal in the ward. They are very helpful.
  9. peaceful exit

peaceful exit New Member

I hope you get better soon too, marathon-addict. I'm glad you've had a little improvement, at least - hopefully you'll be feeling even better once the dosage increase kicks in.

My prescription is from my family physician (general practitioner), not a psychiatrist, and I'm somewhat disappointed at her lack of familiarity with sertraline. She raised my dosage to 75 mg recently, but she said that 50 is considered a "middle" dose and 75, to her, is high. Everything I've read, and even what I remember as a seasoned mental health care consumer in years past, is that 50 is the lowest therapeutic dose for depression, and I should have plenty of room to increase. She was already talking about switching to a different SSRI if the 75mg of Sertraline doesn't quite get me where I want to go. I'm glad she's open-minded about trying other meds if necessary, but I'd much rather go up on the sertraline first, before jumping to a new antidepressant. But, ultimately, I really hope the 75 mg gets me out of the black hole I'm in.

I felt the same way when I was hospitalized many years ago; I was so grateful to the hospital staff. I decided, while I was there, that I'd utilize every resource, take advantage of the help they were offering, and really make an honest, whole-hearted effort to get better and overcome the depression. I followed through with that for years, but at this point, I'm about ready to give up. Holding on to hope that the sertraline will make a difference.

wishing you well, marathon-addict - please keep us updated, if you don't mind.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.