• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Medicine without complete diagnosis

TSS

Well-Known Member
#1
Hi, Thanks for reading. My therapist wants me back on medication for my depression. I have concerns because I just get diagnosed for depression when its likely that I am dealing with being bipolar and/or borderline personality Should I even be concerned?
 

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
#2
Hi, @TSS — I can understand that you are concerned. Many people want to know more about the medication their doctor would like them to take. I think if you have concerns about the meds and any diagnoses, your doctor is the person to speak with. He or she would be able to explain why they made a diagnosis, what the medication is supposed to help, and any if there any side effects you might want to be aware of.

Can you text/mail or call the doctor’s office and ask to get some answers to your questions before you go back on the medication for depression? I hope you are feeling well soon!
 
#3
Crazymeds is a good site to look up psychiatric medications for effects/side effects and so on. I would definitely raise your concerns about being possibly bipolar before starting medication, as I believe some depression medications can trigger mania. Your pharmacist can tell you if this is likely.
 

WildCherry

Owner Emeritus
#4
It's OK to have concerns, and to express them, either to your therapist or your regular doctor. If it were me, I would want to have a definitive diagnosis.
 

TSS

Well-Known Member
#5
Hi, @TSS — I can understand that you are concerned. Many people want to know more about the medication their doctor would like them to take. I think if you have concerns about the meds and any diagnoses, your doctor is the person to speak with. He or she would be able to explain why they made a diagnosis, what the medication is supposed to help, and any if there any side effects you might want to be aware of.

Can you text/mail or call the doctor’s office and ask to get some answers to your questions before you go back on the medication for depression? I hope you are feeling well soon!
Thanks, I don't have a doctor yet. I am concerned that new doctor will just copy what I was on a few years ago when I was at Sr Vincent's stress center.
 

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
#6
Hiya, TSS. A new doctor will want to know your history, what meds you’ve been on, and how well those meds worked. You can still share your concerns about diagnoses with a new doctor. The new doctor is likely to assess you and check out that the previous diagnosis is correct or “all” that is going on. I hope that when you get a doctor, you will speak up and share your concerns. The only way doctors can help us is when we are honest and open about what is going on and what we are concerned about. *hug Good luck with this. I’m sure you’ll do just fine! :)
 
Last edited:

Butterfly

Sim Addict
Admin
SF Author
SF Supporter
#8
I have Bipolar. Before diagnosis I would react badly to anti depressants, so I do think it's important that you talk to your prescribing doctor about this.
 
#9
Thanks for advising Crazymeds; this website made my day. It’s fine to have concerns; your therapist is the best person to discuss them with. I would also want to know more about my diagnosis and the meds I have to take.
I have always been a fan of traditional medicine and thought that plants are designed to help us in a natural way, and if you know which plant to use, then you can cure almost any disease. I’m not that radical now, but I still think that burdock root benefits and the benefits of chamomile or valerian plants. They can help you keep calm and be less nervous.
 
#10
Hi, Thanks for reading. My therapist wants me back on medication for my depression. I have concerns because I just get diagnosed for depression when its likely that I am dealing with being bipolar and/or borderline personality Should I even be concerned?
Iv been self medicating for years but now it's a problem and don't know how else to deal with it
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top