• Apologies for the issue with a bizarre redirect on the site earlier today. There was a large server update and an error in an IP address had the traffic routing wrongly. No hacking or anything nefarious and nothing to worry about. Sorry for any stress/anxiety caused. Very best wishes - SF Admin

Memory problems and brain fog

blueskyx

I have serious problems with my memory, and my friends also note to me about this. I lost a lot of things (phone, textbooks, glasses, pen) and I often don’t remember a lot of things. I also often zone out on things. Recently this became worst and it affects my presentation (I forgot halfway through what I was presenting) and I got reprimanded for it by my lecturer. ._. My therapist said it may be due to my stress which also contributes to my depression as well. I often overthink a lot and it causes me to cry painfully and my chest and stomach often acts up. Recently I’m trying to forget the painful memories & thoughts so I occupy my thoughts with comics and the stories I created in my head (i often do this to distract myself from bad thoughts especially in public since i don’t want to break down crying again). Hence I can say that my memory loss was probably due to my overflowing emotions and my distraction, that it somehow prevent me from remembering anything on reality. I also usually zone out because of overflowing emotions and distraction.

How do I fix my memory problems? It’s been bothering me a lot, and I feel like my academic performance and my social life is completely affected by this 😩 I usually hide my painful thoughts and struggle from others but my memory problem just made my life worst to be honest

shattered dreams

My scars are healed, doesnt mean the pain is gone
Hi Blue,

I can't help you with memory, i just resonated with your post. it sounded like you were describing me. sometimes i leave the house and ten minutes later i've forgotten where i'm going, other times i lose track of where i'm at. i know how distressing it can be. I'm sure someone here might be of some help, your not alone here.

Sad Elf

Hi

I get brain got and sometimes just sort of some out. I think there are a lot of causes, stress, anxiety etc, but I also think my anti depressants may cause some of it.

Not sure I have any advice to offer, I have read grounding techniques and mindfulness are good thinks to try......

Elf

How do I fix my memory problems?
If you are taking medication, you may want to ask the prescriber to adjust it.

I recommend that you try acupuncture and traditional Chinese herbal medicine. I can say more about these treatments and how to find affordable treatment if you are interested.

Taking up a meditation practice may help. The acupressure self-massage, and other self-help methods described in my signature links may be helpful to you.

I hope things can get better soon.

blueskyx

Hi

I get brain got and sometimes just sort of some out. I think there are a lot of causes, stress, anxiety etc, but I also think my anti depressants may cause some of it.

Not sure I have any advice to offer, I have read grounding techniques and mindfulness are good thinks to try......

Elf
I tried mindfulness but somehow I always end up in a hurry and forget about that technique. But I should read more into that and grounding techniques :)

blueskyx

If you are taking medication, you may want to ask the prescriber to adjust it.

I recommend that you try acupuncture and traditional Chinese herbal medicine. I can say more about these treatments and how to find affordable treatment if you are interested.

Taking up a meditation practice may help. The acupressure self-massage, and other self-help methods described in my signature links may be helpful to you.

I hope things can get better soon.
I’m not on medication since I’m only diagnosed with mild depression and now I’m still on therapy. And thanks, I’ll check it out! :)

Dinolaur

Human by day, Dino by night
SF Pro
Hi blue :)

I also suffer with memory loss & forgetfulness along with forgetting what I’m talking about And don’t get me started on the fog... Along with body pain and fatigue, I was eventually diagnosed with fibromyalgia as memory loss and ”fibro fog” is horrid, I often ask the same question about 10x a day that my partner gets really bloody cross with lol I have to laugh it off or I’d cry.
I also suffer horrendously with headaches. If you wanna talk more in-depth with me about fibromyalgia please don’t hesitate to :)

tlaud

I read all the posts, and know that this is not an insulting response of rising above others.....my brain surgery removed my short term memory component, which is the hippocampus. My recommendation is to practice, like when you meet someone, repeat their name, i.e. - "Hello Beelzebub," "That's interesting Beelzebub," etc.

All the imperfections we live with may be improved, just a little bit, if we practice.

tlaud

Hi blue :)

I also suffer with memory loss & forgetfulness along with forgetting what I’m talking about And don’t get me started on the fog... Along with body pain and fatigue, I was eventually diagnosed with fibromyalgia as memory loss and ”fibro fog” is horrid, I often ask the same question about 10x a day that my partner gets really bloody cross with lol I have to laugh it off or I’d cry.
I also suffer horrendously with headaches. If you wanna talk more in-depth with me about fibromyalgia please don’t hesitate to :)
I would also like to add a thought about headaches. Many are related to muscular tension, and can be treated. As a physical therapist I have had patients referred from dentists, as there are muscles that can refer pain to the teeth.

Dots

Misknown Member
I also suffer from fog.. lots of fog. I'm wading in the fog. Usually I'm clearest when I have a full night's sleep(rare btw), am on a normal routine, and don't take too many sleeping meds the night prior. Even with my mental health problems and lupus, these minor changes help... Also I have this weird theory that injecting your mind with too much info, or emotions, or stress can push out other things, so I think emotion stabilization and addressing any anxiety helps. Usually I'm spending so much time and effort on my anxious thoughts that I tend to barely notice anything else. All my mental resources are focused on "what if this person thinks this" instead of actively listening to what they're saying or seeing what they're doing, making it more forgettable.

There's this listening technique I tried in training once.. (not to say you don't listen, just if you're like me you get lost in your head). If you want to know anymore about it, let me know. :)

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$55.00
Goal
$255.00