mental illness letters

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by emily83, Aug 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

before you call me strange, (what the hell is she thinking?), i've actually seen this as an idea someone had..

if you could write a letter to your mental illness, what would you write?

mine would be:

dear mental illness,

i think you're extremely cruel- when i first met you, i knew you wern't going to be very nice towards me. though never did i think years down the line, i'd have my whole life ruined, and more issues than i can count thanks to you.

would you please go away, or at least tell me why you are so harsh- so i can begin to understand you and why you inflict your pain on so many people

go away... no one wants you here

2. pithrania

pithrania Active Member

I think this is a good idea.

Dear mental illness,
    I'm tired of being your captive.
    I feel like you're strangling me, would you please let me out of this cage so I can breathe?

I know i'm an easy victim, but why me? tell me what wrong I did you.
    I know you want to get out of my body, but no way in hell you're gonna take my soul with you.
    I'll show you that if I can't get you out I'll learn to live with you. I won't let you ruin my life.

3. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Dear mental illness,

Why do you make me feel like such an incompetent idiot? I'm tired of you taking away my self-worth, my pride, my dignity, making me feel like a bad and evil person. Why do you like draining me, mentally and physically? I feel like I'm slowly dying from the inside out. I wish I could be stronger, to break free of your grasp, to move on with my life and be happy and content. Please let me out of this prison, I need to break free and make the most of my life.

~ Christy
  4. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

no one else wants to have a go at this?

hmm... i honestly thought it would be a good way for people to vent their frustrations
  5. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Yes I agree, very good idea.
    I think if I actually thought about it, I would have a lot of positive things to say.

Dear Mental Illness,
    You've always been there for me when no one else was. Your provided me with stability and consistency. You were and are often times my only form of rebellion against a cruel world. When I can do nothing else you are there to fight back against things I cannot accept. You have been one of my closest friends, and I know you'll always be there for me if I need you. I appreciate all that you've done for me, and the fact that you've kept me company over the years when I was lonely.
  6. TrentGrad

TrentGrad Well-Known Member

Dear Mental Illness,

Well, it's official...the only people I have in my life...I have because they feel obligated to tolerate me. Blood relatives...that's it. No one else wants me around.

Financially, I am bordering ruin. Career wise, I am ruined. Physically, I'm beginning to break down. And thanks to you, I'm terrified of even the smallest insects...unable to talk myself out of the notion that they find me to terrorize me.

You've chased away my sense of hope, my potential to feel happy, and even my ability to think about the future. All I have left are memories.

At this point, I have just one question for you: what more do you want? You've stalked me now for over 20 years, and have sapped the best years of my life. I'll never have a family, never know the touch of romantic love...I'm literally waiting to die at this point, and yet there is still no reprieve from your savagery.

If you're not going to leave, can you at least take me peacefully and painlessly? Please think about it.

- Jack
  7. nightfallagain

nightfallagain Well-Known Member

It's a great idea!!! continue the thread as generally it takes some time to direct a letter to someone. something, in particular. I must be quiet so she doesn't strong-hold my thinking or emotions. If I stay calm and quiet, she will not come and I can think and speak on my own accord.
  8. PaperFlame

PaperFlame Active Member

good thread, though if I were to write a letter to my illness it feels more like writing a letter to my own self. Nevertheless here goes:

Dear Depression,

You make me feel like shit when I should feel good about myself. You humble me when I should be proud. You lower me when I should feel self-respect. You cast a shadow on my loved-ones when they should bask in adoration. I hate you. I often time wonder what I have done to deserve you, yet I probably know deep down and am too scared to face you. Please go easy on me to make me stick around. If I go then you go, catch my drift?

9. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

It is an excellent thread emily

I would say Dear depression i know you are there to remind me of who i have lost and who i may lose in the future but i am tired now so please let me be so i am not also lost to the ones i care about. Please let some light in ok just a little so i am not in the darkness so much and i don't feel so alone
  10. KimKim

KimKim Well-Known Member

i often catch myself talking to...whatever it is that sometimes kicks in to my life and makes me do awkward things that don't fit my character...and your letters are all very - I don't want to sa cute, but in a way they are. I think it's nice, playful way to sort out our feelings. so here I go:

Dear "special condition",

I would like you to aknowledge that, as you can allready sense by me avoiding the term "illness", I have by now accepted your existance. Allthough I sometimes feel like your only intention is to kill me (and sadly I suppose this is acutally your goal) I start to understand that it's not because you hate me or you ar trying to ruin my life.
    In fact your rebellion allways turns out to be sign that what I conciously did was not beneficial for my own wellbeing and my relations to others.
    I want to start paying better attention to your voice before you have to start screaming. Hopefully this way we can stop batteling each other until I break down in exhaustance. You know it was never fun for any of us nor my friends.
    If we could lead my life in awareness of your function, I believe it could be so much easier and painless.
    Please understand that you are here because I turn towards you for compensation. I am afraid I will allways need you. So our only way to get along is to find a middleground. I know we are heading towards the right direction.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.