mental institutions/psych wards: what is it like?

darkdaisy

what it is like being in a mental hospital? for anything, but more specifically for suicidal ideation or attempts. and is treatment different depending on voluntary and involuntary check ins? i’ve done a lot of research, and some say that it was the best experience of their life, being a turning point and pulling them out of whatever mental illness trauma they may have. others say that it is like a horrible prison and it is not good for you and does just the opposite. honest opinions please?

Butterfly

Sim Addict
Safety & Support
SF Author
SF Supporter
Psych hospitals are very different here in the UK than in America. Here in the UK we have limited beds so only the most severely unwell get admitted and the crisis team are the ones who make the decision to admit or not. You can't just check yourself in as and when you want. My first admission was traumatic and horrible whereas my last admission was really beneficial. Here in the UK we are very protected by the law especially if under a section. It's pretty boring, not much to do and left to your own devices. Also here if you are voluntary you are technically allowed to leave whenever you want unless they consider you a risk and they can detain you. Psych wards don't really do much except look at meds then watch and wait. As I said they are boring and unstimulatingn

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Different times and age those days on how those things are run. In same city different hospitals have different routine/policies. Many around here who need to be put on psych floors end up sitting in the ER. And off they go back to the daily grind. (US - Chicago perspective here)

Rinse and repeat.

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Social Media
SF Artist
SF Supporter
Not many hospitals take adult voluntary admission (even in the US). It might be different for teens. Typically it is best to work with a doctor and they determine if you need to be admitted or not. Each place is different. Even two people in the same until can have very different experiences. Talk to your doctor, school counselor or an adult you trust and take it from there.

darkdaisy

It depends on the hospital and where you are. Given that you are 15, I would assume you would be at a children's hospital. Do you have a doctor that you could talk to about this?
may i just ask, how do you know i am 15?😳 but it’s fine. i am kind of afraid to talk to a doctor about going into a mental institution so idk what to do...

Callousgirl

Semper Occultus
what it is like being in a mental hospital? for anything, but more specifically for suicidal ideation or attempts. and is treatment different depending on voluntary and involuntary check ins? i’ve done a lot of research, and some say that it was the best experience of their life, being a turning point and pulling them out of whatever mental illness trauma they may have. others say that it is like a horrible prison and it is not good for you and does just the opposite. honest opinions please?
@wendymadison1118

Mental hospitals, or mental wards within a hospital, is different with different states. Voluntary or involuntary hospitalization is designed around the laws of the state government. True, there are federal laws as well, but in general terms, your dealing with state laws. When I was in Michigan, all I really had to do was go to the emergency room and I would get a bed with their mental ward within the hospital. In Tennessee it is different, as you go to a emergency room, and they will find you a bed at the mental hospital. The last time I went into a mental hospital in Tennessee, I went to the emergency room, and they had me with a nurse as a one on one because I said I was suicidal. I spent around nine hours in the emergency room, and they found me a bed at the mental hospital. They release me from the emergency room, and gave me the address to the mental hospital that was in the next county. I asked them, I said I was suicidal, and you placed a nurse with me with a one on one observation for nine hours -- and now your telling me to get in a car and drive to the next county alone. They told me, since I was leaving the hospital property, it was no longer their responsibility for what I may or may not do to myself even that I said I was suicidal.

When I was in Michigan, I was interacting with men and woman in the mental wards. One hospital I liked the best, because you can eat snack foods any time you want, and have as many different non caffeine drinks as you want. Being in Tennessee, your in a very closed section of the hospital, and your with your own gender during your treatment. Plus, being a woman, you cannot have a bra during your time in the hospital. Plus, your in nurse outfit with just a shirt and pants. So, you got around 30 women hanging around without a bra on. Plus, when you do go to eat, your eating with the men. So you feel a bit undressed when your eating with the men.

darkdaisy

@wendymadison1118

Mental hospitals, or mental wards within a hospital, is different with different states. Voluntary or involuntary hospitalization is designed around the laws of the state government. True, there are federal laws as well, but in general terms, your dealing with state laws. When I was in Michigan, all I really had to do was go to the emergency room and I would get a bed with their mental ward within the hospital. In Tennessee it is different, as you go to a emergency room, and they will find you a bed at the mental hospital. The last time I went into a mental hospital in Tennessee, I went to the emergency room, and they had me with a nurse as a one on one because I said I was suicidal. I spent around nine hours in the emergency room, and they found me a bed at the mental hospital. They release me from the emergency room, and gave me the address to the mental hospital that was in the next county. I asked them, I said I was suicidal, and you placed a nurse with me with a one on one observation for nine hours -- and now your telling me to get in a car and drive to the next county alone. They told me, since I was leaving the hospital property, it was no longer their responsibility for what I may or may not do to myself even that I said I was suicidal.

When I was in Michigan, I was interacting with men and woman in the mental wards. One hospital I liked the best, because you can eat snack foods any time you want, and have as many different non caffeine drinks as you want. Being in Tennessee, your in a very closed section of the hospital, and your with your own gender during your treatment. Plus, being a woman, you cannot have a bra during your time in the hospital. Plus, your in nurse outfit with just a shirt and pants. So, you got around 30 women hanging around without a bra on. Plus, when you do go to eat, your eating with the men. So you feel a bit undressed when your eating with the men.
thank you for your response, @Callousgirl. if you don’t mind me asking, how long did you stay for? and what did you do? did you enjoy it? do you think it changed your life?

Callousgirl

Semper Occultus
thank you for your response, @Callousgirl. if you don’t mind me asking, how long did you stay for? and what did you do? did you enjoy it? do you think it changed your life?
@wendymadison1118

The first time I was in for ten weeks, and I really enjoyed it. The place was a building next to the hospital. You could walk outside and enjoy being outside in the sun. There was nothing to stop you, as my car was in the parking lot, and I could have driven away. Once a week, we went on a field trip, and enjoyed the day.

The second time around, and after, I was in the main hospital. Or, at the other hospital, and it was just a ward. When I was going to the university, I went in during my breaks. Two years in a role, I spent New Years Eve in the mental ward. Now, it is just a lock up and your dealing with the system they have. It is needed, yes, but enjoying it and feeling it will change my life, becomes indifferent the more times you go in and come out of the system.

Im from Switzerland and its probably a lot different in the US.
I was admited twice this year. The hospital, infrastructure and the team working there sas awful the first time and really nice the second time.. Guess its a lot about luck. Both times I was admitted unvoluntarily and each time it felt very traumatic. It was probably the best thing to admit me, but i wouldnt go there on my own..

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00