Michael Jackson - an extreme case of a man suffering from Body Dysmorphic Disorder

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Aurora Gory Alice, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Over the years I think we've all heard at least one person say, "why did he do that to his face, he was such an attractive young man?" or "why did he want to be white?".

But the way I see it is, why did not a single person ever pick up on the fact that it is more than likely Michael Jackson was a sufferer of BDD?

I was trying to explain to my Mum, the other day, how I can completely understand (having had a similar upbringing with a terrible father who I just happen to look like and him making me hate everything about myself). I have always hated everything about the way I look and done whatever is in my power to run away from my looks.
    Although for me it has been less about the colour of my skin and more to do with my weight and just how ugly I am in general.

Once upon a time if someone had asked me 'I can make you another race? All you need is £500,000,000. I will change your nose, your cheekbones, your chin, your hair, in fact I will change every single characteristic that makes you who you are - until there is not even a single thing left. It will be the ultimate change'.
    I probably would've taken that deal because I was filled with THAT much hate and despair at how I looked.

It is my belief that this is how it was for Michael and people are so quick to dismiss that he may have been ill. All you have to do is look at his entire life story and see that this is the most likely outcome!

2. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

Re: Michael Jackson - an extreme case of a man suffering from Body Dysmorphic Disorde

I agree. I kindof go through it a little myself. I'm always trying to change how I look. adding piercings and tattoos or dying my hair..trying to lose weight even if its not necessary. various other stuff.

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Re: Michael Jackson - an extreme case of a man suffering from Body Dysmorphic Disorde

He claims the change in skin tone was due to a disease - you got any proof to the contrary?

4. pisces

pisces New Member & Antiquities Friend

Yes i can agree with him having body dysmorphia,
    but that wasn't the only thing wrong with him, i think he had a whole range of mental health issues and i bet any pychiatrist would of had a field day having him as a patient
    to coin a phrase "the man was as far gone as a cracking flee" and made me think i was quite normal in comparison

5. Aurora Gory Alice

Sounds EXACTLY like me, at one point I had so many piercings you could barely see my face, I used to wear horn rimmed black glasses and stuff as well so that you would never really be able to see what I looked like, as much hair as possible in my face etc.

No, of course I have no proof. But does anybody? All I can say is my own knowledge of vitiligo and as far as I know I have never seen a person with the disease whose skin was all one colour, it makes you patchy and even the best make up cannot hide it to the extent he seemed to have managed to.
    Now I do have a working knowledge of skin bleaching however, and I do know that hydroquinone continues to make a person keep getting lighter and lighter over time, when used in extremely high doses.

6. ace

ace Well-Known Member

Alot of people are quick to label Michale Jackson a freak etc,but something like Bdd people have no idea what hell this condition causes you.I suffer from Bdd,and have had three operations on my nose do I like it?No way.The fact is that I'd still have surgery that's how bad the condition is,I think it's a similar case to depression no one knows the pain it causes unless you really have it.

7. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I feel for Michael Jackson... Poor guy, I know exactly how BBD is as I have suffered from it myself. It's very likely that he had it if you think about it.
    But most people- normal happy people- cannot understand how screwed up you can be if you suffer from this condition. Even if you are attractive, you cannot SEE it yourself, all you see is a terribly ugly person..:sad:

8. ace

ace Well-Known Member

Exactly the condition cripples you like nothing,it takes away your life if you aren't depressed already the likelyhood is Bdd will make you depressed.Whatever people may tell you it doesn't help,there may be temprary reassurance but it doesn't help.Therapy and meds may help but it is a long process I'm sure and not an easy one.Put anyone in a position with bdd and they will feel like it's hell no doubt about it.

9. Aurora Gory Alice

You guys are so right.

I have recently seen all of the You Tube videos about him having Vitiligo (first time I've ever really seen the effects of his Vitiligo close up) and then hearing about him going through Depigmentation, so that side of things definitely makes sense, but the surgery still doesn't, it still all just comes down to the BDD I think.
    Poor guy, I just can't help but to think no matter how great he was and how much money he may have had at one point and how fabulous everybody thought he was, that his life seemed so tragic.
    I hope he is at peace now, I really do.

10. shades

shades Staff Alumni

The several sources on the internet, do in fact, state that the disease in question affects "patches of skin". But regardless, the other alterations to his physical features suggest that BDD is at least a possiblilty and a much more likely explanation than vitiligo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.