Migraines & Depression

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Beautiful Hope, Sep 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beautiful Hope

Beautiful Hope Active Member

I have now had a migraine for 9 days... it might be 10, I've lost count. Yesterday, I saw my doctor & she put me on zoloft for depression, relpax & vicodin for migraines, & phenagren for the nausea I have from the migraines. I ended up getting really sick last night before the meds had a chance to kick in. :sick: It got really bad & I ended up sleeping for 14 hours. I'm starting to understand why people with migraines are more likely to commit suicide than those who don't suffer from them. I'm wanting to know if anyone else here suffers from them. No one else I know has them & people tell me all the time "they can't be that bad." or "just get up & do something & you'll feel better." Neither of these comments helps & actually it makes a person feel more isolated because it makes them feel like they're causing their own migraines by not doing something about them. I've tried everything I've ever been told to try & nothing has helped to prevent them. Not even exercise. No medications. No amount of prayer, or going to church has worked, which is what my family claims will cure me. :frusty: Anyway. If you are also a migraine sufferer, will you please let me know. I feel very alone & like no one understands the kind of agony I feel nearly every day of my life. I have to keep my shades drawn & I basically live in a cave, which adds to my depression because I'm a person that very much loves sunlight. :blue:

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

There are meds hun that help to prevent migraines from coming one is sandomigrain and there are others many People are so ignorant of something they do not understand
    i hope the meds the doc gave you help to decrease the pain some I know how crippling the pain can be hugs

3. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

Not sure if it helps migranes but there are a lot people who swear by psilocybin(magic mushrooms) for cluster headaches. I watched a documentary where one guy said he would have ended it if he hadnt found relief from mushrooms but again this is for cluster headaches not sure if it is the same as migranes. Might be something worth looking into though.

I know how depressing chronic pain can be. Its the single biggest cause of me thinking of suicide frequently. Im only 21 and live with it but I imagine migranes would be worse then what I got for sure. Stay strong hopefully you can find some relief somehow :)

4. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

Hmm I did a little looking around and it seems cluster headaches are more severe and also different from migraines and many say mushrooms may not be effective for regular migraines but who knows.

I did see however that melatonin may help migraines if you havent tried that yet.

5. Beautiful Hope

Thank you. I have tried multiple preventatives & none have helped. I haven't heard of the one you recommended, but I'll talk to my Dr & see what she says. Thank you. I took 1 1/2 vicodin earlier so I'm not really feeling the pain right now. But I feel woozy & nauseous. I am feeling a lot better for now. Thank you. :)

6. Beautiful Hope

Hey. Thanks. I've never tried any magic mushrooms. I do suffer from cluster headaches, as well as classic migraines. It really, really sucks when I've got that & a migraine at the same time. Which I think might be what happened last night & why I got so sick. I am looking into getting a medical marijuana card but I can't afford it. Everywhere I've called say it's $150 for the consult & $150 for the first card that lasts for a year. I've got no idea if it would help so I don't want to dish out that kind of money, & I don't have that kind of money to dish out. But thank you. I wish I could say I'd look into it but mushrooms are illegal here so I won't be doing that. But really, I appreciate the thought.

7. dzda52511

dzda52511 Member

i had a migrane for six months straight,couldn't go outside, watch tv be in school because of the lighting or even listen to music I had to isolate and stay home. Stop all caffeine coffee, soda, ect get a cat scan, be checked out by eye dr, keep taking medications, good luck I feel your pain

8. Beautiful Hope

Thanks. I've never had one that lasted that long but I've had to do all the things you did. I used to get a CT Scan & an MRI every year. They can't find any rumors or growths of any kind & have no explanation other than "it's stress." Which really doesn't do anything but piss me off. I've also had one that told me migraines aren't real & they're all just made up pain so we expects to feel the pain & therefore, we do. I wanted to hit that lady. It made me so angry. I hope you're over your migraine though. & I hope you never have one again. I wouldn't wish this agony in anyone. :(

9. Sparrow91

Sparrow91 Well-Known Member

I get horrible migraines too. And I understand your frustration about comments like they can't be that bad. I can't even get up to walk because every step is a horrible pounding in my head, and lights ugh they make it worse. It sucks, I want to go out and do things but migraines prevents a lot of that. Sometimes pressure on my the side of my head or on the temples alleviates it. I heard the smell of peppermint helps. And like everyone else has mentioned medications. Sometimes a little caffeine helps me but be careful sometimes it can make it worse. Quiet breathing exercises like meditation may help. I hope you feel better! *hugs*

10. Beautiful Hope

You hit every nail on the head. I do breathing techniques to alleviate the pain. I eat peppermints like they're oxygen to calm the nausea. & I tend to squeeze my head between my hands to relieve the pressure. That only works sometimes & less than a minute at a time. But it's better than nothing. I've tried around 10 different preventatives, had MRIs, CT scans, blood work, therapy... nothing has worked to prevent the migraines. Anxiety comes on faster when I've got one & it makes them worse which makes my anxiety worse, which makes my head hurt worse... that's just a vicious cycle. I have to pop a mint, some vicodin **OR** xanax (never take them together), & do my breathing techniques for around 30 mins in order to bring myself down from all that. I've also done yoga, which didn't really help but I enjoyed it. Injuries I've acquired since won't allow me to do that anymore. & I've thought of trying acupuncture, but it's expensive & I don't know if my insurance will cover it. Besides that, there's no place to get it where I live. I'd have to drive about 50 mins, minimum, to get to an office. I was actually told recently, by my mother, that if I go to church every sunday & ask God to take away the depression & migraines, that he will. I don't believe that. I believe in God & I've asked for his help & he never has in 14 years, so why would that help me now??? Anyway. Thanks for you comment. I'm glad you already know these techniques but I'm sorry you have to deal with migraines, as well. I wouldn't wish it on anyone in the whole world. Not even Satan himself. :faint2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.