Minimizing acid damage

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by aoeu, Jan 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Let me say straight up that I do not condone purging as a way of managing weight.

Purging does a great deal of damage due to stomach acid. It severely burns the esophagus and dissolves the teeth (I have severe gastric reflux so I have tooth damage similar to that found with bulimia, and it's unpleasant: the enamel is so thin as to be transparent and I have extreme sensitivity as a result).

I know of no way to help people not purge, I'll leave that to others with more experience.

Everybody lapses, so I expect many could find this advice useful.

Also, you should brush your teeth afterwards with a lot of toothpaste, focusing on the inside of the teeth. I'm not sure if everyone knows that or not. It is very helpful in preventing acid damage to teeth, as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2012
  2. Medusa.

Medusa. Well-Known Member

You should not brush your teeth right after purging that is worse for your teeth it moves the acid around and damages the teeth even more.
    Unless I misunderstood what you wrote?

3. AlienBeing

AlienBeing Well-Known Member

Can't Escape is right. It would probably be better to just rinse your mouth with some baking soda and water to deacidify it. I wonder if it would help to take antacids before purging too. Not that I've ever purged, or think you should, I'm just thinking about harm reduction.

4. blugurrl

blugurrl Member

There is also a toothpaste called mi paste that remineralize your teeth that helps, but the baking soda works, do not brush it makes it worse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.