Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by JustKindaThere, Sep 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustKindaThere

JustKindaThere Well-Known Member

Starting on an anti-depressant today called Mirtazapine. Anybody on this or tried it? How did it affect you? I'm hoping it'll fix my horribly fucked up sleep.
  2. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

it is very drowsy at first, helps with sleep for sure.
  3. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

Certainly helps with sleep. I was on 15 - then 30 then upped to 45mg of it - and when I took the first one of them (each dose) - it knocked me out for 14 hours, then the 45mg eventually recinded down to 8-9 hours a night - sure helped my sleeping pattern.

But everyone is different. I was told it was a sedative based anti-depressant - so that'd be why it is one for sleep-deprived depressed people to try.
  4. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

I am currently on mirtazapine, and other than rather drowsy through the day its not touched me mood wise (I have only recently started so I cannot guarantee there will be no improvement)

It does assist me get to sleep but keeping me asleep has proven unsuccessful. I am trying several different relaxation ideas to do before I go to bed, to assist me sleeping through the night, so maybe consider some techniques to help with that before fully relying upon medication to keep you asleep
  5. JustKindaThere

How long have you been on it for exactly? Doc told me it'd take 3-4 days before it had any effect on my sleep.
  6. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

the effect on sleep was instantaneous for me, make sure you take it 1 hour before when you want to sleep, because it will get you to sleep. I have been on mirtazapine (15mg and 10mg aripiprazole) for 2 weeks now slee it helps me get to sleep, but it doesnt keep me asleep. I find that I am awake after 1.5 hours of sleep. (Hence the other relaxation techniques) I am only on a small dose too.
  7. PaperFlame

PaperFlame Active Member

I used mirtazapine for three years roughly. When I first started it worked from day one (keep in mind this is very individual on how it works). It helped tremendously with my sleep and after stopping the meds has more or less kept me sleeping well.

TBH it is the drug that saved my life and I am happy that I used it.
  8. JustKindaThere

Thanks for your responses. I took it an hour ago and am very drowsy already. We'll see how this shit goes...
  9. JustKindaThere

Well, I kept waking up like I usually do. Think I must've had at least 7 hours, but I feel like a fucking zombie. Does this zombieness ever go away?
  10. PaperFlame

PaperFlame Active Member

Zombieness will probably always be there to some degree, although it is worst in the beginning. Also, you need to stay active and not just mope around home all day(!)
  11. JustKindaThere

Hit the two week mark now. Only things I've noticed so far are that I'm sleeping much longer (getting up in the morning is near next to impossible) but I'm waking more often. I think I wake up every 30 minutes to an hour. My mood is the lowest it's ever been.
  12. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

Charlotte, you should probably areused to the med and what doing now cause of the med is here.. How many mgs is your pill??? I normally take45mg of this one and 200mg of trazodone.. Another antidepressant heavy duty sleeping aid..

That usually gets me 6 hrs straight thru sleep first shift..might go back to bed for 2 or 3 more hours..if I avoid oding on the coffee..

The mirtazapine helps a ton with my really severe depression..usually make thru sort of mellow until just fore dinner until the blues start circling again...glad for the help of this med!!!
  13. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

i was put on mirtazapine once, it ruined my sleep.
    Once asleep i would physically attack my partner, go for walks in my sleep and even make phone calls. Waking up became a problem and i still suffer these problems. i am actually waiting to go into a sleep clinic soon it became that much of a problem.
    I would never touch the stuff again!
  14. JustKindaThere

They only put me on 15mg.

I keep waking through the night fucking constantly and having crazy ass dreams. I can't take it anymore. I just want to feel rested and normal again. Fuuuuck it's just making me want to die even more.
  15. JustKindaThere

Month and a half and no improvement on my sleep/mental fog. I don't feel happy, just numbed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.