Misophonia, does it count as a mental disorder?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Ilovecatsmeow, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ilovecatsmeow

Ilovecatsmeow Member

I have misophonia, and I've been researching it, but it does not specify whether it is a mental disorder or not. It's a neurological condition which causes hyper sensitivity to certain sounds, often called trigger sounds. The person feels extreme rage when they hear the trigger noise. Visuals that go along with the noise often bother the sufferer as well. It is thought to be caused by unusual connections in the brain.

My trigger sounds are:
    The CL/KL sound
    Blowing nose
    And more I wont be able to think of until I hear them.

Anyone else here have misophonia? It's pretty uncommon, but maybe not since it often goes undiagnosed. I had to tell my therapist what it was after I heard what it was. Once I told her she researched it then diagnosed me. She used to just call it a quirk or anxiety before she knew a name to it.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

It is a mental disorder h un I hope you can talk to your doctor and get on some medication to help decrease the triggering effects hun hugs
  3. Ilovecatsmeow

Ilovecatsmeow Member

As far as I know, there is no medication that is meant to help misophoniacs. I guess anti anxiety pills might help a bit though. My doctor told me benzodiazepine might help, but that I can't take it for some reason. I hope someone develops a medication for it.
  4. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I don't think I have misophonia, but when I have agitated depression or hypomania sounds really bug me. I get so angry I almost become violent when people chew too loudly, chew their nails, breathe too heavily, the noise of fidgeting and rustling and I cannot listen to music as it sends me into a boiling rage. Sometimes the only way I can calm myself down is laying in silence for a couple of hours. When I am not in an agitated depression or hypomanic state these sounds don't bug me. Have you ever heard of mindfulness? May help when you hear a trigger noise.
  5. luYhAgnuJ

luYhAgnuJ Member

hey butterfly, me too! i almost threw my tv out the window yesterday because someone was chewing food and just kept chewing. i was so angry , i couldn't stand the sound!
  6. CGMAngel

CGMAngel Well-Known Member

Glad I found this thread. I have noticed my noise sensitivity getting progressively worse. It is becoming more and more generalised to the point where almost ANY sound irritates me. Watching TV used to provide the solace of distraction for me, but it is getting harder for me to even deal with that.

I know it is related to my anxiety/PTSD. I am constantly hypervigilant to danger, and any sound represents a potential threat to me, against which I feel I have to prepare and defend myself. It is not something I consciously do; it has become instinctive.

Very difficult to find peace in a noise-drenched world!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.