mood swing help

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by nonethelessjaclyn, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nonethelessjaclyn

nonethelessjaclyn Well-Known Member

i'm bipolar.

i've been taking antidepressants for half a year now (im only 17) and they're helping a lot with my depression, but the come down from my high is killing me.
    i get so irritable. the littlest things set me off. is there anything i can do besides take pills?

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Well, for one thing, DON'T take antidepressants. They tend to cause irritation manias. You should be taking mood stabilizers, Seroquel being an especially good idea as it is both a mood stabilizer and a monopolar antidepressant.

http://www.suicideforum.com/showthread.php?t=80137 That's another post of mine with some insight that's helped me a lot. Check it out.

3. nonethelessjaclyn

antidepressants have been helping me a lot though.

4. Young suicider

Young suicider Well-Known Member

Atleast you don't have a friend who jokes about suicide and being bipolar all day o_O

But anyway isn't there so kindof stabilizer pill?

5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

If they're destabilizing you, as they tend to, and it sounds like they are, they're doing harm. Look into other options, especially Seroquel - in any case, ensure you start mood stabilizers of some sort. You'll need to see a proper psychiatrist, this is beyond a GP.

6. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

I would echo what aeou says, antidepressants aren't really appropriate if you are suffering manic episodes as part of your Bipolar. A mood stabiliser is a must, some mood stabilisers like Lamictal (lamotrigine) also have an antidepressant quality. I take Lithium, Lamotrigine and Seroquel for my Bipolar.

7. nonethelessjaclyn

well i take antidepressants because my episodes are mostly depressive. i'm rarely manic, and when i am it's not for long. but when i am, it's crazy. then everything goes down hill quickly until i hit rock bottom.

8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Here's the problem: antidepressants cause manias, manias cause depressions. Mood stabilizers are going to be the best way to reduce depression - next to, of course, mood stabilizers/antidepressants like Seroquel/Lamictal. You're on the wrong meds and in a lot of trouble until you fix that.

9. nonethelessjaclyn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.