Motivation

Status
Not open for further replies.

S8pxph

Sooo I've had motivational issues, but usually I can get through them by telling myself that I just need to buck up and do it. The last couple years, though, I've had a really hard time doing that. It's really starting to take a toll on my school work, my health, and my relationships. All I want to do is lay in bed and watch movies and TV shows. I think it's as an escape, and I've been doing it more because I'm becoming addicted to the feeling I get when I don't have to focus on my own reality. Anyway, I would really like to hear how you deal with lack of motivation because I've run out of steam. I'm letting everyone down, including myself, and I need to fix it.

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
Have you talked to your doctor perhaps depression is what you are battling and therapy and some meds may give you the energy you need to get back on track again. Once depression is looked after then motivation will not be an issue anymore h un

S8pxph

Oh without a doubt it's depression. It's just, if I'm gonna stay on this earth I don't want to ruin my life and that's what I'm doing. I just can't seem to care enough to stop it. I don't hang out with my friends, I don't do school work, and I don't stay in shape. It's like I can fight hurting myself, but I can't do anything else. It's like the most I can do anymore is just be. But I've been fighting this depression for 9 years and I don't know how to fix it.

Here's what I do:

I make a to do list every night and add little check boxes. I include things I want to do (reading for me) and things I need to do. I never put too much on there, and I can get the things I need to get done along with what I want to do, and then, after I finish, I do whatever I want. I guess this only works if you like making lists and completing them. But, I got some really great advice when I was in outpatient treatment.

One of the therapists said that when you're having those days where you just want to do nothing, do one thing you need to, then reward yourself by doing nothing for 30 minutes. Then, do one more thing you need to (if you can), and reward. And so on and so forth. She said, if it's tough just start by doing one thing each day. Then add more. as you feel better. I hope that helps!

Wow. I can't believe there are also people who do the same things as me and feel the same way I feel. Sometimes, there's that feeling when you seem like you're not attached to the world anymore and all that fills your day are fantasies that you know will never happen in reality. Like books and TV and movies for me, for instance. Because honestly, I'm tired of dealing with what's real anymore. But, what motivates me to finish what I need to is you know, just thinking about my future and who I am supposed to be. In my case, I'm treading on a career in nursing so I learned to balance my time between work and play.

Like sollepus, I do the lists thing too. And I alternate my time between things I need to do and things I want to do. So, I don't get bored and I don't feel like I've done nothing in the day at the same time. I'm pretty sure keeping a list and lots of writing really works all the time.

So hang in there, Stephanie! Sometimes, we need to face what's real. But, of course, all those little leisurely things are not bad at all. By the way, do you mind sharing about your favorite movies and TV shows? :)

Yeah the original post pretty much fits me too. I really like the feeling when I'm doing something like gaming or watching a T.V. show or movie which I like. It makes me forget all my troubles for a short while.

S8pxph

Yeah, I'm on the pre-med track soooo kinda have to do well in school. I'm still in the running for med school, I just see where this is going so I want to get better at it before I screw up my life. I mean as long as I'm gonna stay on this earth, I gotta do this.

Anyway, I will list the TV shows I love (I've seen every episode of each), and bold the ones that are my favorite:
Firefly
The Big Bang Theory
Bones
House
InuYasha
Angel Beats
Family Guy
South Park
Merlin
Scrubs

Gurren Lagann
Full Metal Alchemist
Chuck

Dollhouse
Angel
Yu Yu Hakusho
Zoids
Gundam
Archer

Now, this list of movies is just the ones that come to mind right now:
A.I.
Serenity
Wristcutters
The Transformers Movies : )
Treasure Planet
Tangled
Any horror movie...
Memoirs of a Geisha
Any of the Avengers movies (Iron Man, Hulk, etc)
Moulin Rouge

I've watched soooo many, those are just the ones that really stand out to me as exceptionally good. Anyway, I'll bet I come up with more later, these are just the ones I can remember right now.

Sardaukar

I used to be motivated, I was going to learn so much, Linux, Cisco, update my A+ and N+, work on my boxing for muay thai, learn a new language,etc

but then things got worse,and now I cant do anything anymore

Sooo I've had motivational issues, but usually I can get through them by telling myself that I just need to buck up and do it. The last couple years, though, I've had a really hard time doing that. It's really starting to take a toll on my school work, my health, and my relationships. All I want to do is lay in bed and watch movies and TV shows. I think it's as an escape, and I've been doing it more because I'm becoming addicted to the feeling I get when I don't have to focus on my own reality. Anyway, I would really like to hear how you deal with lack of motivation because I've run out of steam. I'm letting everyone down, including myself, and I need to fix it.
I'm not sure of your age but I was at a point like this too. It became so much easier to close myself off and just be lazy. It severely hurt my life though and my relationships with my ex girlfriend, friends, family, etc. I became so isolated and I am paying for it now.

I am doing everything I can now to rebuild all my relationships because I realize now that you can't conquer the world on your own, you need support or shoulders to cry on, etc. My whole time before I kept thinking I didnt need anyone when the truth is that I need all the help I can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00