• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Mum’s gone

Holding my breath

SF Pro
SF Supporter
#1
Mum died at 12.04 am this morning. I sat and watched her take her last few breaths before she fell silent.
She had a difficult and unkind death. She was fully aware of what was happening and pleaded for death to come quickly. It came, but not quickly, it came slowly and painfully.
Life feels very cruel at the moment. How can someone be allowed to suffer so much without the help to pass over gently and with dignity. The hospital drs, nurses and physios kept pushing to the end. When she was clearly dying, death rattle and unable to breathe, the physio came in to sit her up to ease her breathing and told her that she would like to get her into a chair. She had no understanding and no compassion. Drs took hours to prescribe the much needed meds to calm her down and we watched as she became agitated, frustrated and scared of what was happening to her.
I would not wish this type of death on anyone. She had a hard, difficult and painful life and died the way she’d lived.
Now my grief is doubled. I’m grieving my Dad as well all over again. A lost generation, the world keeps spinning but now without them in it.
My relationship with my mum has never been easy but I feel lost now without her there.
Coming back home to my own home, a place which feels like it is crumbling down around me and suffocating me. I feel like I live in a builders yard. Nothing finished, walls removed and never replaced, bathrooms gutted and left for years without completion. The contrast between this and my mums home which is neat and tidy and full of everything that was our past family home.
I can’t stop thinking that after my Dad died we, my mums three children’ were not enough for her, to keep her wanting to stay. She asked us not to grieve for long. She asked us to say goodbye and leave.
I know this is the natural order of things, but this is so hard.
 

Windhover

meandering home
SF Supporter
#4
@Holding my breath

Sending warmth and care for you, during the grieving, the doubly sad time. I'm sorry your mom's last days and moments were scary, and so hard. Rest in peace to Holding my breath's mom.

You've had the burden of trauma with you for quite a while. I'm sorry about that - I hope SF helps a little.

You deserve to have your place home-like and peaceful.

hugs if they help

- s
 

Survivorist

Black sheep of my family....
#5
Sorry for your loss. It will take some time to get over that.
Luckily my parents died quickly - my father <mod edit - methods>, my mother died during an operation. I decided a long time ago to go quick - having worked for some months in a home for elder people. No, thank you.

Courage. In some years you realize, that you are the next to go. This as well is not a good feeling.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
#6
No matter how natural it is for our parents to pre-decease us, it is incredibly painful to watch. Especially when the death is a hard one. Our medical system is badly broken when it insists on preserving life, even one in agony. I am sorry this had to be so difficult for both you and your mom. Bless you though for being with her at the end.
 

Holding my breath

SF Pro
SF Supporter
#9
Thank you all so much for your kind words. It’s not even 24 hours ago that she died, but it feels like a lifetime.
Im struggling with negative and sh thoughts this evening which had been under control recently. Strange how something like this can cascade you back into that darker place.
Hugs back to you all.
 

AvidFan

Retired Cat Staff
SF Supporter
#10
I am so sorry to hear of your loss and the experience you and your mother had to go through. I lost both parents, my father relatively quickly and suddenly (short illness, week in hospital then heart attack), my mum had cancer for 18 months and also wanted to go long before she actually went (actually begged me to do it for her at one point, which was horrible because I really wanted to but also couldn't/didn't). I wasn't able to be with her when she died.

It is not surprising that the tide of grief is bringing other things to the surface, it disrupts your entire world and will for some time. Sending you ❤️❤️❤️
 

MisterBGone

~\_✅`,')
SF Supporter
#13
I'm sorry it had to be this way for you, and for her obviously, too @Holding my breath :(
I've always wondered if, those who work in this stage of end of life care, somehow develop a desensitization
to the process. Even more so than others who deal with death, as a result of other means. I don't know, and
maybe, what does it matter? I'm just hoping and wishing for things, to smoothen out and easen or soften for you
as you go forward, and continue to move or carry on, somehow in this life. Take great care of yourself, MisterBGone.
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$25.00
Goal
$255.00
Top