My doctor was rude

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by talkingcrazy, Mar 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. talkingcrazy

talkingcrazy Member

Today I went to the doctor for the first time in like 5 years (I'm 20). I wanted to get help with my depression. It's been so difficult to make the steps to finally reach out and I was super nervous. When I met with my doctor, she asked me really straightforward questions like "Are you depressed" "Do you think of killing yourself".. which I understand but she was very cold about it. When I said that I do think about killing myself often she quickly replied "Well we discourage that" in almost a scolding way. She didn't ask any other questions and told me she was going to put me on prozac and didn't ask me about my anxiety or anything else I mentioned. I don't know what to do... she didn't offer me any information about the medications or any other options. It was just a really discouraging experience.

2. flowers

flowers Senior Member

that is not acceptable. Perhaps the prozac is right for you. But the way she talked to you and conducted the office visit is not acceptible.
    Do you have access to a pdoc or therapist who would know of someone good? Because this woman obviously is not skilled to even talk with someone about emotional issues. I am sorry that happened to you. Perhaps the prozac would help though.I do not know.

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hi hun the thing is most general doctors do not have the skill to help people with depression or anxiety they know the meds but not how to approach the individual with care and compassion

I do hope you continue to reach out though ask your doc about therapy or seeing a pdoc who does have the skills to help you I do hope the medication works it will take awhile to kick in ok so do not expect instant results Talk to your pharmacist who will tell you all about the medication but give it time it takes at least 6 weeks to build up to a therapeutic level and not all meds affect people same way so don't be afraid of side effects ok you many not experiance any of them hugs Prozac is a good medication so i hope it help you hun
    Good for you advocating for yourself good for you hun

4. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I'm sorry you're depressed and had a discouraging time with the doctor. But congrats on being strong and brave enough to go!

I would try not to take how it went too personally.

First of all, no matter why your doctor was cold/abrupt with you, YOU didn't cause it. Some family doctors just don't handle patients in emotional distress very well - they're better at physical ailments.

Some doctors are forced to limit their time per appointment - because of understaffing, because their employer sets the time limits, because they've squeezed a patient in or they have emergency cases waiting, etc., etc. Sometimes their being very direct or even "cold" is the most efficient way for a doctor to get to the heart of things. (Btw, I'm just "explaining", not saying it's right for them to do it.)

Depression exaggerates our negative feelings and how we perceive how others respond to us. Depression is sneaky that way. It's possible that we just get very, very sensitive to even a bit of "matter of factness" when our heart is aching and we want a soft place to land. Especially if it's taken courage to go in the first place. :hug:

I'm glad your doctor did ask the tough questions about suicidal feelings/ideas. (If she seemed scolding, perhaps it's frustration on her part - her job is to help people live, and to hear that we have the opposite feelings must be upsetting.)

It's true, she might have gone over the meds with you. Perhaps she is relying on the pharmacist to do that. (Where I live, the pharmacist ALWAYS asks if I know how to take the meds, what possible side effects are, and do I have questions or concerns.) You could ask the pharmacist, and certainly could call the doctor's office and ask for a call back to go over the meds with you. If you call the doctor's office, you might also ask about when she is expecting you for a follow-up appointment.

Take care and be safe. :arms:

5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi there, I am sorry it was such a discouraging experience for you, personally if I were you I would find another doctor if you're that uncomfortable with your current one. Well, at least you have posted here and I promise the support you will get here will be very promising and encouraging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.