My dog died. I didn't imagine it would hurt this much

Lestat

Hi all, my dog had been ill so I took him to the vets at 4 in the morning as he was crying none-stop. They took blood and then told me they think it might be a tumour on his brain. If the tests come back without any issues it would be this. They gave me a lot of the symptoms and they did fit. I broke down in the office and hugged him as me hugging him was the only thing he liked and would make him settle.

They came back saying nothing was found. They explained he was suffering and should be put down.

I rescued this dog from a family member who 5 years ago was going to put him down because she couldn't cope with him. I trained him and he was a good dog though he now had attachment issues. I would spend every day with him as he would not leave my side. Every day inside and out and he also slept in my bed.

I agreed he should not suffer and I thought that if I kept him around he would just suffer more and more... So I decided it was best. They made me sign my name on some paper and came in with a needle. I hugged him and for the first time in so many years I cried. I cried so much and kept saying "I love you baby. I really do" I kept saying it and he just went limp. Then I was holding my dog who was now dead. They left me in there as I was a mess. I put him on the table and his lifeless body was a shell now. Nothing alive and nothing inside him... Just a body that wasn't him anymore.

I was a mess and they gave me some papers and that was it... I left on my own and his body was left in that room.

I have not cried for so many years. Some really bad things have happened to me but no tears.
I miss him and I always will.

I attached a photo of him from last Christmas.

People brush off pet deaths like they mean nothing. He meant as much as any human to me. He was more loyal and more loving. He never turned on me and always stood by my side.

I miss him

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hi @Lestat Your dog was as beautiful on he outside as he was on the inside. I'm so dearly sorry for your loss. I don't brush off animal deaths, they are human- like to me. I hope as time goes it gets easier for you. I am sure your dog cherished that last hug, he was lucky to have you, very lucky. As I said, so sorry for your loss xxx

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I'm so sorry. Our pets are so important to us. They are our best friends, our confidants, our family, we love them. And nothing can prepare us for the pain of loss when they go. Nobody should dismiss the pain of losing a beloved pet.

The only comfort we can take from it is knowing how much we loved them and they loved us. You gave him a second chance at life and a wonderful five years. He was such a lucky dog to have found you.

Sending hugs xx

Hi all, my dog had been ill so I took him to the vets at 4 in the morning as he was crying none-stop. They took blood and then told me they think it might be a tumour on his brain. If the tests come back without any issues it would be this. They gave me a lot of the symptoms and they did fit. I broke down in the office and hugged him as me hugging him was the only thing he liked and would make him settle.

They came back saying nothing was found. They explained he was suffering and should be put down.

I rescued this dog from a family member who 5 years ago was going to put him down because she couldn't cope with him. I trained him and he was a good dog though he now had attachment issues. I would spend every day with him as he would not leave my side. Every day inside and out and he also slept in my bed.

I agreed he should not suffer and I thought that if I kept him around he would just suffer more and more... So I decided it was best. They made me sign my name on some paper and came in with a needle. I hugged him and for the first time in so many years I cried. I cried so much and kept saying "I love you baby. I really do" I kept saying it and he just went limp. Then I was holding my dog who was now dead. They left me in there as I was a mess. I put him on the table and his lifeless body was a shell now. Nothing alive and nothing inside him... Just a body that wasn't him anymore.

I was a mess and they gave me some papers and that was it... I left on my own and his body was left in that room.

I have not cried for so many years. Some really bad things have happened to me but no tears.
I miss him and I always will.

I attached a photo of him from last Christmas.

People brush off pet deaths like they mean nothing. He meant as much as any human to me. He was more loyal and more loving. He never turned on me and always stood by my side.

I miss him
Dear Lestat, I am so sorry this has happened but you took the right decision. He was an absolutely gorgeous dog - his personality simply shines through in the photograph but you would not have wanted him to suffer. Losing pets is one of the worst experiences ever - we put so much trust and faith in them - they really are our best friends. Non-judgmental, loyal, loving and just always there when you need them. What was his name ..... Take care lovely, and know that he fell asleep in your arms where he felt safe. Much love and hugs to you Lestat. xxxx

Sassy Cat

SF hugger
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Hugs it’s so hard to put your best friend first and that’s what animals are they are your best friend your family. Pets are often there for you more than family. I am so sorry for your loss I know how hard it is but just know you put him first over your own needs hugs stay safe.

Lestat, tears flowed from my eyes as I read your post. I have two rescue dogs who I love and cherish more than many humans who are in my life. I love my dogs with all my heart and soul. Actually losing them is the thing I fear most in my life. They have taught me the meaning of unconditional love.
I am so sad for your loss. Hang in there.

Ruben

It sounds like you’ve had a amazing dog! You know…I think we can all learn from dogs. They are very loving animals. It is true what you are saying, when you lose an animal it is like losing a human. You have a relationship with your dog, so you can miss him as well. It is no different! You loved him very much, I can tell by the things you wrote.

Death is something we can’t control. It’s part of the process in life. Grief is about finding acceptance. Accepting loss. And acceptance will help you to move forward. But you will never forget, he will always be in your hearth

He meant as much as any human to me
I totally understand this. What matters isn't whether it's a human or an animal that you love, but how deeply you love. You can love an animal more than you love a person.

I rescued this dog from a family member who 5 years ago was going to put him down because she couldn't cope with him
You gave him five years of love and life that he otherwise wouldn't have had.

I bet he loved you back just as much

I'm so sorry he's gone, I know how hard it is, I had to let them put one of my hamsters to sleep 8 years ago and I couldn't stop crying for such a long time. It hurts so much to lose a beloved pet, even when they die naturally too. Take all the time you need and be kind to yourself.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00