My Dog Just Died

Discussion in 'Grief and Bereavement' started by BitterandNumb, Sep 23, 2016.

1. BitterandNumb

BitterandNumb Member

I know it's a cliche, and probably not that interesting to complete strangers, but my beloved dog has just passed away today. Her name was Zelda. She was 14 years old, and the past couple of days she had stopped eating, was completely lethargic, having bowel movements while laying down and being unable to get up out of them, and sometimes would start twitching and convulsing, as if she was having a seizure. Before my mother and I even took her to the vet, we were afraid that this would be our last goodbye to her. And sure enough, the vet said she had lost a frightening amount of weight and recommended euthanasia. I held my beloved dog in my arms as her life slipped away from the injection. When I got home, I dug the deepest hole I've ever dug in my life in my backyard, and buried her right there. I still can't believe she's gone. This house feels so empty without her. I feel pretty empty, myself. Not sure how long it will take for this pain to pass.

2. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

@BitterandNumb im so very sorry you lost you dear friend. I've been through this with my last dog and I too held her as she slipped away at the vets. It's the most heartbreaking feeling I've ever felt, I could actually feel her leave and the emptiness after she left devastated me. Nobody understands this feeling unless they've experienced it. There are no words of comfort, but just know that the pain you feel, I understand and grieve with you. Take care of yourself my friend and if you want to talk pm me.
    Brian

BitterandNumb likes this.
  3. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

hugs. take care.

4. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

@BitterandNumb My heart breaks to read this...I've had to hold 2 of my pugs as they passed away, it's devastating. It's been 2 years since my last pug died and even though I have 3 new dogs, I still shed a tear in memory of him. I'm so sorry for your loss. Please take care...Hugs Hugs Hugs

5. Greying

Greying Substandard

Aww this is so sad. Zelda a was a lucky dog to have been loved so much.

Zillions of virtual hugs x

6. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Pets become part of the family after they are with you for so long. I am really sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. I know it is not easy to deal with. But she lived a long and happy life, and you will always have the memories of her. We are here for you. *hugs*

7. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

So sorry to hear of your loss. Pets are such a special part of the family.

8. calvinandhobbs

calvinandhobbs Well-Known Member

I am so very, very sorry for your loss.

9. spacecowboy

spacecowboy Well-Known Member

When I lost (Doll) Baby years ago, I was a blubbering idiot. I helped birth her. Momma had her in my bed. I've not had an animal since then. And I found out shortly afterwards that I'm allergic to cats after having them for years. Where I'm living now, pets aren't allowed. @BitterandNumb, I feel your pain. And am sorry for your loss.