My friend has Anorexia

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by anarulesmenow, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anarulesmenow

anarulesmenow Well-Known Member

Ive battled with eds for years but ive just found out my friend has anorexia.shes been off school for weeks and im going to hers on wednesday.i really want to help her but i dunno how.she doesnt know about my battles but i think id be a good person to help her through it.im not going to be all pro ana with it as i know how terrible it can be.
    how can i help her

2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you have both struggled so much. I'm very glad to hear you won't be pro about it, that means you truly are a very good friend to her.

What do you think would have helped you when you have been at your illest?

Personally, I think that its important to let her know that you are there for her no matter what (if you feel that is something you can do), that you will listen to her if she needs you to, and just generally be there.

Potentially you could be productive for her if she needs you to be too, like going to appointments with her, looking for help/resources for her, giving her useful contacts (like say B-EAT, if you're in the UK).

Do you think sharing your battles with her may help?

3. anarulesmenow

Ok thanks.Thing is i havnt really recovered so i cant really help her in that respect.

4. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

That's ok, its a long battle. The important thing is to ensure you don't make each other worse. Maybe if you both get to a place where you want to recover, you could be recovery buddies and both help each other on your journey.

Just make sure that whatever you do with her, you look after yourself first and foremost, so don't give her too much of you, don't support endlessly, make sure you know your limits and don't push yourself.

5. anarulesmenow

I dont think being recovery buddies would work as noone really knows and i dont want to let them know.Also she might think that im trying to steal her thunder.

6. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Ok, that's ok, but it might be something that may work in the future, or it may not. Was just a suggestion :)

7. anarulesmenow

I know, thanks for the info :)

8. masive

masive Banned Member

Make her bloody eat!!! Force it in to her!!! Beat her untill she eats... some time you have to be cure to be kind x

9. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I'm sorry that you and your friend are having such a hard time. I hope that the forum can help you and your friend. Lean on us...

10. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Sorry, but that's not the way to actually help someone.

11. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

Agreed, Scum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.