• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

My Frustrations with Neurotypical Communication (long rant)

#1
I've spent years trying to figure out why basic human interactions left me feeling like I was trying to decipher an encrypted code. I was told to "read the room," to pay attention to "vibes," and to work on my social skills. I spent endless energy monitoring my speech, my body language, and my eye contact. But over time, I realized the real issue wasn't my lack of awareness. The real issue is that modern social etiquette is often nothing more than a sanctuary for cowardice, passive-aggressiveness, and blatant dishonesty.

We are told that indirectness is "politeness" and that unwritten rules exist to keep the peace. In reality, people routinely weaponize "nuance" as a license for bullshit.

Here is what that actually looks like in practice.

Secret Rules and Hypocritical Explosions

A friend of mine bought his first house. My cousin found out and mentioned it to my brother and me. The next time we saw that friend, my brother warmly said, "Hey, heard you bought a home. Congrats!"

The response? The friend scowled, glared at my cousin, and acted like we had breached state security. Later, my cousin scolded my brother for making him "look bad." Why? Because of some unspoken rule about money, optics, and "signals"—that you aren't supposed to acknowledge someone's financial milestones unless they stage a formal announcement.

If you have sensitive news you don't want spread, say the words: "Please keep this between us." Don't expect people to telepathically calculate your personal insecurities surrounding money, and then throw a tantrum when someone dares to offer a genuine, polite congratulations. Expecting others to play mind reader isn't "social grace"—it's arrogance.

Dating, Ghosting, and the Shield of "Politeness"

The dating world is where this indirect garbage becomes truly insufferable.

I once texted a girl who began giving me one-word replies before completely ghosting me. Later, I found out through a relative that she actually liked me, but was "playing hard to get" and thought I "gave up too soon." If you intentionally act disinterested to test if someone will chase you, you aren't playing a game—you're being manipulative.

In another instance, a girl in college gave me her number, only to tell me later that she wasn't interested and had only handed it over so she wouldn't "hurt my feelings." What she actually meant was that she lacked the basic spine to say "No thank you" to my face, trading my long-term clarity for ten seconds of her own comfort.

I’ve had a family member tell me she's "too busy" and "forgets" to reply to simple texts about family gatherings, yet I watch her spend hours glued to her phone, instantly texting friends at the dinner table. I've had an Instagram connection block me after five minutes of polite, balanced conversation because my profile was allegedly "weird"—a vague, cowardly label given without a shred of explanation.

People hide behind the excuse of "not wanting to be mean," but ghosting and breadcrumbing are infinitely cruel. It is pure selfishness masquerading as tact.

Fake Civility and Deflection

It has been scorching hot in Lisbon recently, to the point where I change shirts three times a day just to stay clean. After a class, I was in an acquaintance's car, felt gross, and explicitly asked her to tell me honestly if I smelled like sweat. She smiled and said, "No, you're fine!"

I didn't believe her. Not because I'm paranoid, but because she is someone who chronically uses white lies to smooth over any hint of awkwardness. When people prioritize "fake civility" over explicit truth, they destroy trust. They force you into a state of hyper-vigilance where you can never take anyone at their word.

Even worse is when people use "social skills" as a weapon to avoid accountability. I once gave my CV to a friend to pass to his boss. The boss glanced at it and called it "weird." When I asked my friend for the manager's name so I could drop it off myself, he refused, telling me: "Dude, you need to work on your social skills. If you're like this, you'll never get a job."

The woman had never even met me. A document was labeled "weird"—without context—and instead of setting a simple boundary like "I'm not comfortable giving out her name," my friend blamed my character. It is the ultimate cop-out: whenever someone feels uncomfortable or incompetent, they declare the other person "socially broken."

The Breakdown: Why This Social Performance Fails Everyone

This isn't an argument against nuance or subtlety. Human communication doesn't need to be literal or robotic 100% of the time. But there is a massive line between genuine social grace and using indirectness as a shield for bad behavior.

1. Rooted in Moral Cowardice

The vast majority of "polite" indirect behaviors—ghosting, false compliments, vague rejections, and silent blocks—are not designed to protect the recipient's feelings. They are designed to protect the sender from experiencing a moment of personal discomfort. It takes courage to say, "I am not interested," or "I don't want to discuss my finances," or "I didn't like how your CV was laid out." Hiding behind hints, white lies, and radio silence is plain cowardice.

2. Wasteful Energy and Self-Inflicted Friction

This behavior creates immense, unnecessary friction for everyone involved:
  • For the recipient: It generates endless hyper-vigilance, confusion, paranoia, and wasted effort trying to decode what was actually meant.
  • For the communicator: It breeds resentment. The woman who says "yes" when she means "no" ends up trapped in situations she hates, resenting the other person for not "taking a hint" that she never had the guts to give.
3. The Weaponization of "Nuance"

When people fail to communicate clearly, they shift the blame onto the person asking for clarity. Telling someone to "read the room" after you deliberately misled them or refused to state your boundaries is gaslighting.

Saying "yes" when you mean "yes" and "no" when you mean "no" will not get you arrested. The truth might cause three seconds of awkwardness, but dishonesty creates weeks of silent, toxic noise. It’s time people stopped calling their conflict-avoidance "politeness" and started callin
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$15.00
Goal
$255.00
Top