• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

My mom has diabetes

#1
Just found out my mom has diabetes. I'm at a loss for words. She doesn't want to go to the doctor and confirm this but she is quite old, is overweight and has some diabetes-like symptoms.
Still, she refuses to see a doctor because, as she says, she is going to be restricted in what she eats. I fucking can't say anything. I'm sorry for swearing.

My dad died because of heart-related issues and now she is taking the same fucking ride. I AM SO DONE AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. She won't listen and just gets angry when I try to persuade her to get medically checked.
 

I Love Tomorrow

Well-Known Member
#2
Dealing with stubborn loved ones who maybe won't consider something for their own good can be difficult. I also say this as someone who is or was probably stubborn at times myself with other's suggestions.

All I can say is that by all means you can offer advice to someone, but try not to be attached to a negative outcome if they make a choice not to accept it. They may have their own reasons too from their perspective. This usually takes time so I wouldn't give up. People can change sometimes, maybe eventually they will consider what they once didn't. Take care
 

Maniae

Well-Known Member
#3
Think we all have dealt with stubbornness.
You could try to be the example for her. Do some research to determine home remedies (meals) that would naturally assist with the care of diabetic eating. And cook those meals a few times a week. Make it a family dinner night or something. You don't have to talk about it just engage in healthy eating habits with her.
And when you are in a calm mind set explain to her how you felt when your dad passed and how devastating it would be to lose her. Let your actions show how much you need her in your life.
I wish you and your family the best outcome.
 

Livelife

SF Supporter
#4
Just found out my mom has diabetes. I'm at a loss for words. She doesn't want to go to the doctor and confirm this but she is quite old, is overweight and has some diabetes-like symptoms.
Still, she refuses to see a doctor because, as she says, she is going to be restricted in what she eats. I fucking can't say anything. I'm sorry for swearing.

My dad died because of heart-related issues and now she is taking the same fucking ride. I AM SO DONE AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. She won't listen and just gets angry when I try to persuade her to get medically checked.
I'm sorry you are having to experience this and your mother's resistance. Along with the other suggestions here, if you care to share, how old is your mother and what are the symptoms that you are seeing? Is that her fundamental concern, that she will have to give up certain foods etc.? As you are aware and just to say in a few words, she will have to change her diet if she wants the opportunity to bring the things under control that diabetes creates. Along with medications if necessary. If you want to talk further about the situation or the disease you're more than welcome to message. And I hope she comes to see things differently.
 

Windhover

meandering home
SF Supporter
#5
@selfhate_braun That's terrible for her to do to herself and deeply sad for you. Does she realize how her lack of self-care is hurtful for you?

I understand that the blood sugar issues of pre-diabetes and diabetes also have consequences for the brain.

This is perplexing, I can't imagine why she's not willing to change her food intake. She loves you so if only for your sake she should tackle this head on.

*console
 

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
#6
@selfhate_braun
Over thirty years ago my Mom refused treatment for lung cancer. It killed her. It can be hard to respect another person's wishes regarding her health, but we had to respect hers. I don't know how old your mom is, or what else is going on in her life, but you may have to respect her wishes as well. I would suggest pushing her some more right now though. There is a lot that can be done for diabetes these days. But, ultimately, it is her choice.
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top