My mood has just gone down, now worrying about losing friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anarulesmenow

I'm Bipolar, and I've just gone into a depressive period which will probably last for about a month. Does anyone else when in a depressive period suddenly start to worry about how many friends they have and about losing them? I've been invited out twice tonight, but because I've just gone down I can't deal with going out, I'm in that sort of mood where I know that I'm going to lock myself in the house for the next month and I worry that in that period of time I'm going to lose my friends.

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
CAn you explain to your friends you are just not well enough right now to be going out let them know you really want to but just are not able to at this point in time If they are real friends you won't loose them hugs

hello,

thanks for posting this. i actually wanted to ask a question related

what do you guys tell your friends when your mood does go down? and how do they react to it?

with me, it's a case of when my mood goes down i try not to say- as i've been practickly forced in to silence. the few people that i have actually told seemed to understand me though

Madam Mim

When I get particularly low, I too cut myself off from everyone and refuse to go out. But thinking about it, I don't think I lose any friends by doing so. It's a cliche, but your true friends will still be there when you come back up (or even better, be there in the meantime, but it's hard if you push them away). Although I don't see some of them for weeks at a time, when I start to feel better I get back in touch, apologise and arrange to meet them.

Masked depressant, I just tell people that I'm having a rough time and apologise for being distant. Most of my friends know me enough to accept that, even though none of them know about my problems.

Mim

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
well the only one i tell my problem to is my therapist my husband well he can see i don't have to say anything. I have no friends i won't make that kind of connection it is too painful so i don't have that problem of telling anyone. I think what has been said though is correct your true friends will stay by you

VALIS

My friends just knew I was eccentric/weird and never heard my diagnosis. I said 'knew' because I stopped going out too and eventually people stopped calling.
I guess just keep up by phone. It's hard to be a friend when sometimes you're social and sometimes you're distant. I understand...

True real friends are the type you will go through the low with and will support you through it and understand....they are very very rare.

real friends, well for me they just chalk it up to my eccentricity

my family, well, that's harder to hide, because hiding causes worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00